UKC

Mountain Guides

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
PT 09 Apr 2002
I am looking into hiring a guide in the french alps for a day or so. I am new to winter mountaineering and would like to do some while I am over there in the summer. I have most of the kit, I would like to hire a guide so I can learn a bit more.
Does anyone know any decent guides and approx costs.
Or does anyone know of any easy walks that I can do.
Thanks in advance
 ian bryant 09 Apr 2002
In reply to PT:
try walter phipps at
walter_inthemountains@hotmail.com

very good alpine guide i and my friends have used extensively. £175 per day.

i think he may be very busy this summer though.
 LizS 09 Apr 2002
In reply to PT:
You could try the BMG web page (bmg.org.uk) and look for a fully qualified guide who works in the Alps in summer (aspirants have to be supervised by a full guide). However, as Ian says, most will be fully booked by now. Guides may also charge you for travelling to your location, food and any overnight accommodation, tho they do get accommodation free at CAF huts and discounts on cable cars etc).

If you want some walks to do and you are going to the Chamonix valley there are local walking maps you could buy (I bought mine for about £2 at the campsite) which grade the difficulties of the paths in the area, or you could look around the bookshops here for more comprehensive walking guides. If you don't have glacier skills then you should stay below the snow-line or go with a guide or with a friend who's experienced.

Depending on your age the Conville 3-day alpine courses for young people may be suitable for you - and a lot cheaper - but dates and availability are not guaranteed. Have a look on the BMC website.

Good Luck!

Liz
OP DaveT 09 Apr 2002
In reply to PT:

If your 18-25 plas y brenin do a cheap course (about £200) which is a bargain compared to most others. Similarly ISM do one for students for around £400 (i think including accomodation) which is still quite cheap. Check out their websites for details:

http://www.pyb.co.uk

http://www.alpin-ism.com
 Doug 09 Apr 2002
In reply to DaveT:
If you speak French consider a 'stage' with UCPA (www.ucpa.fr or www.ucpa.com I think) - good value for money.

Also many of the bureau des guides offer the chance to join an ad hoc group which should be cheaper than paying for a guide just for yourself
Arran Willis 15 Apr 2002
In reply to PT:

Here's the list of British Mountain Guides, they're amongst the world's best. Personally I'd recomend Nick Parks if yo can get him off a pair of skis

www.bmg.org.uk

Arran

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...