UKC

PYB in Arolla!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
Has anyone been on the Plas Y Brenin alpine course in Arolla?

I am just wondering how they break down the week in terms of all the different activities that are covered?

Did people find it necessary to take all the listed technical equipment with them or was it possible to borrow a few items?

Also what is the campsite like for facilities and are there any shops in arolla?
 Chris Sansum 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

Campsite is very nice. Clean and well maintained, with full shower facilities. The people who run the site don't speak much English, but I made myself understood in my pigeon-French. There is a small shop on the site selling basic provisions. In Arolla itself, which is a slog up the hill (you can cut through the woods to avoid meandering miles along the road) there are some small shops - including a (very limited) gear shop and a shop selling basic provisions. The gear shop hires out via ferrata kit in case you are interested.

I wouldn't recommend the food at the hotel by the campsite - their pizzas were crap. We'd probably grown to expect freshly made pizzas cooked in a brick oven by that stage though!

Evolene, a few miles back along the road, has more in the way of supplies.
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Chris Sansum: thanks for that info its really useful mate.

How did u travel to arolla if u dont mind me asking? As I am living my cooking my own meals most nights with maybe one visit to restaurant and one night in a hut, what amounts of money would it be recommended to take for a week, not including petrol prices???
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
has anyone done the Plas Y Brenin course mentioned??? would be really nice to hear from some people who have
 Wil Treasure 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

Post bus from Sion (stops just outside the train station).
There is a small shop in Arolla, which sells everything necessary food wise, but not a great range. You can have bread delivered to the campsite in the morning if you fancy.

Can't remember how much money I took with me, but make sure you have plenty, evolene has cashpoints and a larger supermarket, if you're nice to people at the campsite (or on your course) you can probably scrounge a lift.

I think we had 2 nights in huts, worked out about 20-25 quid including dinner and (slightly crappy) breakfast for each night.

With the gear, for things like axes/crampons/rucksacks (ie basics) you need to let them know, for icescrews/ropeman etc you will be ok. Make sure you take prussik loops, and a few slings, and mark your gear.

The format was along the lines of - first day, easy short route, learning to move together, tying off coils, fast belays, abbing with a prussik. Next day playing on a glacier on the way to a hut, crampon technique, ice screw placement, snow anchors. From hut we did a slightly longer trickier route with an easyish glacial descent. Fourth day learning to ascend a rope, and a bit of sport climbing in the valley before walking to another hut. Then fifth day another route, but we were leading the guides (supposedly).

Have a good week, ask lots of questions, our instructors were excellent. Get them chatting about their adventures to give you some inspiration!

Wil
 hamish2016 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

Thanks for the info.
Do you mind if i ask a quick question, what did they require for you to carry? (to guage bag size)

thanks
hamish
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to katonka: what do u mean by plenty? I have £350 saved up but dont plan on using all that!

Which instructors did u have whilst you were there?
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: are u going or something? i havent been yet so dont know what they expect you to carry.

If you are going, what dates are you going???
 Chris Sansum 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

I travelled from Sion. I think it was a normal bus rather than a post bus. There weren't many per day, and they didn't run late - we spent the night in a hostel very close to the station at Sion as there were no buses that evening.

No idea how much money to take - I'd say the prices are comparable to the UK though.

There is no cashpoint in Arolla by the way - as mentioned above, the cashpoint is in Evolene. When I went it gave me a receipt to confirm I'd drawn the money out and then didn't give me the cash! Had to hang around in Evolene until the bank opened up in the afternoon (shops etc are closed for lunch for about 2-3 hours, in common with a lot of the alps).
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Chris Sansum: I am travelling by car so that is not a problem. Is it best to take as much food with you as possible then as that is possible for me because of the car.

What are the facilities like for exchanging travellers cheques???
 hamish2016 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:
Yeh, 23rd to the 27th July, yourself?

Was asking the other guy about what you're required to carry since i don't want to take loads of diff bags to the alps.

cheers
hamish
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: thats a good questions. what does yr kitlist include so far? can i just ask, what coats are u planning on taking and what climbing experience do u have?

I am going on the earlier course from 3rd July onwards
 hamish2016 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

erm prob the same as yours, axes, crampons, usual climbing gear, ice screw etc

I'm going to take my vapur-rise smock and my ME waterproof.

I've done a reasonable amount of winter mountaineering but more scrambling than climbing.
Loads of winter/summer hillwalking.
Re the climbing side im fine with single pitch sport climbing but havent done any trad/multipitch climbing. PYB said this wasnt a problem but i intend to get to the peaks before the course to at least give it a go.

what about yourself?

cheers
hamish
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: I have the axes, crampons, climbing gear but no ice screw which PYB say aint a problem.

Im takin my Montane Smock which is good for belays and when temp is a bit lower and then my ME Changabang because I love it.

I've done a good enough amount of winter mountaineering all over UK, lots of scrambling and some climbing with a tiny bit of mulitpitch.

where abouts do you live by the way? my email address is adamicon@yahoo.co.uk if you ever need a climbing partner because I am a bit short of one myself
 hamish2016 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:

I should really write something on my profile! I'm just north of london so quite a distance from you(assuming your profile is correct)! I'll keep your email addy and i may have some questions for when you return lol

Are you taking a full size hammer or one of the smaller ones for placements and emergencies?

cheers
hamish
OP Ads Co. 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Hamish Dunn: aye a profile is always useful I am taking a full size hammer because it is all i have. what winter grade do u climb to then? yeah sure keep the email address and i will be happy to answer any questions.

have u decided on how much money you plan on taking and how much travellers cheques and how much currency???
 Chris Sansum 19 Jun 2006
In reply to Ads Co.:
> Is it best to take as much food with you as possible then as that is possible for me because of the car.

Depends whether you want to eat like the locals - you won't find any Walkers crisps or tins of baked beans, but there is plenty of good local food, eg cheeses, rosti, spicy sausage etc.

> What are the facilities like for exchanging travellers cheques???

No idea!
OP Ads Co. 22 Jun 2006
bump
 Richard 22 Jun 2006
In reply to Chris Sansum:
> I made myself understood in my pigeon-French

"Pidgin French".

Pigeons don't speak French...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...