UKC

Raichle 60 degree

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 gareth r 02 Dec 2005
I am looking for a new pair of boots for general mountaineering, scrambling etc and like the look of the Raichle 60 degree. Anyone have any experience?

I hope to climb up to grade III winter and diff / vdiff mountain routes at least.

I have a pair of Camp Ice Rider heel-clip crampons.

Gareth
Craig Waddell 02 Dec 2005
In reply to gareth r: Hi Gareth, I bought a pair of 60 degree boots for last winter and I'm impressed with them. They are both well made and comfortable, the only criticism I have is that they are quite warm causing my feet to sweat a fair amount which I supose isn't as much a problem during winter use. For the same money I would say they were a better quality boot than the Scarpa Manta but ultimately it's how they fit your feet that counts.
keebab 02 Dec 2005
In reply to Craig Waddell:
I have a pair of manta's well worth the money, they're the older ones which have now been replaced with a slightly tweaked version not sure on the differences but worth looking at.
Nelson25 09 Dec 2005
In reply to gareth r:

The notch at the back for your heel isn't reinforced, it's just rubber, so your heel-clip crampons may not fit very securly.

I'd give them a miss for climbing and stick to walking/scrambling in them. Go for something with a proper sole!
Craig Waddell 19 Dec 2005
In reply to Nelson25: I was on the ice wall in the Ice Factor just last week and had no problems with crampon slipage, I supose it depends on what make of crampon you wear though.
 Adders 21 Dec 2005
In reply to gareth r: i've got some Raichle Degree Lite GTX
which are fine with walking crampons but not technical ones - so i'd recommend them thoughly for walking and scrambling but not climbing.
sorry havent tried the 90 degree's.
very comfy! and raichle does have a up and coming reputation for quality boots at a good price.
steve gandy 21 Dec 2005
In reply to gareth r: Got a pair recently in Ultimate Outdoors in Betws-y-Coed for £110. Very comfortable and the narrow heel fits my foot better than the Manta. I'd be happy climbing diff/v diff in them but that depends to a large extent on confidence out of stickies.

Not planning to wear them with step-in crampons...

Craig Geddes 21 Dec 2005
In reply to gareth r: Excellent boot - not really suited for step in crampons anyway as they aren't fully ridgid boot they are such a neat fit and have EXCELLENT sole units. No membrane though so you need to wax them reguarly - I work conditioner into the material and then go over the top with NikWax Aqueous on the recomendation of a friend which works a treat.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...