UKC

what sea kayak?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
I'm a cash strapped beginner. Not interested in the 'best' or the latest model, just want something durable, stable and affordable. Any suggestions? What about second hand from an outdoor centre or similar? I'm genuinely clueless...
 Philip 27 Apr 2006
Can't remember the manufacturer but they do a model called Titannic. It's great for beginners, bomb proof, unsinkable. Maybe google will find more details.
pwhiteside 27 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:I have used an Ocean Frenzy several times and love it. Costs about £250 and handles well and isn't too heavy. Buy a back rest though otherwise you will be in a world of pain after 10 minutes.
In reply to dan bailey: you can pick up cheap ones on e bay. we got one for about £200
 Malcolm 27 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:
If your wanting durable as opposed to light - get a plastic instead of GRP.

Stable - obviously the wider the better -
P+H Capellas are quite good for a beginners boat.
A lot of outdoor centres use them - try the Sports Scotland centre on Cumbrae They used to sell there old ones?
I think Glenmore had some too the last time i was there.

Whatever you do, dont listen to anyone who says a boat is "fast and stable" - you can get a compromise between the 2, but the thing that makes a boat stable ie its width, also makes it slow, and visversa obviously - a fast boat will be tippy.
So give some thought to whether you want to progress and do more ambitious things with it before you buy a boring old tub of a boat.
 pat m 27 Apr 2006
In reply to Malcolm:
> (In reply to dan bailey)
> >
> Whatever you do, dont listen to anyone who says a boat is "fast and stable" - you can get a compromise between the 2, but the thing that makes a boat stable ie its width, also makes it slow, and visversa obviously - a fast boat will be tippy.
>
Sorry but you are wrong, firstly stability is a subjective view, but it is not just a function of width - hull shape (section) makes a major contribution to how a boat feels, you also need to consider initial stability and secondary stability in varying sea states.

To the opening poster, at work we have one royalex pyranha orca left. A good beginners / intermediate boat - yours at £425. Based in the North East if you want to try before you buy.

Jonno 27 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

Take care. Don't buy the first apparent bargain you come across. It could be a fast tippy boat that only experienced paddlers can handle.
Plastic boats are usually cheaper and more robust. The Prijon Yukon and other Prijon boats are incredibly stable and forgiving for beginners.
You don't get bargains on ebay. You'll pay through the nose for a sea kayak on there. Put a 'sea kayak wanted' ad on the paddling forums. I picked up a great little 'Necky Looksha' fitted with a rudder for my son from an outdoor group which had been used once after posting an ad.
For a total novice try and get a boat with a skeg or rudder. It makes life easier when you're trying to track...go straight.
'Real' Sea Kayakers frown on rudders and prefer skegs but they make life easier for novices.
The real deal expedition SK's tend to be fast fibreglass boats costing up to £3k new, You can pick up cheaper 2nd hand ones.
I'm trying a P&H Sirius that a friend has but I'm told it's quite tippy having a narrow hull.

It's a fantastic activity that seems to draw in a lot of climbers of a certain age....well middle age actually !
Have a look at the Scottish Sea Kayaking site run by Douglas Wilcox. If those photographs and trip details don't make your mouth water then it's not for you.
 TobyA 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Jonno: I would agree with Jonno about fast tippy boats. I've paddled a number of different boats but the ones I've liked the most are Prijon Seayaks. They felt very sea worthy whilst going through some proper swell and on harsh little steep waves blown up on big lake we were on by strong winds (actually quite a lot more tricky to paddle than the bigger waves out at sea). The hatches are great for taking all your camping stuff for a multiday trip. Some other boats have tiny hatches that make getting stuff in and out really tricky. I've used them both with and without rudders and thought in winds the rudder was great whatever the purists say.
 TobyA 28 Apr 2006
In reply to TobyA: I should say - that my opinion is that of a relative beginner. I've probably spent around two weeks over the last few years doing some two and three day trips.
 SteveD 28 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey: I wouldn't worry too much about the material its made from. The trend these days is to go for plastic but it is still heavy and slow. My Nordkapp is Glass and Diolen (?) and is over 20 years old. has been used extensively around the channel Islands, Scotland and Norway (no beaches there) with only cosmetic damage done. A bit of maintenance every 5 years or so is all that is required.

As far as balance is concerned its a bit like riding a bike, a Trike is more stable initially but try taking a corner fast. Similarly a flat stable boat is fine but try landing in 3' of dumping surf, if the lower rail catches you're in!

Any boat made by P&H will be stable because Derek Hutchinson the designer is short and round!

This link http://www.seapaddler.co.uk/photoTheBoatShow.htm has loads of photos of different designs

Steve D
In reply to Philip: funny name for an unsinkable kayak!
In reply to dan bailey: Thanks all. Looks like i need to do some more asking around...
 TobyA 28 Apr 2006
In reply to The Great Pretender: Yes - that's why it's called a JOKE, GP.
Hotbad Peteel 28 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

I've got an island kayaks expedition and its very very nice. Alot of the serious paddlers at the skye symposium bought them the year after they came out. They handle well with or without the skeg down and are very nice. There not begineer stable but they stiffen up when your right over so you wont actually capsize and their high volume for taking on expeditions. Shame they cost 1500 quid.
p
In reply to Jonno: 'It's a fantastic activity that seems to draw in a lot of climbers of a certain age....well middle age actually!'

I'm not there yet Jonno, though I climb like I am. But yes, I'm very attracted to the sport and having done a couple of days here or there and just about to move to the seaside I'm keen as mustard. Doing a 5-day course with Glenmore lodge in a couple of weeks, so I'll leave the boat acquisition (sp?) til after that I think...
Jonno 28 Apr 2006
In reply to dan bailey:

Well Dan...better get out there quick before the beautiful Scottish coastline and islands are industrialised with wind power plants !
In reply to Jonno: Stick them all around Glasgow, I say. Personally, I'm quite happy with this new 'biggest in Europe' one by East Kilbride, for instance...

We're getting a mini turbine in our garden, too. It'll generate enough electricity to power one energy efficient lightbulb every other week.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...