UKC

karabiner size for quickdraw ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
menace 04 Nov 2005
what sizes are your karabiners on your quickdraws ?

ive just recieved some i bought from ebay and there 116mm from tip to bottom and 76mm across at the widest point.

will theese be ok for quickdraws or are they too big ?

cheers.j.
Smythie 04 Nov 2005
In reply to menace: Don't worry bud. Won't let your thread die. Will get mine measured up after the folks go.

Boy Boulderer 04 Nov 2005
In reply to menace: mine are 90mm tip to bottom and 40 across. Don't worry though. Yours will be fine. When I started I was using locking biners for my draw (so ashamed) because I was scared of the rope coming undone. Are you new to climbing?
 Dave Stelmach 05 Nov 2005
In reply to menace: As long as they're UIAA rated and big enough to get the tape and a 11mm rope into they'll be big enough. What worries me is the lack of history, are the gates OK and is there any apparent damage?
menace 05 Nov 2005
In reply to Boy Boulderer: yes kind of new to climbing been doing it at a wall for about a month or 2 now and have done a little bit in devon but i want to spread out into sport.

cheers for the reply.
menace 05 Nov 2005
In reply to Dave Stelmach: no they are new i bought them off of ebay as a set of 5 made by kong.

what do you mean by lack of history ?

cheers.
In reply to menace:

> what do you mean by lack of history ?

If they've been damaged in falls, by corrosion, chemicals, been dropped to the bottom of the crag, etc.

Possibly of more concern for 2nd hand climbing items such as harness, slings and ropes, but certainly a concern for metalwork.

If they're new (with tags and supporting safety documentation), then they're likely to be okay. Or stolen...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...