UKC

What's your warmest base layer/fleece combo?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mark burley 10 Jan 2006
I'm skiing in a few weeks and as usual combining a base layer, HH prowool and polartec100 fleece under a shell jacket. Its just that my new jacket feels colder somehow (ME Changabang).
Am I missing something that is super warm but needs to be low bulk.
Nao 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:
I have all manner of fleeces, polartec, soft shell and stuff... but I once ended up wearing a selection of Tesco £4 fleeces when I went boarding! They were really cheap, not bulky and kept me warm!

This year I will mostly be wearing thermal/fleece/soft shell/optional waterproof combo. Can you add in a windproof or another fleece, or is there some magic combo I don't know about?
 SFM 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:

perhaps the Changagagagagabang is thinner and hence feels colder?

I normally wear a merino base, capilene expedition fleece thing and an oldish TNF montain jacket and very rarely cold in Europe. But I also wear salopettes so makes a huge difference to my general warmth.
Have you tried wearing a neck gaiter/snoodle type thing?
 Norrie Muir 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:
Its just that my new jacket feels colder somehow (ME Changabang).
> Am I missing something that is super warm but needs to be low bulk.

Dear mark

Are you going to ski in the rain or the cold?

Norrie
 wiwwim 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: icebreaker and rab vapour rise
 Lbos 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: Your base layer and any Polartec thermal pro fleece with a windproof (soft) shell over the top.

I have a patagonia R2 and its snug, warm, breathable and v light.
 Outdoor Eddie 10 Jan 2006
In reply to Lbos:

Lowe Alpine Heavyweight base layer and patagonia R2 fleece - snug as a bug!
 Dave Stelmach 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: Don't bother, Go Buffalo!
OP mark burley 10 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: Norrie
I hope it's going to be nice and cold, however I will use the jacket for it's windproofing. The fleeces etc are to protect against the rest. It's the alps not Scotland so hopefully rain won't be a problem.
In reply to SFM: I am going to nick my wife's buff thingummy. Does that sound rude? Thanks for the tip. My old jacket was tnf, maybe they are warmer.
 Wilbur 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:
> (In reply to Norrie Muir) Norrie
> I hope it's going to be nice and cold, however I will use the jacket for it's windproofing. The fleeces etc are to protect against the rest. It's the alps not Scotland so hopefully rain won't be a problem.

in that case don't wear a shell at all! baselayer (merino), mid layer (rab VR) and a soft shell (MH tempest SL etc).
In reply to Lbos:Thanks for the advice on r2. Thought they were out of my price range but might have found a deal.
 Lbos 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: You can pick them up cheap. I've had 2 and didn't pay more than £40. Look around.
Dee 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:

I have been snowboarding and mountaineering for ages and have tried pretty much every combo there is I think!!!
The HH Lifa range are always a good choice for base layer but if you haven't yet tried Howies merino base layers then I can honestly say you don't know what you're missing! I'm a huge fan of Howies but their base layers are without a doubt the best I have ever used and when it's cold they keep you brilliantly warm, they don't smell even with constant use and they wash up brilliantly. They are a little more expensive than some due to the quality but it's definitely money well spent and you really do get what you pay for.
Some of the best fleeces I have are from 66 North but you have to order these over the net as they're an icelandic company.
I also have an ME shell but I keep this purely for mountaineering, when on the slopes I always wear a fleece lined boarding jacket as I find this works far better in terms of warmth and performance.

Enjoy your trip!
In reply to mark burley:

My solution is North Cape RhovylTherm base layer with Montane Krypton or similar shelled micropile on top, and a Montane Solo synthetic duvet in a small hydration backpack for stops. In colder weather, I use a Powerstretch pullover as a base layer. LA Mountain Cap keeps head warm, and Krypton hood comes up over if it's windy.

