UKC

Good climbing shops in Manchester

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Robert Dickson 07 Jul 2006
I'm hoping to replace me rockboots and am looking for recommendations for shops in the Manchester area with knowledgable, friendly staff and not just a bunch of grumpy yoof.

Yours curmudgeonly,
Bob
 kms 07 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson:

cotswold in manc climbing centre are a good friendly bunch, and what a better way to see if you shoes fit than on an actual climbing wall
In reply to kms: Good point, I'd forgotten about them! May have to patronise them this weekend.

Thanks,
Bob
 CarolineMc 07 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson: You could also try Alpenstock in Stockport - I hear the staff are very friendly! C-:
 cmgcmg 07 Jul 2006

Decathlon and Go outdoors in Stockport
 CarolineMc 07 Jul 2006
In reply to cmgcmg: I think the OP stated...

"knowledgable, friendly staff and not just a bunch of grumpy yoof"

Don't think Decathlon counts!
C-:
Chris Tan 07 Jul 2006

If ypu're not looking for something too technical, go outsdoors have some very good deals at the mo.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/
Nao 07 Jul 2006
In reply to CarolineMc:
Been to Alpenstock and they are indeed very nice. Quite small though. And in... Stockport.
In reply to all: Oh hoorah! A weekend of shopping for climbing goodies awaits. Sure beats actually doing any of this nasty climbing type stuff.

Thanks again,
Bob
groundmagnet 08 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson: I've been using Paul Braithwaites in Oldham for about 3 years now, eversince being f*#@ed off with the service at one of the big chain stores (coulnt get anyone to help me who actually knew what they were talking about). Braithwaites dont quite have the selection that you might find in a bigger shop but they are alway happy to help you out, and I've always found that if they dont have what I'm after they can usually get it for me within a couple of weeks.
 Andy Farnell 08 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson: What about going to Manchester wall? They have a good shop inside.

Andy F
SJD 11 Jul 2006
> I'm hoping to replace me rockboots and am looking for recommendations for shops in the Manchester area with knowledgable, friendly staff and not just a bunch of grumpy yoof.
>
> Yours curmudgeonly,
> Bob

bit late for this but just saw the thread.. Snow and Rock in West Didsbury, on the princess parkway, good shop friendly peeps and they do a price promise to online prices ....
Stormmagnet 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson: As people are giving suggestions outside of the city centre, I will add the shop at Climb Rochdale, nice people, know there stuff and post on here occasionally.
 anonymous1 11 Jul 2006
In reply to SJD:

how anyone could ever suggest this place is beyond me ( snow and rock ). I 've given up going there due to the attitude of the staff. They are so bloody condicending and grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Avoid the place its full of idiots.

However, Cotswolds at the MCC is good as is Tut Braithwaites in Oldham and Alpen Stock in Stockport.
sdsplus 11 Jul 2006
In reply to Robert Dickson: I can also recommend Braithwaite's in Oldham. Great customer service and product knowledge.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...