UKC

Greenland where to start

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dave Flanagan 30 Aug 2005
Thinking about a trip to Greenland next summer to backpack, fish, scramble and boulder.

Its a big place and am finding it hard to narrow down the search. Where would be a good place to spend some time?

It seems flights are around 600euro from Denmark, is this about right? Where would one find out about hiring a boat for a lift up the coast. Would it be possible to be dropped off by boat leaving food caches on the way and then walking back.

When is the best time to go? Ausgust. Would two weeks be long enough?

Anyother informatio, ideas or links would be great. Thanks
Steve Reid 30 Aug 2005
In reply to Dave Flanagan:

I've had a few good climbing trips to Greenland. To get an idea of the different areas have a look at Paul Walker's Tangent website http://www.tangent-expeditions.co.uk/ . Generally your biggest expense is travel so the closer you are to where you arrive the cheaper your trip will be. Another big cost can be excess baggage so food, stoves, tents etc are best shipped out in advance by a freight agent. I can recommend Arbuckle Smith in Glasgow. Two weeks is OK, but obviously the longer you can take the more you get for your money. I've always gone for 3 weeks myself. The weather should be OK in August, but if you are down near the coast, Mossie Nets and Repellant are essential! If you are interested in climbing at all there are two articles in old American Alpine Journals that detail nearly all the older expeditions and it's reasonably easy to find out what has been done since.
 Tenmo 05 Sep 2005
In reply to Dave Flanagan: I did a trip in Northwest Greenland in October. Flew from Copenhagen to Kangerlussuaq and got internal flight to Illulissat on the west coast.

It's a good town to use as a base - we set up in the hostel there which was not overly expensive. We bought all the food and supplies we needed in the supermarket there. It wasn't expensive when you consider everything has to be flown in - about the same price as London or Dublin. Alcohol is more expensive!

We trekked up the coast and stayed in a tent and in wooden huts. The "tourist office" in Illulissat was very helpful in identifying where we could stay and where there were huts for rent. We also found getting a boat back is no real issue as everyone gets around by boat - they kinda have to as there are no roads.

Look at the lonely planet book and www.greenland.com - the forums there were good - the moderator always seems to answer any questions you might have.

Good luck and enjoy!!!

P.S. I have heard if you go in summerthe mozzies are unbelieveable - bring light trousers, shirts, sprays, headnets, guns, nuclear arms, etc.
LINDHOLM 07 Sep 2005
In reply to Dave Flanagan: As i Danish guy, formerly been living (and working as an outdoor guide) in Greenland, I would certainly recommend you to use Kangerlussuaq (Sondre Stromfjord as your base). If you have the time do the trek betweeen that and then Sisimiut. A very beautiful walk with all the posibilities you ask for> crags, lakes to fish in and one of the most beautifull routes ive ever seen.

If you have some time visit the Russel Glacier as well, bring a tent and enjoy life...

LINDHOLM
 tobyfk 07 Sep 2005

> Any other informatio,

Watch out for belligerent Canadians

http://www.guardian.co.uk/elsewhere/journalist/story/0,7792,1559064,00.html
 Tenmo 07 Sep 2005
In reply to tobyfk: Those pesky Canadians....only last week I had to chase two of them out of my back garden - I think they were trying to claim it as it lies on a crucial part of the route from New York to London.
Stark 07 Sep 2005
I'd perhaps even give Paul Walker a ring and see what information he can help you with?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...