UKC

Save Longstone Edge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Chris the Tall 15 Apr 2005
As discussed at last nights Peak Area Meeting....

Here is the link to Roy Hattersley's article: http://observer.guardian.co.uk/focus/story/0,6903,1446441,00.html

Here is the group's website:
http://www.longstone-edge.org.uk

The point I mean't to make last night when my mind went blank (very embarrassing - altzheimers at my age!) was that there seems to be a fear that the PDNPA will drop the case rather than risk massive legal costs should they lose. It important that we keep the pressure up on the PDNPA not to back down and so turn a blind eye to illegal quarrying - the consequences could be catastrophic.

And then of course there's the related issue of why the National Parks, used by 10s of millions of people, receive less money from the government than the Royal Opera House.....
 john horscroft 15 Apr 2005
In reply to Chris the Tall:

This really is an enormous issue. If they gat away with quarrying Backdale, nowhere in the Peak is safe. Do we really want that?? Are climbers going to sit on there hands and bleat that "the BMC should have done something about it" or are they going to get writing to MPS and join the Save Longstone Edge campaign. Your choice..........
Bob Bennett 15 Apr 2005
Whilst having a vested interest in this argument as an employee of Glebe Mines, I would point out that in lumping together the Glebe/Backdale/Stancliffe operations at the end of his article, the Rt Hon. Hattersley is displaying a gross ignorance of the detailed facts.
Quarrying digs large holes in the Peak which remain in perpetuity. Vein mineral extraction , the work that Glebe does, involves the removal of the mineral , bacffill with waste stone , and reclamation to original state.
No development is allowed to go forward unless comprehensive restoration plans are in place at the outset.
 john horscroft 15 Apr 2005
In reply to Bob Bennett:

Point taken Bob and I think everyone at last night's meeting understands the distinction now. We should be fighting the expansion of Backdale, period..........
 john horscroft 19 Apr 2005

Bump..................

Or do climber's simply not care about stuff like this and they'd rather spend their time discusiing the best album of all time or what they're having for dinner.............

jh ducks..................
 john horscroft 20 Apr 2005

Just as I thought...............
Derbyshire Ben 20 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft:

Wooah hang on JH... I spent a good half hour yesterday reading the material on the website, printing off the form _and_ mailing a cheque.

The trouble with this medium is that sometimes there's no adequate way to respond adequately, particularly with time pressures at work. It's the same with the bouldering impact threads here and on UKB.. (which I'm for BTW, but I'd like to see input from more people like Andy R and Phil who seem to know what they're talking about)...

You're not just howling in the wilderness and getting a null response...

Ben
DaveC at Work 20 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft: My partner & I have both sent cheques off now as well John.
In reply to DaveC at Work:

Sorry chaps. Sometimes I just feel impelled to howl in the wilderness.

Sometimes I even get a responding howl...............
 Adam Greenwood 20 Apr 2005
In reply to john horscroft:

You'll even be able to go and howl at Great Wolfrey after May 28th, next full moon after that is June 28th FYI.

I also read the longstone edge article, and have a cheque ready to post.

Cheers, A
In reply to Adam Greenwood:

Cheers Adam. They need all the help they can get....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...