UKC

Northern limestone ranges

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob 30 Oct 2005
Does anyone know of either English language or topo guides to ranges such as the Karwendal, Kaisegebirge, Stubai and Wetterstein. These stretch eastwards from just north of Innsbruck to give some idea of location. Lots of limestone faces in the 200-400m range with some up to 800m.

I have seen some guides in German, but I'm not too hot in that lingo. There used to be some West Col guides but these will be well out of date now.

Bob
 sutty 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Bob:

I have not found any when searching for things Bob but there must be some, even if they are in German. Perhaps one of the people living out there may know of them, topos may be useful if detailed enough as there is often enough of the language known to make a good guess at where things go.

If I see any I will let you know. Not checked on Summitpost, Peakware or this site yet;

http://alpinisme.camptocamp.com/en/index.html
 IPPurewater 30 Oct 2005
In reply to Bob: Bob, I have the old West Col english language Kaisergebirge guide. It is rather inaccurate ! When over there I bought the German language topo guide. If you use this with a glossary of German climbing terms, and ask the hut guardian for advice, you should be ok.
 StefanB 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Bob:

As far as I know, there is no English guide available. However, there is a topo-guide with very clear symbols and diagrams. It's published by Röther and has something like "Süd Bayern Nord-Tirol" in the name. Sorry, I don't remember the full name, but I bough it for the library of my Spanish climbing club, as it was the best guide for non-German speakers that I found. There is also a CD (sold seperate) which complements it with maps and photos.

sutty 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Bob:

There were some articles in Climber a while back about Austria but mainly walking by Claude Davies? I think. A climber who may know of anything there. Contact the mags to see if they have any contacts still.
alastairm 31 Oct 2005
In reply to Bob: Try the Cicerone website. They publish a northern limestone guide in English and klettersteig guides to the Stubai area.
OP Bob 31 Oct 2005
In reply to alastairm:

I have seen the Klettersteig book on the Cicerone website but no climbing guides to the general area only walking ones.

Bob
Johno 31 Oct 2005

In reply to Bob:

As far as I know there are no guides in English for the northern limestone ranges. Your best bet would be the topo guides published by Panico for the respective ranges (www.panico.de). They are very exhaustive, up to date, pretty accurate and, being topos, fairly easy to understand. I use them all the time. If you need any more help, mail me. I live in Munich and climb regularly in the areas you mentioned.

Cheers
Geoff

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...