UKC

the great big soft shell con.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
imprisoned climber 04 May 2005
hi guys

i am in the market for a soft shell or linded windshirts.

i don't want buffalo or montane.

i want a lighter weight version (no pile) to use running and for climbing in the alps. i am considering marmot driclime (i can get for £49),
http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/Mail_Order_Windproofs_40.html

a Rab VR top (no hood i can get for £40),
http://www.rab.uk.com/products_base_vrtop.html

MHW tempest SL jkt (£65) is the hood removeable?
http://shop.themountainfactor.com/product.php?xProd=261&xSec=122&js...

patigonia velocity shell jkt (£50).
http://shop.themountainfactor.com/product.php?xProd=105&xSec=56&jss...

any thought please from people who have used the jkts. thanks.
In reply to imprisoned climber: Probably not that helpful but I've got a karrimor lightweight soft shell (£20 when karrimor shop closed down) its about the same weight as a Dri-Clime and is great for running cycling and summer alpine, rarely wear anything else now.
Iain Ridgway 04 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: I have a buffalo and a Rab VR, they arent the same thing, one I use for full winter and one Ill use for running in very cold conditions or warmer weather. horses for courses and all that.
Mick's Daughter @ Work 04 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber:

I've got an Arc'teryx but that wont help you much. Of the ones on your list I'd go for the MHW Tempest SL. It's a great jacket and everyone I know who's got one, loves it. The only reason I bought the other one was because there were no Tempests in women's sizes anywhere in London when I needed one.
imprisoned climber 04 May 2005
In reply to Mick's Daughter @ Work: what types the arc'terx? and how much did it cost you?
 Wibble Wibble 04 May 2005

I can recommend the MH SL jacket. The hood isn't removable, but it rolls away quite nicely. I like the pit zips (sweaty bastard) and the cut.
 madmo2991 04 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: i have the rab vr top with the hood, excellent jacket gets used for everything from climbing and walking on hot days, cycling to work, and climbing and walking on colder days too, like one person said its warm when your cold and its cool when your warm. alot of the time its all i'll take if i'm going for a weekend anywhere, and it can be beefed up a bit by wearing either a thermal top or carrying your normal waterproof jacket incase it really pelts down, it has a hood too so i dont' bother taking a hat. kind of thing that would be great in the alps cause its light and covers a wide range of uses. but it is £100 so maybe the driclime would be good

I've got the Gamma MX hoody and it's great. I can't remember how much I paid for it but in S+R they're currently £260 before discounts.
Tobs at work 04 May 2005
In reply to Mick's Daughter @ Work: £260! does that come with a sherpa/shoeshine!?
 Skyfall 04 May 2005

I have a Marmot Dri-Clime stretch jacket. The stretch really does work and means it's great to climb in, it's really quite waterproof and all you need when out cragging, and just - well - works. Nice variety of pockets etc for keys, wallet too if you want to take them with you up the route rather than leave them at the bottom of the crag.

With a base layer has proven ideal in spring. Would need extra layers in winter. So size accordingly.

From my pre-purchase hunt for a soft shell, I would say that the Vapour Rise is much warmer. The Dri Clime strecth is also fully zipped which makes it more flexible in terms of venting etc. Personally I find half zipped tops such as the Vapour Rise a bit of a pain. Buffalo even warmer than the VR (I have an old one which I rarely use - far too warm except for winter).

It does depened a bit upon whether you run hot or cold ie metabolism and feeling the cold etc.
 steev 04 May 2005

I've been using my Driclime for a few years now and it's superb for just about everything (running, biking, climbing) except when it's either really hot or really cold. THe only gripe I have is that mine doesn't have a draw cord for the waist so it can get in the way of gear loops sometimes (I think the newer ones have drawstrings).

I reckon all the tops you've listed are pretty much of a muchness having tried most of them on. My advice would be either to choose based on fit, colour or price, depending on where your priorities lie. You're not going to regret buying any of them.

Out of interest, where can you get a Rab VR top for £40?
In reply to Tobs at work:

No but I may have just found a suitable substitute ;~P
 Simon K 04 May 2005

Got a Patagucci Velocity for running, climbing & walking - very good and very water resistant + breathable. But not particularly hard wearing.

HTH
SK
Max Gough 04 May 2005
In reply to Tobs at work:

Rock & Run have got the Gamma MX Hoody on at £165 at the moment, if it helps. I've had one for a couple of years and love it to bits, used in Scottish and Welsh winter and Alpine summer, plus plenty of year-round walking, scrambling and general abuse in the UK and NZ - hard to fault really!
 Ridge 04 May 2005
In reply to Max Gough:
> (In reply to Tobs at work)
>
> Rock & Run have got the Gamma MX Hoody on at £165 - hard to fault really!

