UKC

TNF Tadpole

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Leeroy 15 Jan 2006
Anyone got one/used one? I am looking around for a new tent and the tadpole seems to fit my requirements, just want to know anyone's experiences before i part with my 160 notes!
 2pints 15 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy:

It pitches outer first, so not ideal for britain and the inner tent is mesh so not brilliant.

VauDe Hogan and Taurus Ultralites are better for £160 notes.
Leeroy 15 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy:

Used a Vaude in the summer don't like it coz the pole comes int the porch and kept banging my head/back on it getting in and out....

that was one of the reasons i was lookin at tadpole as the porch is high!
 beermonkey 15 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy:

The fly sheets on all north face tents bar the yellow extreme one's are crap. The hydrostatic head (how waterproof), is about 2.5m whilst on most other tents e.g. terra nova, mtn hardwear, etc.. it is about 6-7m. I'd recommend a lightwave T1 or G1 both excellent value and well made.
 Liam M 16 Jan 2006
In reply to beermonkey: Not sure how much effect the lower quoted hydrostatic head bit has - I've used mine in some quite heavy rain and suffered none of it coming through. It may prove more significant in winter conditions (snow etc), but the tent isn't really designed to cope with that.

And the mesh inner works well, as it reduces the condensation on the inside making it more comfortable (and lighter). Ok so it may lose heat more rapidly but that just means you need a slightly warmer sleeping bag.

And the porch is quite sizeable - at least enough to comfortably cook in it whilst closed up.

For its role as a 3 season tent it is fairly well designed. I'd make no pretence about it being a winter tent, but if that's not what you're after its a fairly good option.

Swirly 16 Jan 2006
In reply to 2pints:
> (In reply to Leeroy)
>
> It pitches outer first,

Er no it doesn't.

In reply to the OP: I bought one last year to take to the Dolomites and two of us lived in it for 3 weeks although it was a little cramped. However, I had major problems with condensation and even leakage in a heavy storm. I took it back to the shop (V12) who sent it off for testing, about a month later I got a replacement fly which seems to be fine so now I'm happy with it. I'd have no problems recommending it if it wasn't for the quality control problems which I experienced as it is you might be better looking at a differebt manufacturer.
gfam64 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy: I could be wrong, but isnt the tadpole similar to the terra nova voyager? there are a few of these on the auction website (NOT MINE moderators. These could be another alternative. gfam64
jon.holman 16 Jan 2006
Friend of mine has one and i think it has been on every trip for the last 2 years.

Have stayed in it in Stanage, Swanage, Ailefroide (French Alps Valley base) and even on a glacier.

Although, you must get the ground sheet to place underneath it so it can last a bit longer, doesn't get wet etc.

A superb tent
 Ands 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy:

Small for two. Perfect for one with gear.

Ands
In reply to Leeroy:

I had the one up in size, the Bullfrog (same style just a bit bigger). The Bullfrog is too small to use as a valley tent for 2 (so I sold mine).
The Tadpole is probably an ok tent to trek about with as it is small and light.
If you're planning on using it say for a 2 week holiday to Chamonix I would advise against it. Hope this helps.

Davie
Leeroy 16 Jan 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:
I am Looking mainly to use if for some backpacking, in Snowdonia, The Lakes etc. I want it to sleep in whilst i am doin my Bela training and i also want it for the odd weekend away with the missus

any other ideas of what would be a suitable alternative before i part with my hard cash tommorrow?
In reply to Leeroy:

Sounds like you are needing two different tents. It's very hard to meet the needs of super lightweight and the need for space together. I doubt very much if your missus would enjoy a rainy weekend in a Tadpole. You could hardly sit up at all in my Bullfrog and it's more like a 2 man than the Tadpole. I'm not great on what's currently available. We wanted a reasonably strong valley tent and got a Vango Storm 300 for £140 which has reasonable space.

Davie
Leeroy 16 Jan 2006
usually we do only go away for the evening (she's one for star gazing) thats as much as i get her to spend in the outdoors, except for the occaisional walk!

i do need it to be lightweight tho and need a fair bit of room!
 Oli 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy: Some of the hilleberg tents have good porch space (the GT versions) and are pretty light for their size. They may be a bit expensive however.
Leeroy 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Oli:
Yeah unfortunately i am not absoultely minted...

they are indeed good tents but 170 is about the most i can afford!
In reply to Leeroy:

My days of lugging tents are over. I use a bivvy bag if I'm dossing out in the hills. It keeps me dry even if it rains.
A good size tent is invaluable in bad weather for valley use though.

Davie
OP Anonymous 16 Jan 2006
In reply to Leeroy: I'm really happy with mine, good lightweight tent for on your own or will fit two with gear when backpacking as long as you don't mind being a bit cosy. As has been said above, not really a valley tent for living in for weeks at a time and not an extreme 4-season tent either but you probably won't get one for the money or weight of the tadpole.
 Ands 16 Jan 2006

> Sounds like you are needing two different tents.

I dunno. Ireckon he could get away with just the one tent for what his requirements are. The Tadpole would be fine for hiking about as I have done that with it. It is also ok for two if you're close friends or lovers (or both if that is possible). He might be better off getting a different brand of tent but one about the size of the Tadpole would probably be fine.

Ands

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...