UKC

Soft Shell Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JB 26 Jan 2005
Looking for a softshell, something windproof to ward off light rain in Scotland mainly, pref with hood. This is for backpacking and the like as well as climbing so something fairly lightweight would be useful as I run hot.

Was thinking of marmot Driclime...any other ideas?
 Lbos 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: ME microtherm mountain jacket? £60 @ Joe Browns.
 Phil Tucker 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: I'd second that best and most versatile bit of clothing I've bought for a while
Shelley Moores 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB:

Depends how much you want to spend i have just bought a Mountain Hardware Manticore jacket (about £200) as it is guarnteed waterproof, has great ventilation and is extremely light, no fleecey lining like buffalos etc. but i wear it over a fleece anyway so that wasnt an issue for me.

It also has a really roomy hood with a wired peak.

A lot of money but worth it so far.
Anonymous 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: Mountain Hardwear Tempest SL jacket is a good bet for your requirments too,I've used one for last 2 years
 Jon Greengrass 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: i love my sprayway 810 jacket, it kept me toasty warm on top of tryfan and snowdon over the new year with only a thin long sleeve underneath.
Bill Ford-Smith 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB:

The Sprayway Forcefield might be worth a look: new design made from Powershield Lite fabric, with a hood and a pretty decent cut. I've got a Litespeed (simpler version of it), which is excellent. Forcefield should sell for £120.
Rich Brown 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB:
If you're not bothered by the lack of a hood, I've been really impressed with my Mountain Hardwear Synchro jacket. Favourite bit of kit at the moment.
Anonymous 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: Could try the Haglofs Shark Pro, nice kit, just got one myself, only drawback is (for you)no hood.
 ben b 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB: I'd suggest the Rab Vapour Trail as a possibility too, similar to Driclime.

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/review/reviewproduct/mps/RGN/3/RCN/68/RPN/1511...

I run fairly hot but find it about right for me anyway. I gather they've fixed the hood design now.
unclemidge 26 Jan 2005
In reply to JB:

Rab Vapourise Smock, a snap at only £100
Anonymous 27 Jan 2005
In reply to JB:

Marmot Driclime or similiar would be idea. Problem I've always found (backpacking) is that there is not really such a thing as light rain in Scotland.

If you've still got 5 miles to go to your camp site and it starts raining, it's very hard to resist putting on an outer shell jacket. And negating the soft shell concept.

If you do though the DWR outer of the soft shell must, I imagine, provide some moisture managment for the condensation caused by the shell outer. Which is good.

I've tried various microfleece/pertex tops and always gone back to the fleece top/separate windshirt option. It's much more versatile through the seasons. I run cold and am comfortable in a t-shirt and windshirt down to freezing level. Only add the fleece when it goes below freezing.

Anyways, rambling, but separate tops may be something you wish to consider.
kneelessatwork 27 Jan 2005
In reply to unclemidge:

Montane Soft Tech £70 Cotswold Outdoor Online Bargains - great hood, not so good wrist cuffs

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...