UKC

Montane eVENT soft shell..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wilbur 27 Apr 2006
Anyone own one, or tried it out?

Impressions if so?
ceri 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur: i thought event was NOT softshell, by definition , as it has a membrane?
ceri 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur: i know, i looked it up, but i still think it's an oxymoron.
OP Wilbur 27 Apr 2006
In reply to ceri:

maybe - untaped seams though...
OP Wilbur 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur:

Powershield is the way forward IMO
 beardy mike 27 Apr 2006
In reply to ceri: Is Gore Windstopper an oxymoron as well then? Better tell Mountain Equipment...
OP Wilbur 27 Apr 2006
In reply to mike kann:
> (In reply to ceri) Is Gore Windstopper an oxymoron as well then? Better tell Mountain Equipment...

i think it might be too.

Basically it would seem that the montane eVENT softshell and the gore winstopper softshell jobs are basically waterproof coats that have softer outer shells and untaped seams. they probably still sweat a fair bit (although eVENT is better than goretex anyway)

beardy mike 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur: Kind of depends on what you class as a softshell...
OP Wilbur 27 Apr 2006
In reply to mike kann:

My Gamma SV is what i class as a proper softshell. Breathes really well and yet is really weatherproof. I can climb in it without getting a sweat - which is a first compared to things like my MH tempest or even a rab vr to be honest..
In reply to Wilbur:

Jon Doran at OM seemed fairly impressed by the breathability, even when mountain biking:

http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/news/article.asp?SP=&v=2&UAN=3617
 passerby 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur:
It's just an EVENT branded material. Not their waterproof membrane. They really should have caleld it something different. Bit confusing...
 Squirrel Bill 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Wilbur: like gore-tex softshell
In reply to passerby:

I think it does use their ePTFE membrane.

http://www.montane.co.uk/productdetails.php?productid=73&rid=8
In reply to captain paranoia:

Note in particular the fabric spec:

Fabric
# Main body – eVENT® Soft-Shell 3 layer with Field Sensor®
# Reinforcement – eVENT® Soft-Shell Lightweight Abrasion with Field Sensor®
# E.B.P. – Freeflow® Soft-Shell Air with Field Sensor®

3-layer certainly suggests a membrane.
OP Wilbur 28 Apr 2006

cheers captain.. think i'll stick with the gamma anyhows as it's the nuts - was just curious..
In reply to Wilbur:

The Montane eVENT Soft Shell is a different beast to the Gamma SV. The latter has quite a bit of insulation, but the former only has a sort of fluffy scrim to the eVENT membrane; you can see the membrane through this. So it's more like a membraned version of Schoeller Dynamic, or Extreme, or somewhere between the two, i.e. not much insulation. It fit very nicely when I tried it on at the Outdoors Show. As usual, my complaint to Julie Greengrass (their designer) was that there was no hood; particularly odd when you're using a membraned fabric. This resulted in a long discussion about the relative merits of hoods...
OP Wilbur 28 Apr 2006

hmmm - sounds like it could be perfect for mountain biking actually (in light of the lack of hood..)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...