UKC

patches for rock shoe soles?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Nige G 04 Dec 2005
anyone know if such a thing exists to cover small area of wear/tiny hole in otherwise OK rock shoes?
is it a DIY job or send-away?
how successful as a DIY job?
thanks
nige
pingate 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Nige G: I sent mine off to Feetfirst with a hole big enough to get my little finger in. Cost abou £30 but they did a great job.
 Wingnut 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Nige G:
Cheshire Shoe Repairs also worth a look.
epik 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Nige G:

I have done a DIY job on my 5.10's in the past with a sheet of vibram (you can buy Stealth aswell in the states) and glued on with superglue. It lasted about a week of climbing before having to reglue it which i did regularly for a while!

DIY works ok if they are just a second pair of shoes for messing about in! Doesnt last very long but ok for easy stuff!

p.s. try not to get superglue all over the sole as contrary to the name its not actually that sticky on grit
Anonymous 05 Dec 2005
In reply to epik:
I used to use cycle inner tube patches with feathered (thinner) edges to patches. It's quick and easy but doesn't last long as the rubber is much softer then rock boots (super sticky on grit?).
Send 'em to Cheshire Shoe Repair.
Thomc123 05 Dec 2005
In reply to nacnud:

How lond did the patch last?
Rosie A 05 Dec 2005
Anyone know if Feetfirst are the same company as the one in Chesterfield? I've lost atiny bit of rubber off the toe onf one of mine... is that really going to cost me £30 to get it fixed?
 henwardian 05 Dec 2005
In reply to Nige G: I can't say I think its worth getting them fixed. If you have a hole in one boot, the other is probably pretty worn too, if you have to repair the other in a while too, that's £60. You can buy new rock boots for less.

I tried (incredibly unsuccessfully) to fix a boot with a hole, my findings using rubber from an old boot were:
a) melting spare rubber doesn't work.
2) bicycle patch glue does not work.
d) new boots smell really nice
MarkM 05 Dec 2005
In reply to henwardian:
You'll get both boots resoled for £25 - 30....
Mark

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...