UKC

My Compass Died

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 16 Nov 2005
Obviously taken a bit of a blow whilst in the pocket, so needs replacing. Had a Silva Expedition compass which was happy with but before I rush out and buy a new one any other suggestions? What would be nice would something similar, but with a romer for 1:40000 as opposed to the old inch to the mile one, which I am unlikely to use (thinking of the new BMC lakes map).
 Tree 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Duncan_S: Can't go wrong with a Silva- no-one else will re magnetise it for you, if it lasts that long!
Tree
In reply to Duncan_S:

Suuntos are good.

They have a little brass screw on the back so you can adjust the housing to allow for the magnetic variation of the map.

Suunto M-5 has romer scales.
 Craig Geddes 16 Nov 2005
In reply to Duncan_S: Depending on what is up with it Silva may replace it free. Mine was defective and the copper in the housing came loose after a light knock. Course if you have shattered the thing it probably doesn't come under the garuntee!
 Harry Ikin 18 Nov 2005
In reply to Craig Geddes:
You're not the only one. I bought three three Silva 4NL and two of them failed in the way you mention. Took 'em back to Canpcraft, Bolton and Alistair changed 'em for me.
Never found out if they were part of a "bad batch", but the replacements have been grand.
andycl 18 Nov 2005
Hi there,

If the compass is less than 5 years old, send it back to us..........It is worth a go, as if it is defective we will replace it for you;

Silva Service Centre
Silva Ltd
Fleming Road
Kirkton Campus
Livingston
EH54 7BN

If I can help further let me know,

Andy
andycl 18 Nov 2005
Harry,

thet were part of a batch of 24 that were faulty!!

Glad the new ones are OK!!

Andy
 Tree 18 Nov 2005
In reply to andycl: See! Told you they were good! Bet you won't get Suunto on here!
Tree
andycl 18 Nov 2005
In reply to Tree:

lets see!!

over to you suunto!
OP 54ms 18 Nov 2005
In reply to andycl:

Well it has a crack on the underneith of the actual dial, so doubt it was "defective"

Thanks for getting back to me though.
andycl 18 Nov 2005
Yep...........its F**ked................time to buy a new one then.

Andy

Anonymous 18 Nov 2005
In reply to A Nidderdale boulderer.:

Thanks you for kind word

Suunto Oy
Valimotie 7
FIN-01510 Vantaa
Finland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...