UKC

Anyone have any problems with Moon Clothing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
I recently bought 2 pairs of Moon Zypher (sp?) pants from Snow and Rock in Bristol. One pair completely ripped apart
when I jumped off a boulder problem at Mile End and a press stud for the back pocket has just fallen off the
other pair. Oh... and a Moon T-shirt I bought shrunk the first time that I washed it and would now fit a midget. Am
I just unlucky or is all Moon stuff shoddy?
 Ben C 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: the original S7 pants were awesome still have a pair but since that first run of high quality the quality has dropped. well for me anyway... ive had two pairs of S7 2nd generation and 2pairs Moon ones and they r Pants ! so yeah ur right and not cheap either
Pete W 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

I have a couple of pairs of his trousers and despite being generally pleased with them I feel getting the sizing correct which is dependant on usage difficult. Better to get larger than with similar designs.

Pete
 Wilbur 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

YES

i've been saying this for ages.

tried on a moon hat 2 years ago in a shop and it ripped completely as i put it on my head. I pointed it out to the shop and they said try another one. Very gingerly i started to pull it on to my head.... you've guessed what happened next i'm sure!

Shockingly made IMO and have never touched it since
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to Wilbur:

I was lucky that I wasn't going commando when the trousers split on me because my bits would have been hanging out all over the place!
 John Mulhern 23 May 2006
recently bought a moon bouldering back and some of the velcro on the shoe / chalk compartment has started to rip off!!! Whats happening with moon products then? is it becasuse their made overseas?(china etc..)
 John Cooke 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

Aye pretty shoddy stuff, looks good but pants in terms of quality. My mate bought a moon hoody the other week and the stitching's already coming apart at on the sleave.
 Denni 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:
Phil. totally agree. Great climber but the clothing is pants! (orry Ben) Bought loads for the missus at the ice factor on sale, six months down the line it's either fallen apart, shrunk or stretched. Nice designs though!
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to John Cooke:

Hey Dude!
Can you say Hi to Ali for me? Haven't seen her in ages, hope she's well! Tell her to get in touch!

Cheers,
Phil
 doz generale 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

i have a pair of moon shorts and i wear them alot for cycling and for climbing so they get lots of use and they are still in good nick. ive had them for over a year. Not got any other moon stuff though. I did have some prana trouseres that my bike shreaded to bits.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to doz generale:

It's a shame, coz like someone else pointed out, the designs are really good, but the quality just isn't there.
 jam 23 May 2006
In reply to John Mulhern:

> is it becasuse their made overseas?(china etc..)

Don't be obtuse. Most high end outdoor gear and clothing is made overseas and it's fine. If there is a problem with Moon clothing, it's going to be because Moon has terrible quality control procedures or because they are trying to cut production costs too far.
 Ian Patterson 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

I bought a pair of cypher pants in the sale from Rock & Run a few months ago and have been well impressed - wouldn't normally buy that sort of stuff but well designed, v. comfortable, good to climb in and no problems at all with quality so far.
 phsharpy 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: the bouldering mats eem to be very well made and last longer than most other makes. Iknow quite a few people who use them with no problems. Also i've got a bit of mon kit and so do a lot of people i know, it all seems to last.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to phsharpy:

Well, my stuff hasn't lasted more than a month! That's my experience and that's why I started this thread!
 Denni 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:
Phil, another bad thing about it is the after sales service. Took the stuf back, Ice factor were great but Moon said sorry, can't help! Really peed the other half off.
 John Mulhern 23 May 2006
maybe the people at moon need to look at this thread and see that there are climbers out there who are not satisfied with many of their products.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006

Yes, lets hope that they do something about their products for next season.
 Denni 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:
Thik they need to mate. Good designs especially the new ones at snow and rock, completely let down with the quality and after sales service. Mentioned already tho, the moon landings are quite good apparently.
 JuliaH 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:
I bought a pair of mens Cypher pants- I think, a few weeks back as I wanted a baggier fit. Within 1 week the poppers on the pocket flaps had ripped out from under the material, mainly as they didn't seem to be sewn in properly and were just sealed into the fabric somehow.
Not happy after forking out £50, but love the trousers generally. I might give them an email to suggest changing they're designs slightly.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to JuliaH:

That's exactly what's happened to my back pocket and the othe 2 pockets are going the same way. Like I said, I really like the design, just very lacking in quality!
 John Cooke 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

Ok Phil, will do.
Wes 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

I personally have never had a problem with any Moon gear at all. Those that know me will tell you that i have a vast array of it as well. I also know alot of people who haven't as well.

No ripped trousers, no probs with my pads (i'm on my second one), tee's haven't shrunk etc. etc.

I've always been pleased and long may it continue.

I would have to say you've been a bit unlucky there, mate.

