UKC

Montane Dyno Jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
luke_brown 10 Nov 2005
These jackets are on offer here for £55.

http://www.jackson-sports.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5661

Anybody got one of these? Any recomendations?

I'm looking for a decent softshell that I can put on over the top of my base/mid layers when the weather starts to get a bit bit damp or chilly.

This one looks fairly "normal" as well, so could easily use it as an everyday jacket as well?
activentures 10 Nov 2005
In reply to luke_brown:

http://www.outdoormania.co.uk/Product.aspx?ProductID=10

£45 here.

I have one and to be perfectly honest its not a real softshell. It is not as water resistant or windproof as shelled microfleece or powershield and offers little insulation when it gets chilly. I would say it is more water resisatant and windproof than fleece but not as warm.

This is not such a bad thing for me as I run warm and so it does serve a purpose, but should not be considered for the same role as some of the other offerings. Doesn't have a hood either. It does however look "normal", so I wear this as an everyday jacket in spring/autumn.

For something to throw over base/mid layers consider the solo jacket. Will be too warm if you plan to "throw it over" while active, but good for stops. Available for £55 at outdoormania. (The Phleece is the smock version for £45).

If active consider more/thicker mid layer(s) for the cold, and a pertex wind shirt for the damp and wind. Or alternatively an all-in-one in the form of shelled microfleece Marmot Driclime, Montane Duality (Krypton still around in Small for £38) or ME microtherm. (if you run cold you may want to consider pile/pertex - Montane Extreme £68, Buffalo, Mardale etc. - or if you run wealthy look at the powershield garments of which the list is endless and confusing).
luke_brown 10 Nov 2005
In reply to activentures: Many thanks for advice! Sounds like it might not be quite what I'm after then. I'll have a look into some of the other items you mention. Thanks again!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...