UKC

Oman reunion club

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rock_waif 10 Dec 2005
Simmo?

So who's joining?

I hear a new guidebook has just been pulished.
simmo 10 Dec 2005
In reply to rock_waif:

hello, yeah i'd definatly go back, if one joins the club does one get a reduced airfare, as the last ones were free
simmo 10 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo: ps yeah soz:+)
OP rock_waif 10 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo:

Soz for what?

How did you get cheap airfares? Jammy man.
simmo 10 Dec 2005
In reply to rock_waif: for non poetic comments on the other thread

i was working out there
 Alan Stark 10 Dec 2005
In reply to rock_waif:
> Simmo?
>
> So who's joining?
>
> I hear a new guidebook has just been pulished.

Just to clarify -- the guide is only available on cd-rom, and it is predominantly for the United Arab Emirates, and those bits of Oman that are more readily accessible from Dubai and Abu Dhabi, without having to go through official border or passport controls.

To reach any of the climbing areas described from Muscat (apart from the areas closest to Al Ain / Buriami) you would first have to leave Omani territory, transit part of the UAE, and then enter Musandam.

Saying that the guide's equivalent to 350 pages of A5, has over 100 full colour maps and photodiagrams, and describes over 600 routes, 50 crags and 10 distinct areas. Routes are of all types - mountaineering, trad, sport, bouldering, and are up to 22 pitches (most are 2 - 3), at grades of up to VI, E6, F7a.

Flights tend to be more plentiful and cheaper to Dubai than to Muscat.

I'm disqualified from the ex Oman club, as I never went in to Omani territory officially, even though I spent most weekends there for 5 years!

petealdwinckle 11 Dec 2005
In reply to Alan Stark:

Dear Alan

I think that you will find that there are a lot more than 600 routes in guide unless you ýhave been chopping routes. ý

Another 2 sports routes were completed this weekend (F7a) and cleaning of more ýlines (trad and sport) has started at the Cleavage. ý

We are itching to get onto Nearside Road crag at the top of Wadi Sharma but the ýbulldozers keep rearranging the bottom of the crag. The appeal of this 40m high crag ýis that it will undoubtedly yield a large number of very steep (overhanging) sports ýroutes with the major difficulties anticipated overcoming the 5 -7m of overhanging ýcornice that caps the full width of the 200m wide main wall.ý

Regards

Pete
In reply to Alan Stark:

Dear Alan

Flights to Abu Dhabi are even cheaper than those to Dubai by some 50 odd pounds.

regards

Pete
 Alan Stark 11 Dec 2005
In reply to petealdwinckle:

Sorry Pete -- The new routes in the Cleavage will have to wait to the New Routes Supplement -- maybe this time next year.

I've just been burning and labelling the first batch of the finished CD's -- I'll be bundling them later today, and handing them over to Tim this week. He'll be bringing them out when he arrives early Jan. Saves getting them snarled up in the Xmas mail.

600+ routes is a guess. -- I've not got round to counting them, though I dont think there's 700 proper routes yet unless you include the boulder problems.

I look forward to getting the beta on the 800th!
simmo 11 Dec 2005
> (In reply to Alan Stark)
>
> Dear Alan
>
> Flights to Abu Dhabi are even cheaper than those to Dubai by some 50 odd pounds.
>
> regards
>
> Pete

hello Pete, hope alls well, usual seasons greetings and all.... I may well come back over next winter, would jan/feb be the coolest months?
In reply to simmo:

Hi Simmo

Yes, Jan and Feb are probably best months. This year weather has been pretty perfect from late Oct. Temperatures are now in mid 20s during the day and falling to just below 20 at night - almost frosty. So anytime from late October through to mid April is recommended. Shop around for flights and you may pick up a 5* hotel deal with flight that is cheaper than flight only.

regards

Pete
 Alan Stark 11 Dec 2005
In reply to petealdwinckle: (and Simmo)

Grrrrrr, perfick weather, perfick camping, perfick crack

There's some perfickly lucky b'stards about, and its perfickly annoying.

Dont know if I mentioned it earlier, but the guide's ready.

All proceeds will go to the Starkie Returns to Wonderwall Travel Fund!

Regards

Alan

PS Pete -- I'm away on business until Wed PM, so wont be answering any mails for a couple of days.
 francoisecall 11 Dec 2005

Is any of the posters here the one who borrowed my maps and guidebooks on Oman and never returned them?
petealdwinckle 12 Dec 2005
In reply to francoisecall:

Dear Francoisecall

No idea; it was not me

regards

Pete
 tobyfk 12 Dec 2005
In reply to rock_waif:

> I hear a new guidebook has just been pulished.

Though I notice this thread has been hijacked by Team UAE, did you actually mean 'Oman'? I heard that some German/ Austrian/ euro type character did have a guide in preparation for the Hajar mountains. Then there's Geoff Hornby's excellent photocopied scribble of which I am a proud owner ...

bryn DMS 12 Dec 2005
In reply to simmo:

I can't recall you really working ol' boy!

Bryn
simmo 12 Dec 2005
In reply to bryn DMS:

hello bryn, me neither:+)

it seemed more like a rave on mars

hows it goin??
petealdwinckle 12 Dec 2005
In reply to tobyfk:

Hi Toby

You have not got time for this - get back to some investing.

regards

Pete

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...