UKC

the phud

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 flyboy86 12 Feb 2006
how can most mat makers get away with £120 price tags when the phud is only £70?!?!? ive got a phud and its great! It doesnt seem inferior at all!
 Ri 12 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: other manufacturers like profits, MUAHAHA
OP flyboy86 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri: gotta be true but why do peeps buy them at almost twice the price!
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: for they are idiots, MUAHAHA
OP flyboy86 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri: yup!! is alpkit new to b/mats or jst not well known though?
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: both, MUAHAHA
OP flyboy86 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri: well i recon from now on anyone wanting a new mat should get one of these !!
www.alpkit.com
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: shameless advertising MUAHAHA

they are great mats though.
OP flyboy86 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri: totaly! saved my arse from a v.nasty landing this afternoon!
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: good for you
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: no one cares too
OP flyboy86 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Ri: well i did!
 Ri 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: ok, one person cares
Carnage 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: Because other pricier pads (such as the Dropzone etc) are of proven quality whereas Phud's are not.

pottsworth 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86:
they were only £60 until just before christmas, unfortunatly went up due to price of materials or something
g6mbv 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86:

Because boulderers are stupid enough to pay £120 pounds for a piece of foam and a bit of cordura etc. Don't believe the hype, its nothing fancy.
epik 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86:
> how can most mat makers get away with £120 price tags when the phud is only £70?!?!?

Because Alpkit sell direct to you and therefor cut out the retailers margin! simple!

Hotbad Peteel 13 Feb 2006
In reply to epik:

the price has gone up though and theres not really any info about the quality of the foam. Red chilli mats are about 80 quid in alot of places (I know there marked as 100), the foam dies pretty quickly and there smaller. I'd like to know if the foam in the phud is durable but as they've not been out a long time I doubt many people know.
p
epik 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:
> I'd like to know if the foam in the phud is durable but as they've not been out a long time I doubt many people know.
> p

Ive had a metolius mat for about 5 years and a phud for about 6 months but as the metolius fits in the boot and the phud doesnt the phud only gets used for highballing when i take both so cant say on its long term durability but the foam seems of good quality!
Alpnick 13 Feb 2006
In reply to Hotbad Peteel:

BD say this about the dropzone foam
Determining which foams absorb the highest impact forces, which foams rebound the quickest after impact and which foams offer the best weight vs. durability ratio is crucial when choosing crashpad foam. Every crashpad manufacturer claims to use high quality foam but foams are not equal—different foams with the same cell count do not absorb force the same. Through in-house testing of impact force absorption using a load cell interfaced with a Data Acquisition System, Franklin R&D has been able to record impact forces during varied, fixed-height drop tests on different foam samples, thicknesses and layering combinations. Using the data from these tests, we have blended custom-engineered foam (open- and closed-cell) using unique layering combination for optimal performance throughout our crashpad line. Our lightweight and durable combinations of foams and layers will keep you from bottoming out because, fall after fall, they do their job of dispersing impacts and rebounding quickly.

We say
Top 25mm PE40 Cross-Linked Closed Cell Foam. 25kg/m3 (approx)
Middle 75mm RX21 HLB (High Load Bearing) Open Cell Foam. 21kg/m3 (approx)

Im not sure which says most about the quality of foam used.

What information would you like?

Cheers

Nick

Andy Farnell 13 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: I've got a phud and it's the dogs dangly bits...

Andy F
Toby M 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Alpnick: Nick, I take it the Phud has a higher impact absorption than the Woomf? I'm assuming it would be the better choice for 'highball'-type falls? Have you done any test-falls yourselves to compare?

Cheers,

Toby
 willhunt 16 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: Just ordered one of the experimental phuds. Only £50 because its a kind of prototype and its cordura. Buy now, only 30 of them going at a reduced price!
Alpnick 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Toby M:

Well the Phud is a bigger Mat which is always good for Highballs, but the Woomf is a firmer mat than the Phud so will have a little less chance of bottoming out, of course this means it will be harder to land on.

http://www.alpkit.com/images/support/downloads/bouldermats.pdf

Hope that helps, personally i'm more of a Phud person high or low ball but then ive got estate.

MC 16 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: it is pretty obvious why the phudd is cheap: no middle man, and pretty basics when you compare it to something like the drop zone. The drop zone is a lot better made, but do you need a fancy handle and buckels etc, I would prefer the cash!
 Oli 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Alpnick: What you should be recommending is a whoomf and a Phud...

I have a Phud and it is great, It is big and has protected my ankles from some fairly decent sized falls. The only two possible downsides are the lack of rucksack straps (But I can live with that) and possibly some of the corners getting small holes from abuse. However, I would rather have 2 Phuds than one Dropzone or similar.

I would recommend it to anyone, ideally with a big car!(the phud sits on the back seats of my car as it is too small...)

Leeroy 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Oli:
new phuds have a rucsac strap! its the dogs bollocks i took a big fall onto mine on the roaches the other day! love it! will be back for another if i ever need one!
Marts 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Leeroy: you may well need another as they have made them with cheap materials. On the good side they do sell the covers separate so you will beable to replace it once its had its day.
 willhunt 16 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: well the ard woomf is cordura outer but still only £50. Cant wait to try it out tomorrow
Leeroy 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Marts:
ah well its pretty good to be honest! better than forking out 130 notes defo!!!
Alpnick 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Marts:

We would be intrested to know why you think they have been made with cheap materials.

Cheers

Nick
Leeroy 16 Feb 2006
In reply to Alpnick:
I reckon the material is comparable to a meticulous(Spelling) one a mate has, the only difference is the hinge, where the phud might not be as good!
Toby M 17 Feb 2006
In reply to Leeroy:
> (In reply to Oli)
> took a big fall onto mine on the roaches the other day! love it!
What sort of heights have you fallen from, onto it?

Toby M 18 Feb 2006
In reply to Alpnick:
>
> Well the Phud is a bigger Mat which is always good for Highballs, but the Woomf is a firmer mat than the Phud so will have a little less chance of bottoming out, of course this means it will be harder to land on.

Doesn't the fact that the Woomf covers a smaller area than the Phud, make it harder to land on?

willhunt 18 Feb 2006
In reply to flyboy86: I took my new ard woomf out to the local crag today and easily put some decent sized falls on it. Roughly 18 feet or thereabouts. I guess if you can manage to look round at the landing site before you bail then its not too hard.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...