UKC

Has anyone used an Alpkit Phud mat?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mr_sceptical 27 Mar 2005
I am looking for a small, cheap mat. The Alpkit Phud seems to be ideal for this, at only £60, but this seems to be too good to be true. A quick google and a search of here, and ukbouldering.com didn’t turn up any user reviews, has anyone used one of these?

If so, is it actually any good, or would I be better off spending a little more for a red chili (which I can probably get for £80)? Does anyone have any recommendations for anything similar?

I appreciate that a larger mat makes more sense, but I’m not sure how much use I will get out of it, as well as having limited storage and car space so small and cheap seems the way to go.

Thanks.

Tom
 Fraser 27 Mar 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical:

You must be reading my mind - I've been wondering just the same thing, although there is a review/feedback section on the Alpkit site itself, and the comments were very favourable.

When you compare size for size (incl thickness) this product comes up tops. Compare the following:

- Red Chilli = 122 x 92 x 10cm apx. £100 (where have you seen the RC for £80?)
- Alpkit Phud = 130 x 100 x 10cm = only £60 !!!
- Flashed Temple - 137x92x8cm apx £140
- Franklin DropZone 2 = 102 x 120 x 8.75cm apx. £140
- Pod Super Crash Pad = 130 x 100 x 8cm apx £130
- Moon Large Crash mat= 120 x 85 x 8cm
- Metolius Large = 120 x 91 x 8cm

Most mats seem to be only around 8 or so thick - so these 2 (Red Chilli and Alpkit) are more the exception, rather than the norm. It's difficult to get info out of manufacturers regarding the spec.s of densities for their open and closed cell foam. I've been trying with very limited success. So far, only Metolius and Flashed have replied to my e-mails.

The review of the Phud states the foam is top grade....but you pays your money and takes your choice!

I'd be very interested to hear what others have to say, as I'm definitely in the market for a good mat, as well as having my own design costed at the moment, just in case I decide to go down that line and have a bespoke mat. (I've been looking at a big, '3-segment', double hinged option at 14cm thick, with 1000 denier Cordura cover. Also it'll be 3-ply: 35mm closed cell > 85mm open-cell > 20mm closed cell)

Fraser 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Fraser:

....and it'll be very heavy! :-/
extreeemclimber 27 Mar 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: My honest opinion, you get what you pay for!

However, looking at the price and the number of middle men that they've cut out, you might very well get EXACTLY what you've paid for!
OP mr_sceptical 27 Mar 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: Thanks.. I can get the Red Chili with a 20% off deal I get through my uni club. I am not overly fussed by weight as I won't be carrying it that far, but was more concerned with how well it worked/did it fall apart on the first time out/is it impossible to carry, that kind of thing, or is there something out there that is better for similar money.
OP mr_sceptical 27 Mar 2005
In reply to Fraser:

'although there is a review/feedback section on the Alpkit site itself, and the comments were very favourable.'
>

Yes, I saw this, but something tells me that they are unlikely to put negative feedback on their site.

Your mat design sounds great, but I don't think it would fit in my house, let alone car!
Postman Nick 27 Mar 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: I have no idea what the crack is on the alpkit mats, but I'd seriously warn against the red chilli pads - far too soft, throw in the price of a night out and buy something with some shock absorbtion from pod or whoever. In a coupe of years time you'll have forgotten the money but you'll be stuck with the pad!
chalked up 28 Mar 2005
I used an Alpkit "phud" the other day and it geve me much more confidence than using my own red chilli pad. At the price there is no contest!
alan
 Fraser 28 Mar 2005

I was beginning to have second thoughts about the size myself, but as it's hinged twice, it'll still be smaller than, say, the Moon Giant Landing pad or Metolius XXL , which felt potentially sail-like when I tried it on in 'ruck-sack mode'. I'll let you know if/when I get one made-up, assuming the price makes it worth it.

In reply to Chalked-up:

I'd thought that even if you get 2 Phuds, you've still only spent £120, and you have either a very big mat at 2m x1.3m x 10cm thick, or for major highballs, you could stack them securely (exta velcro maybe?) and you've got a smaller mat but twice the thickness. Hopefully you don't land on an edge!
OP mr_sceptical 28 Mar 2005
In reply to chalked up:

Thanks, thats the kinda thing I wanted to hear! At least I can rule out the Red Chili if people think they are pants.

Jungle Jim 28 Mar 2005
For reference the ALPKIT Phud uses:

25mm PE40 Cross-Linked Closed Cell Foam. 25kg/m3 (approx)
75mm RX21 HLB (High Load Bearing) Open Cell Foam. 21kg/m3 (approx)

Jim from alpkit.
 Fraser 29 Mar 2005
In reply to Jungle Jim:

Cheers for the open info. policy!