It's not hard to fault at all:

One

Hundred

and

Sixty

Five

Quid!!!!!!!!!

Cordy 04 May 2005

You say no Montane - i assume you're talking about their pile / pertex stuff?

They do a very good soft shell called the Dyno if you've heard of it? Pretty lightweight and more durable for climbing etc.
Max Gough 04 May 2005
In reply to Ridge:

I know this is a minefield - one man's pocket change is another's life savings and all that, but even speaking as someone who's not particularly well paid, I don't think that's an unreasonable sum to pay for such a good piece of gear.

Some of their kit is a bit overpriced (£90 for a pair of shorts for example might be hard to justify), but knowing how breathable, comfortable, versatile and hardwearing the MX Hoody is (from extensive personal experience), I'd have no hesitation in recommending it as good value for money, and a veritable bargain with £100 off!
O Mighty Tim 04 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: Where's Captain Paranoia when you want him?
Peter Storm (Titter ye not!) have impressed the socks off our resident kitmonster, with a soft shell. One guy on a stand at the Outdoor Show thought it was Patagonia...

IIRC it was about £40.
 Ridge 04 May 2005
In reply to Max Gough:
Fair point, just can't get my head round paying that much for a jacket, even with the £100 off.
Then again I am a Yorkshireman..
 2pints 04 May 2005

Vapor Rise Rab smock

I got one and it's the bollox, awesome, not too warm, not too cold unless I'm standing around.

Shrugs off a shower easily enough, nice cut, pockets in the right place, wicks well.Can't fault it really except a bit miffed as to why it has a hood though...
 vscott 04 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: from personal experience-

marmot driclime, less warm than rab, but a bit more windproof

rab- warmest and most durable of the lot

MHW- most water resistant, correspondingly less breatheable, also less duable than other two above.
In reply to O Mighty Tim:

> Peter Storm (Titter ye not!) have impressed the socks off our resident kitmonster, with a soft shell

Well, I wouldn't go that far. For £45 rrp, it's a reasonable Schoeller Dynamic clone. The DWR isn't as effective as some, it has no hood, and the pockets are hip-mounted. I think the fabric would be too heavy for the running application.

For running, I'd guess you'd want to wear the thing next to the skin, with no hood. In which case, there's a huge choice of microfibre/micropile offerings, all of which are pretty similar.

BH Rage/Fury (jacket/smock)
Marmot DriClimes (of many varieties)
Macpac Matrix (DryLoft or Epic shell, depending on age)
Montane Krypton smock (hooded)
Montane Hyperlite jacket (full zip, no hood)
Rab Vapour Rise (I'd agree it's warmer than the others)
Buffalo Techlite
MHW Tempest SL (Conduit shell, so waterproof), may be a bit hot for running?
TNF Bilayer
ME Microtherm (zip-off sleeve version might be interesting for running?)

But sorry, I have no personal experience of the jackets you're looking at. I do have a Patagonia Stretch Zephur which uses a similar fabric to the Velocity, which, whilst the DWR is excellent, I find a bit clammy compared to similar microfibre/micropile jackets.
Hamish 04 May 2005
Both the Mountain Hardwear and Marmot are great jackets, I've got the MH but without a hood and it goes with me everywhere, I've only found it too warm at the height of summer, but for the rest of the year I use it for running, biking and climbing. It's reasonably compressable and dries quickly.
Mick's Daughter @ Work 05 May 2005
In reply to Max Gough:

That sounds closer to what I paid. I definitely didn't pay over £200 for my Gamma.
Liathac 07 May 2005
In reply to imprisoned climber: I tried a buffalo and I tried a Paramo (gave it my son in the end) and went back to a simple polartec 200 top by TNF and a Keela Andy Muir smock.
blue_bus 09 May 2005
Dont have personal experience with these but:
Some friends have the Arcteryx Gamma and love it. its on the heavy side - not for running.
I personally have a Tatonka Malcom Jacket which i LOVE, and here's why:
- relatively Light weight (500g)
- good combination of breathability and weather repellency for moderate use (i have used it alone down to about freezing.
- Zip off sleeves very important feature for me since allows for temp control
- combined core vents (similar to TNF style) with mesh pockets. allow ventillation and some space for storage.
- hem drawcord
- neck drawcord!!
- made from Pontetorto NoWind...lesser known brand than Schoeller

Even if you get another brand - i would seriously think about zip off sleeves as a must...when i get hot i get really hot!!
Golite has similar model as well http://www.golitestore.com/store/NS_proddetail.asp?number=AM1804
Cheers
Mike

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...