UKC

How to repair a waterproof jacket?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 'Hilda' 07 Mar 2006
My new ME Nanga Parbat jacket has taken a bit of a battering this season and the front is 'scuffed up' at bit with one or two minor holes - any suggestions for repairing them?
Hazard 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': you can buy some iron on gortex stuff and stick it over the holes.
Allister Clark 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': parcel tape (not gaffa) on the back, squirt some seam seal on the hole, then some parcel tape on the other side, leave to dry and pull off the tape, instant non offencive patch

Al
 2pints 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':
My dad used a patch from a puncture repair kit once, worked!
 Frank4short 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': If you can't duck it f*ck it.
OP 'Hilda' 07 Mar 2006
In reply to Allister Clark:
> (In reply to 'Hilda') parcel tape (not gaffa) on the back, squirt some seam seal on the hole, then some parcel tape on the other side, leave to dry and pull off the tape, instant non offencive patch
>
> Al

Where can I buy seam seal from?

Craig Geddes 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': Most gear shops do it or you can order it from Needlesports (in the accesories section). The other way to apply it is to tape the front and squeeze from the back and just leave to dry like that rather than applying another layer of tape - either method works I just prefer the latter. If you get the stuff on your hands then meths will get it off again.
 Ridge 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

Also try using iron-on seam seal tape. I repaired my waterproof trousers with it about 3 years ago and it's still stuck solid. Less messy than seam grip too.
 A9 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

Dont waste yr money with goretex patches, spinnaker tape etc etc what you need is

a big roll of ductape.

Use scissors if you want a professional finish.
Allister Clark 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': get it in any good camping/gear shop, its for tents but workes wonders with the parcel tape meathod

Al
 craig l 07 Mar 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': I have used a company in Cumbria called maintain. They will repair gortex and other garments. They are not as cheap as duct tape but we are talking about a jacket they my be a couple of hundred quid to replace.

http://www.maintainuk.co.uk/

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...