To be honest, I reckon I'll prob just end up getting a Phud (or two!), and be done with all the hassle of sourcing suppliers and 'fabricators'.

F
 Simon Caldwell 29 Mar 2005
Can't comment on the blodering mat, but I've just got a pair of their walking poles and they're excellent. Lighter than the Leki super-lightweight ones and half the price. Of course I've only used them for 3 days so they may fall apart next week but so far they're too-good-to-be-true-but-true-anyway.
 DNS 31 Mar 2005
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

I saw one of their headtorches yesterday. Buy one? For a fiver it would be rude not to.
sticky 31 Mar 2005

I was trying to chose a mat a couple of weeks ago and whittled my choices down to a Franklin Dropzone or an Alpkit Phud. The Dropzone came highly recommended, but was twice the price of the Phud (which no one had heard of).

I decided to go for the Phud and have been very impressed, although it's only had two outings so far. It's thick, firm, easy to lug round and looks good. I don't know how long it will last (looks pretty tough), but at the price I can afford to replace it and still not be out of pocket!
 Lbos 04 Apr 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: Anyone had any more experiences with these?

Cheers.

P.S. I hope these become standard issue at the price!
hugedyno 04 Apr 2005

Just had chance to test this. Bought it on the strength of this thread.

What a brilliant mat! Thick, doesn't bottom out (unlike the Metolius XXL, which a mate did his ankle thru), well-made solid construction, nice colour, super cheap, bigger than I thought (dwarves my old S7 mat), lightweight.

Roll on summer, bring on those highballs/solos!

H.D.
OP mr_sceptical 04 Apr 2005
In reply to hugedyno + all: Cool! that settles it! Will be putting my order in as soon as I get back to uni, and within 100 miles of rock!

Thanks for all the input.

Tom
 Ropeboy 04 Apr 2005

Can't comment on the mat, but purchased some kit on-line late Friday evening and very surprised AND pleased when it arrived this morning, excellent service.

J
 Fraser 12 Apr 2005
In reply to hugedyno:

Just took delivery of the Alpkit 'Phud' and it looks and feels fantastic.

Just itching to try it out this weekend. At that price,(£60) how can you go wrong?!
jamie H 12 Apr 2005
Yes, must also comment on the service. I ordered a Phud a few weeks ago - late Friday, got it Monday morning. Excellent. Looks and feels top notch - still waiting to try it out, but it is thicker/larger than most mats over twice the price. It seems quite light (although i have nothing to compare it against), and is definitely worth 60 notes of anyones money i'd say, especially as that includes postage, which was about £8 on my mat - making the mat itself only about £50 !!! Superb.

Looking forward to alpkit's forthcoming inflatable camp mat to challenge the therma-rest etc

Jamie
IainM 12 Apr 2005
In reply to Fraser: How did they fit it through your letterbox?
jon 12 Apr 2005

I bought one for my first mat last week, and although I don't really have anything to compare it against I have to state that I'm very impressed with the Phud. It's more than tough enough for what I need and is light and looks nice. I can't really see how I could have justified spending twice as much for one of the "recognised" brands. If I had to moan about anything I would rather it had rucksack style straps instead of a single shoulder strap, but that is being very very picky.

Would recommend them to anyone......

Jon
 Fraser 12 Apr 2005
In reply to IainM:
> (In reply to Fraser) How did they fit it through your letterbox?

Oh, they omit to tell you it's a virtual mat, hence the bargain price.

Falling's all in the mind, apparently.
 paulguy 22 Apr 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: I got an alpkit thud two weeks ago, the foam seems ok (maybe need more than one mat for the high stuff) but does anyone know what kind of outer they use? I just put a massive hole in mine whilst doing a bit of early morning bouldering today, tore through the foam and everything. It's still pretty useable and that, but I'm a little surprised at how easily this happened. I the type of person that likes the new and shiny effect to last as long as possible as my mates will testify.

wayne m 22 Apr 2005
In reply to mr_sceptical: hello

I thought you didn't like bouldering?!

I've got the Franklin drop zone, which you can try out when you get back if you want. I think it's the best mat I've used and I've used quite a few, depends if you think it's worth forking out the extra cash for.

Wayne
smonki 22 Apr 2005
In reply to jamie H: Inflatable camp mat?.....When?As was going to look into getting a decent therma-rest but if something better is coming out then im more than interested.
Any info????????????????
OP mr_sceptical 22 Apr 2005
In reply to wayne m: Cheers Wayne... just got back from Mallorca, its was great. See you shortly!
 Timmd 22 Apr 2005
In reply to paulguy:Try getting in touch and grumbling,i got a free head torch after posting on here about it breaking after a day and a half.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...