UKC

Urban climbing in manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
the armchair climber 23 Mar 2002
I started uni in Manchester back in September and since ive hardly been climbing at all, being so weak now i have to ask friends to open packets of crisps for me.
Does anyone know of any bridge/cannal tunnel type places, or just anything that isnt in doors in the vicinity?
Ta very much.
grahamw 23 Mar 2002
In reply to the armchair climber:
not sure on the bridges, but you could always get out of your armchair, take a bus or tram to a number of local crags/ quarries, for example dovestones/ wimberry (near ashton), Deeply Vale (near Bury), Wilton (Bolton) alll within 30 mins bus ride
lots & lots of other alternatives
contact me for more info. if you like
graham
markj 24 Mar 2002
In reply to the armchair climber: the old victorian water pumping station at the end of moseley road is good for traversing. Its behind ram computers. Its fenced off but the local scallies have usually pulled it down.
Dan 24 Mar 2002
The Bridge under the Mancunian way is apparently good for a few hours. Its on the path that Connects UMIST to Upper Brook St (running next to Princes Rd)
OP Anonymous 24 Mar 2002
Thanks alot for yer help lads
 sutty 24 Mar 2002
In reply to Anonymous:
If you feel really lazy you can get the bus to Hobson Moor, two minutes walk from the bus stop.
 TobyA 25 Mar 2002
In reply to sutty: Hobby Moor is easy to get to on the bus and so is New Mills Torrs via train. Its where we used to go when I was a carless student in Manchester, better than traversing so horrible bridge wall.
Postie 25 Mar 2002

What about the Ellis Brighams wall in Castlefield? Is that still there?

Hobson Moor has got to be the venue of choice.
OP parper 25 Mar 2002
In reply to Postie: hobson moor is a venue of choice...

last time i was there some local scallies were digging up the turf (wot turf?) in order to build ramps for their cycles...

still there is some classy problems...
Rob 25 Mar 2002
In reply to the armchair climber: Got the bus from Oldham St (just off Piccadilly gardens) on Sunday to Greenfield station (£2.50 return, and lovely views of Oldham!). From there 1 hr walk to Dovestones. Had the crag to ourselves, lovely dry grit and it was sheltered from the wind.
The train to Hathersage is also an easy option.
You can do loads without a car from Manchester in the summer. Unlike the frustrating winter I've just spent not being able to north without a car

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...