UKC

Any rock climbing in Northern Germany?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kcarey 22 Nov 2005
Anyone know if there is any rock climbing in Northern Germany. I am relocating to Holland in January and I would like to know where my nearest outdoor climbing will be.
Cheers
 Petra Ernst 22 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey:
Not a lot of climbing in Northern Germany. There is climbing in Ith near Hanover/Hildesheim and then further south towards Harz
Have a look at this link. http://www.derklemmkeil.de/
Hope this helps
Pum
 Neil R 22 Nov 2005
In reply to Petra Ernst: Am I missing something or is this a link to a wine review.

Neil
 Jason Kirk 22 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey:

I think there is plenty south of Aachen in the Eifel region.
petealdwinckle 22 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey:

Nearest outdoor climbing is very likely to be in Belgium
 nniff 22 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey:

Freyr near Dinant is belgium is probably your best bet.. Popular with the Dutch. Easy classics gleam. Fine crag though.

The stuff near Aachen (I can't remember any names) is peculiar pudding stone stuff. No chalk, because chalk on the pebbles with holds behind them drops the grade by about 2 UK grades.

The Ith is nice - grit meets limestone, with bolts. Small outcrops. The Harz is granite - only done a little there - didn't think much of it
 Petra Ernst 23 Nov 2005
In reply to Neil R:
No, no wine review just down at the moment for service
But here is another link
www.kletternimnorden.de

Pum
 IPPurewater 23 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey: Run a search of "Rock Destinations" for "Pfalz". Choose the all messages option not the last six months and you will get quiet a bit of info.
 John P 27 Nov 2005
In reply to kcarey:
the area covered by the book linked by styman is well documented at http://www.stonevibes.de (incidentally, I saw it for sale in a large outdoor shop in Hathersage in the summer). Berdorf (Luxembourg) is to the west of the area covered by this book, but is now essentially banned to foreigners - in theory you can apply for a permit for 4 week-ends per year, but at least 15 days in advance.

John

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...