UKC

Rock shoe repairs - Where's good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jules King 10 Feb 2005
So where's good?
I can't find any new shoes I like so thinking about resoling some not too worn out old ones.
 oor wullie 10 Feb 2005
In reply to Jules King:
When i was a poor student i found that the wee rubber patches for fixing punctures on your bike made excellent cheap repairs to my rock shoes, they do wear through quite quickly though.
 The Crow 10 Feb 2005
In reply to Jules King:

http://www.cheshireshoe.co.uk did a very good job for me with no fuss and a quick turnaround.
 chris j 10 Feb 2005
In reply to Jules King:

http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/ have always done a good job for me - just sent off a pair of Scarpa Dominators for their 3rd or 4th resole, still damn good shoes even after alla that...
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2005
In reply to chris j et al:

if it's gone through quite badly at the toe, how good a job (if at all) can they do on it?

at what stage do you get them resoled?
 tony 11 Feb 2005
In reply to JonC:

If it's gone through at the toe, they can put a new toe patch on. I've found this to be pretty effective in the past. I've used both feetfirst and cheshire shoes, and I think cheshire shoes are a bit better, but it's marginal.

Unfortunately, you can leave it too late, so if there's deeper damage than just a wee hole in the toe you might find that the overall shape of the shoe is lost. I probably err on the cautious side so I get my shoes resoled before the holes get too serious - I've spent so much time trying to find a shoe that actually fits my foot shape I want to keep the shoes in service for as long as possible.
 JDDD 11 Feb 2005
In reply to chris j:
> (In reply to Jules King)
>
> http://www.feetfirst.resoles.co.uk/ have always done a good job for me - just sent off a pair of Scarpa Dominators for their 3rd or 4th resole, still damn good shoes even after alla that...

I've heard some not too good stuff said about them. Have used them and find the glue they use not very good. I have had soles that start to peel away after a while and the first time I used them, they didn't tell me I needed a patch on the inner sole and hence my new soles split within weeks. Cheshire shoe repairs seem a lot better although I tend to just buy new shoes now as I only get through one lot every other year or so.
 Bruce Hooker 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Jules King:

The bloke in the van at the Trois Pignons is pretty good, you'd want to be in the area for it to be economical though! He reglued and tidied up the sole of one of mine which had just come a little unstuck - I went for a walk while he was doing it - and when I asked him how much he wouldn't take any payment.

Good businessman too, I bought a guide book off him which I didn't really need just to say thanks.
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Jon Dittman:

I had a bad experience with Feet First but on Nepal Tops (sole peeled away - unfortunately mid route in Scotland...).

> I only get through one lot every other year or so.

You must be light on your feet...
 chris j 11 Feb 2005
In reply to JonC: I normally find the toe wears through first so I end up getting 4mm stealth half soles and toe patches. Normally have it done when there's enough of a hole to see the leather underneath but before any stitchings been abraded. I would say the performance is as good after resoling as it is before, I can stand on much smaller crystals comfortably using my much abused dominators than a pair of newish red chillis...

As i say, my experience with feet first is at least one set of rock shoes resoled a year for the last 10 years or so and no problems. I appreciate others may have different stories to tell.
 Skyfall 11 Feb 2005
In reply to chris j:

thanks

my old 5-10 pinks are well past it then - gaping hole in toe!
 Graham T 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Jules King:
Use cheshire shoes,
Both myself and some mates have had issues with the quality of the resole from feet first.
On one pair of mine the new rubber delaminated within a fortnight
 earlsdonwhu 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Graham T: Agree ,Cheshire better than Feet First
 Graham T 11 Feb 2005
In reply to earlsdonhammer:
Also the blokes that do it are cool.
I've got some 5-10 southwests, and didn't know if they could be resoled so phone them up and had a chat. Result was that mine have now been resoled twice
 Jenn 11 Feb 2005
I can't recommend Feet first - they stretched out my shoes. However I do have very small feet (UK 4.5).

Jules King 11 Feb 2005
In reply to Bruce Hooker:

This is exactly what I want, the re-sole is for a font trip!!
Thanks to all for the advice, Cheshire it is for the future.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...