If you believe any problems to be warranty issues, i would return them to the store that you bought them from and they will aid you in the most appropriate course of action.

The pair that have the problem with the press stud will be exchanged in store for a new pair with a reciept or proof of purchase-if you're in Bristol, come and see me-i'll sort you out.

Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to Wes:

If you look at last seasons range of clothing, there is a massive gap in quality from the stuff that they have produced this season!
Wes 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

I can't agree with you on that.

The line of clothing is certainly not as large as before, it is more focused with less jackets and other peices.

I have found this seasons tee's to retain their shape better than previous seasons.

The issue with the popper, as i have said, can be rectified in store.

Unfortunately, and i will be blunt here, moaning about a problem won't rectify it.

Please come and see me and i'll sort your bust popper pants out for you.
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to Wes:

Actually, moaning about it will do something! It might stop people from wasting their money on crap gear that falls apart within weeks. If people stop buying the gear, then the company will be forced to review the quality of their products.

Why are you defending them? Do you work for Moon equipment?
 Wilbur 23 May 2006
In reply to Wes:

sorry but moon gear seems to be poorly made to me and i wont buy it. just my opinion but one that seems to be shared by a few...
Phil Payne 23 May 2006
In reply to Wes:

P.S. I have all day to sit here moaning about Moon products, keeping this thread active at the top of the list, so that everyone else can see what I think of Moon clothing.

On a more positive note, I have heard good things about Moon pads, but haven't had any personal experience with them.
Marts 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: I had the same question when I bought one pair of pant one month, liked them so much I bought another the next month, when they came they were a different cut, different Cheaper) material and different logo. I thought at first they were copies but was informed that they had Just changed alot of the line.
How they can change a complete style of the same garment I don't know but the second paair are shite, the first are still realy good.
Ben Moon 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

Hi Phil,

A friend put me on to this thread and having read what you and others have written I feel it's important for me to respond.

I am very sorry that you have had a problem with your Cypher pants. These have been our best selling pants for many years and normally we have a very low return rate. However this season there has been a problem and the return rate has been too high. Some of the pocket poppers have been put on too tight which can cause the fabric and/or the poppers too fail. We are just doing another production with different poppers and a heavier weight fabric which will fix the problem.

I am surprised to hear you say your t-shirt has shrunk because we also sell alot of these and I wear and wash these myself continuously and have never had a problem. It does say on the label not to trumble dry becasue this will shrink it but tumble drying will likely shrink most cotton tops. I would also advise against a 60 degree wash.

I am sure if you return your products to your retailer they will be more than happy to refund or replace. If you bought it direct from me then I will also do likewise.

I am also surprised to hear people saying Moon's after service is rubbish. I personally reply to every email I receive whether it be someone complaining about something or asking for advice on climbing or training. I always make the time.

The customer is king which is why we take both quality control and customer care very seriously indeed.

Once again I am sorry for the problem you have had but I hope it wont put you off buying Moon again in the future.

Ben Moon 23 May 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke: another bad thing about it is the after sales service. Took the stuf back, Ice factor were great but Moon said sorry, can't help!

I am sorry but I just don't believe this. I would never have said "sorry can't help". It's just not my style and I think anyone who knows me would say the same. Please tell me what the problem was and I will fix it.
 Denni 23 May 2006
In reply to Ben Moon:
Sorry mate, that was the reply my other half received via the Ice Factor when we sent 3 t-shirts back. I didn't mean to sound deflammatory. Designs are great, my other half just said that the t-shirts stitching fell apart after a couple of washes, shrunk or went mis-shapen, but she did like the colours!
Marts 23 May 2006
In reply to Ben Moon: Did you get a new designer in or something last year. I can't remember the name of the pants but they are the 3/4 length. I liked the first pair so much I got a second (over the net) and they were completely different. Even down to the rubber button being changed for a plastic one. Thinner material, much tighter cut and the logo. Thats fine they would be fine on some people but maybe the name should have been adjusted as well to avoid the mistake I made.
OP Anonymous 23 May 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke: In my experience the after sales has been first rate.
Wes 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:
>
> Why are you defending them? Do you work for Moon equipment?

Because i've never had a problem and no-i work for Snow and Rock who will be happy to help with your bust pants.
Ben Moon 23 May 2006
In reply to Marts: Hi Mart, I think that would be the Slacker pant. We did make a few changes for the following season (last year) and I am sorry if you didn't like them as much the second time. Clothing is a tricky one because what fits someone really well might be rubbish on someone else. You might prefer the Cypher 3/4.

Judging by some of the comments here you would be forgiven for thinking we don't actually care about about Moon and it's products or customers. This couldn't be further from the truth.

