UKC

Climbing in Germany

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matt D M 01 Nov 2005
Can anyone point me in the direction of some decent climbing areas in germany, as me and a couple of friends are looking to go out there next summer.

We're going to be staying near munich but can travel quite a bit, and we're not too experienced so a nice mix of easier and harder routes would be ideal.

Cheers
Prague 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M: Google "Frankenjura".
 StefanB 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Prague:
> (In reply to Matt D M) Google "Frankenjura".

oe even "Alps".
Sorry. that's not too helpful. There is good climbing in the northern limestone ranges (see Bob's thread about guide books). Kamptenwand near Chiemsee is probably the lowest, so should be doable outside summer. Many classics in in the Kaisergebirge for the summer months.
Kev the Hat 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M: Go to Dresden, take a train/bus out to the Saxon Switzerland(you,ll need to translate this in to German to goggle) and enjoy some of the best sandstone climbing in the world. A bit like grit with knots.

Enjoy.

KtH
 JLS 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Kev the Hat:

>"some of the best sandstone climbing in the world"

... but isn't there a local ethic to use knotted bits of string for pro! (or be it with perhaps an insitu pen at the crux).

As for Frankenjura friends who where there last week suggested that the low grade climbs had minimal bolts or less! Something to bear in mind... from the guide grade VI upwards looked like proper bolts or be it with a single bolt lower-off.
 StefanB 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Kev the Hat:
> (In reply to Matt D M) Go to Dresden,
>

Nowhere near Munich though.
violentViolet 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M:

The Ith near Hanover (which is not exactly near Munich but I wanted to mention it anyway) has some really nice lime stone crags. You'll need mostly trad gear there, but usually there are some abseil/belay bolts at the top of the routes.

Rinna 01 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M:

Hi!

There are some nice climbing areas.
For example
- "Elbsansteingebirge" (the german name for saxon switzerlan, near Dresden)
- "Schwäbische Alb" (between Stuttgart and Bodensee)
- "Frankenjura" (near Nürnberg)

There´re also good boulders in

- The Black Forrest
- "Pfalz" - here you can find some hard problems

Pleas write again when you need more information.
 IPPurewater 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M: www.panico.de has guide books for the areas close to Munich. You will be within easy travelling distance of many ranges in Austria plus the area around Garmish Partenkirchen (sp?). Look at Bob's post in Rocktalk, I think, too.
 IPPurewater 02 Nov 2005
In reply to Matt D M: http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?t=152905&v=1#2166239

Sorry it is in Expedition and Alpine, but here is the URL.
 isihac 02 Nov 2005
In reply to IPPurewater:
> (In reply to Matt D M) www.panico.de has guide books for the areas close to Munich.

True, but these are the most horrible guide books I have ever used. Physical format is crap (too big, not waterproof, too much white space) and the drawings might as well not be there for all the use they are. It hurts to hand over the 14 euro or whatever, but unfortunately there is no alternative.

Sorry, that was a rant wasn't it?

Enjoy your visit

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...