UKC

Repairing Gore tex XCR

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Mowglee 09 Jan 2006
Anybody got any tips for repairing goretex xcr? I have a couple of small (~5mm) holes in my trousers from crampons. I'd rather not pay too much for a proffesional job, but i'd like a proper repair rather than a bit of gaffa tape! I have a small patch of the the material which came with the trousers, which I guess is for home reapirs, but not sure what type of glue to use.

Thanks in advance

Gareth
 lewis 09 Jan 2006
In reply to gareth uglow: It tells you how to use them here;
http://www.gore-tex.co.uk/published/gfe_navnode/gb.care.rep.html
You use an iron essentally.

The website doesn't seem to work with Firefox.
 Craig Geddes 09 Jan 2006
In reply to gareth uglow: Other option is chandlars repair tape which comes in most colours and is essentially self adhisive rip stop nylon. Not used it myself but is becoming increasingly popular on here and in the mags. Can be got from boat/yaught shops.
 54ms 09 Jan 2006
In reply to gareth uglow:

Don't knock the tape, I put some holes in mine last winter and a year later the repair is still going strong, using duck tape.
 CarolineMc 09 Jan 2006
In reply to gareth uglow: You can patch small holes with Seam Grip - the seam sealant stuff you use on tents. Alternatively, you can buy self adhesive (permanent) Gore-Tex patches from reputable outdoor stores! If you want to know where you can get them, drop me an email.

C-:
 CurlyStevo 09 Jan 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:
I use seam grip. Bare in mind though it isn't perminant comes away after a couple of years sometimes
In reply to gareth uglow:

One for the FAQ, I think...

The method I've used successfully for holes of this size for a number of waterproof fabrics (GTX3, TPC, etc) is to use iron-on seam seal tape, available for about £1/m from Point North or Pennine Outdoor. This is quite effective at closing tears, and seems to be pretty durable. It's also worked on fairly long, linear tears.

It can be ironed onto the inner scrim face of 3-layer fabrics, but must be ironed onto the outer face of 2-layer Gore-tex, as it won't readily stick to the PFTE Gore-tex membrane.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...