UKC

Lowering with a Reverso in autolock from a ground anchor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 54ms 27 Apr 2006
Could these be used for top ropes as a lower cost alternative to gri-gir, with more security then an italian hitch?

I've borrowed one of a mate to have a play and rigged one today on a ground anchor at Burbage. I did a test today, but didn't want my partner to be further from the ground then he was happy jumping to. I got it to lock nicly, but the lowering part was intresting, I pulled the krab with the rope and it seemed quite hard to control, but I did not have much distance to play with.
 beermonkey 28 Apr 2006
In reply to Duncan_S:

I really wouldn't recommend this, as you have noticed by pulling on the jamming krab to release the rope it is very hard to control i.e. either locked up or whizzing through. I'd stick with an italian hitch, or a good method if instructing a bunch of kids is to get one to sit down with their back against the crag and an italian hitch on their harness. The sitting kid pulls the rope down as the climber moves up whilst the rest of the group hold the 'dead' rope coming away from the sitting climber and pull it away from the cliff tug-o-war fashion.
OP 54ms 28 Apr 2006
In reply to beermonkey:

Thanks, have you used that system before, was just looking for a cheap autolock.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...