JulesW 23 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: image consious designer, over expensive designer stuff fot those who pose not climb ....IMOHO
Marts 23 May 2006
In reply to Ben Moon: No, not at all, I wouldn't know what the after service is like as I've never been upset enough to make an issue. I've bought far more jeans in my time that have felt shit once I got them home. I have 4 pairs of moonpants and stopped buying after the said last purchase. I liked them because they moved in the right places and the material could take a beating. Ordering the Slackers the second time (yes they were slackers) sort of put me off, wondering if all the gear had gone that way. Materialwise especially, I did particularly like the rubber buttons as well. Silly little things that enter your mind over the decline in cost to sale price. Its all about finding the best quality for your money at the end of the day.
 Denni 23 May 2006
In reply to Anonymous:
Only my experience in Ben's after sales, and that was via the ice factor, not direct to him.
 Al Evans 24 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: Its having to have the built in pee bag that gets me, and the oxygen packs would be a nightmare if it wasnt for the low gravity.
 John Mulhern 24 May 2006
In reply to Ben Moon:

Ben we dont think your service is rubbish. In fact I think the moon website is one of the best climbing sites around and the products are pretty cool. Every company has niggles and its comments like these that help iron those niggles out (great word 'niggles' aint it?)

All the best
 abarro81 24 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: I've found his service from his website very good, though I've no experience of the aftersales because...

I've got some utility patch pants and a t-shirt and both are great. One of the toggles on a zip for a back pocket has broken off, but this was after a few months of 2/3 times a week bouldering and routes in the uk and 3 weeks solid of sliding around on super sharp granite in Sinai. Can't really complain given that my mate trashed a pair of brand new arc'teryx trousers on the same trip, and others also put loads of rips etc in their non-moon trousers.

But... have heard of similar problems from a couple of people - seems slightly hit and miss
 BrynM 24 May 2006
> (In reply to Ben Moon)
>
> In fact I think the moon website is one of the best climbing sites around and the products are pretty cool.

too right. my last three pe homeworks have been copy and paste jobs off there . . . . but the poppers have come off my cypher pants, and they were more light brown than dark grey. but i still like them and wear them all the time!
 KeithW 24 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne:

Can I just point out that I spent £9.99 on a pair of trews 5 years ago; I've climbed every week in them indoors and out, and taken them on every trip away in that time. I finally had to retire them last week.

But they were Regatta, so not cool. Sorry.
Wes 24 May 2006
In reply to bryn marsh:
> (In reply to John Mulhern)
but the poppers have come off my cypher pants, and they were more light brown than dark grey.

If you bought them from Snow and Rock in Birmingham (a guess as that's where your based on your profile) they'll exchange them for you if a bust popper is bugging you. Don't forget your reciept or proof of purchse as they can't help you otherwise.
 BrynM 24 May 2006
In reply to Wes: i did go there to try and get them but they didnt have them in stock yet so i bought them over the web instead. i wasnt moaning, just saying. i cant really be arsed to change them anyway - at the end of the day its only a pocket.
Wes 24 May 2006
In reply to bryn marsh:

Okey dokey- good attitude as well
OP Anonymous 24 May 2006
In reply to Phil Payne: Does anyone else find it amusing to se Ben Moon on a climbing site with a learner symbol next to his name
In reply to Phil Payne:

Have a moon vest, which is pretty good quality.

I also have a moon chalkbag, the first one was broken when it arrived. The second has recently broken after several months use.
In reply to A Longleat Boulderer:

I've got a chalkbag that I've used for years, and it's as good now as when I first bought it. What is going on?
 BrynM 24 May 2006
In reply to Ands:
> (In reply to Wes)
>
> [...]
>
> I bet his parents who actually paid good money for the pants would have a slightly different attitude.
>
i bought them with the same paper round money i buy most of my things with.im not some spoilt brat its just that i wouldnt return a pair of trousers just because the popper that closes a flap over an already zipped pocket has come off.

In reply to Ands:

Oooookaaayy.
In reply to Gordon Stainforth:

PS. Talking of quality, RAB is truly awesome (and I see now that they do chalk bags, that I doubt v much fall apart after just a few months.) I've had a Rab down duvet jacket since 1989 - I got it for my first book, Eyes to the Hills, because I knew I'd be standing around a hell of lot by my camera in the cold - and it's still looking virtually as good as new. It has just been used so much, on all four of my mountain books, plus a trip to the Himalaya (Kala Pattar etc), plus many times in the Peak, Lakes and Snowdon, recently, in winter. It's taken a real hammering, been treated like shit really, must have been used on at least 200 days spread over 17 years, but it shows no, I mean no, obvious signs of wear and tear. Just v v slightly dirty. Quite incredible. People just don't believe me when I say I've had it for 17 years. I don't even remember it costing a huge amount. Well, it was probably about 100 quid then, but it's paid for itself many times over.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...