I haven't worn a waterproof jacket when skiing for a few years now, and haven't regretted the change.
In reply to captain paranoia:

However, my warmest base layer/fleece combo would be NC RT with Sprayway Zone 2 on top; a very thick Thermal Pro fluffy fleece (pretty much a copy of Patagonia's R2 jkt, except thicker). I would melt in this, though...
In reply to captain paranoia: I must be a luddite, I am a bit wary of buying a costly softshell then finding out at the top of a lift that I'm bloody frozen.
 Lbos 10 Jan 2006
 Dave Stelmach 10 Jan 2006
In reply to Norrie Muir: If he's in Scotland; both
 Gav M 10 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley:

fleece is a thing of the past, get a primaloft filled jacket instead
In reply to mark burley:

> I am a bit wary of buying a costly softshell then finding out at the top of a lift that I'm bloody frozen

Well, my Krypton cost £40, the RhovylTherms cost £15, Montane Solo cost £40, the Patagonia R2 cost £27 and the Sprayway Zone 2 cost £18. All discounted, of course...

The Powerstretch top is one I picked up in a little factory outlet I found at a coach stop in France, made by SNC. This was a princely £40.
OP mark burley 11 Jan 2006
In reply to captain paranoia: You've certainly got an eye for a bargain. Care to give me a few tips?
 Lbos 11 Jan 2006
In reply to the real dr gav:

Really? What role does your primaloft jacket play in your layering system?
 Wilbur 11 Jan 2006
In reply to Lbos:
> (In reply to the real dr gav)
>
> Really? What role does your primaloft jacket play in your layering system?

it can take the place of a fleece and softshell i've found which means you have to carry less layers
In reply to Lbos:

> What role does your primaloft jacket play in your layering system?

For skiing, my Primaloft jacket comes out at stops or long lifts, or if it's below -15C. It's layered on top of the RhovylTherm base and Krypton softshell 'action layer'. Works very nicely for me.
 earlsdonwhu 11 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: Climbing worry about performance but for skiing worry about image/ fashion/ pulling power etc.......... there's always a bar nearby if it gets mega cold and gnarly!

Consider colour combinations and accessories more.
 Dave Stelmach 11 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: www.tchibo.co.uk
OP mark burley 11 Jan 2006
In reply to earlsdonhammer: Don't touch a drop till after the last lift. Like to think we make up for it after that though. I'm down to 1 ski holiday a year so got to make the most of it.
 Gav M 12 Jan 2006
In reply to Lbos:

> Really? What role does your primaloft jacket play in your layering system?

thermals - primaloft - for walkin

add softshell for climb

Lbos 12 Jan 2006
In reply to the real dr gav: Not as belay jacket but as a replacement for a fleece?

Not being funny, but why is it better?
In reply to Lbos:

> Not being funny, but why is it better?

Usually stated reasons are lighter, more compact, warmer, windproof, showerproof.

I still find fleece useful.
gfam64 13 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: Im probably just tight, but it works for me: long sleeved army surplus thermal shirt, Norgie shirt, windstopper fleece, shell outer. warm as toast and then some.
gfam64 13 Jan 2006
In reply to gfam64: And when youve stopped: pull out your down coat for snug as a bugness.
In reply to Lbos:

It is much lighter and noticeably warmer than fleece. I've got a Jack Foreskin hollowfill type smock which is as warm as/ warmer than Polartec 300 fleece jaiket and it's much lighter and less bulky to carry. It can pack down into its breast pocket. The only thing was I had to sew in a crotch strap as they are slippy and can ride up your back compared to fleece. Mine was £50 from Cotswolds.

Davie
Anonymous 13 Jan 2006
In reply to mark burley: Get a Buffalo - you don't need layers.

Nim

gfam64 13 Jan 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
> (In reply to mark burley) Get a Buffalo - you don't need layers.
>I've heard great comments bout buffalo and montane shirts, but what do you do when you get too warm?

Anonymous 13 Jan 2006
In reply to gfam64: If you get too warm, just unzip the neck. If you are far too warm, unzip the sides. As you don't wear anything under the Buffalo (ie base layers), you'll soon cool down.

I've been out in blizzards and freezing temperatures in my Buffalo and have never been cold or too warm - I find it's the easiest system to regulate temperature.

Nim

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...