UKC

Footwear for Mount Kinabalu? + How cold?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Oliver Wright 22 Feb 2006
Flying out to Borneo next week for a couple of weeks diving and jungle trekking. While I'm there going to do Kinabalu. Will I be ok with trail running shoes, or will I need to take something more substantial? How cold is it on the summit day, I was looking at just a Rab Vapour Rise top and a mid weight base layer, will that be enough? I'm having difficulty finding any reliable info...

I could do with not having to drag my Scarpa Chamonix GTX boots and down jacket if there is no need, and I don't think I'll be needing them in the jungle!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers Oliver
 Caralynh 22 Feb 2006
In reply to Oliver Wright:
I wore boots, but I'd been doing other stuff there that needed boots anyway. Some people were in trainers, others in sandals, approach shoes, all sorts.
Definitely take a warm jacket for the summit or a fleece at the very least. Layers are the most important thing - you need to cope with temperatures of +35C to freezing, and expect sudden downpours from time to time. And don't forget gloves - I did and had to buy some from the hut.
Chris Tan ver XLIX.01 22 Feb 2006

Most people just rush off to the summit and miss one of the most spectacular sights of Kinabalu, dawn chorus. If you have time, spend an extra day/night at the Labang Rata rest house. This will give you time to:

1. Explore the summit plateau, solo a few peaks, etc.

2. On the second night, descend down to Layang-Layang hut which is just above the canopy. Try and get there before dawn. You'll be treated to a sunrise over the canopy and lot and lots of birds!

BTW ok this with your guide first.
OP Oliver Wright 22 Feb 2006
Cheers for your help!

Oliver
Dave dangerous 26 Feb 2006
In reply to Oliver Wright: hello toss pot hope u have agood time . thought you'd given up on this web sight fed up of getting stupid replies from people wit no idea. so this is for you. isnt it kinabooloo?
little Rob 26 Feb 2006

Yeah its cold and yeah boots, better safe than sorry. Locals do it almost bare foot. But, remember you ain't a local. As you'll already know Mt K is the biggest in the area, and you wake up and move for the summit at daft o'clock in the morning. Need we say any more
 Jim Lancs 28 Feb 2006
My friend worked there for a year or so and climbed it dozens of times. Wore trainers on every occaision without problems
BigChris 28 Feb 2006

Apparently there are granite slabs towards the top and so something remotely sticky might be nice.

Take warm clothing! If you're being guided they take 2 days, and the last leg up to the summit is usually done before daybreak so it will be chilly!

Incidentally, i'm doing this too in July to raise some money for charity. Let me know how it goes?
 TonyG 28 Feb 2006
In reply to Oliver Wright: I wore trainers in January 2005. I was glad not to be wearing boots (very hot even at that time of year). We arrived on top an hour before sunrise though, which was a seriously cold hour huddled behind a rock waiting. Take warm clothes for that.
It's a hands in pockets walk, but a really nice thing to do with fantastic views. Hope you have weather as good as we had

Tony
In reply to Oliver Wright: when my dad did it. i think he wore bendy brasher boots, a thin fleece and a pertex top. you defo don't need a down jacket or full on boots. a a spare fleece/micro puff pullover might be a nice luxury tho.
 Offwidth 28 Feb 2006

Trainers are fine. Most go up for the summit before dawn when it is coldest: it was just below freezing when I did it. If it rains it will be bloody freezing without a good fleece a light thermal and at least a good pertex to keep the wind from cutting through you. Loads of people get away with less but like with a lot of amateur mountaineers they needlessly risk hyperthermia with just a twisted ankle. Down is useless as everything gets damp in the jungle.
 Denni 01 Mar 2006
Hey mate, was based in Brunei, did it a couple of times. Used Scarpa Mescalitos. You need a decent torch, I used a Nuptse at night, had a hat and gloves. Hope this helps! You'll have a good time
 Bob 01 Mar 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:

Current record for the race - "Last October(1997), a crowd of 400 cheered the winner, Ian Holmes of Britain, who made it to the peak and back in 2 hours, 47 minutes and 37 seconds"

Probably wore trainers....

boB

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...