UKC

Cycling - improving performance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TN 08 Aug 2006
Have just started cycling again and am wondering how long before I start to notice an improvement.

The route I have decided to do is only about 6 miles on roads but is really hilly. Last night - my first attempt - I had to get off and walk once and I had another brief rest when the chain came off my bike.

I realise I am even more unfit than I thought I was but wondered if I do this route maybe 3 times a week for starters (I can add in a couple of flat-ish sections for extra mileage once I start to improve) how long will it take before I can, for example, do the whole route without having to stop and push. (It's being out of breath that's getting me, rather than my legs hurting)

I know swimming is a sport where you notice improvements quite quickly, but what about cycling?

Any tips for someone brought up in the flatlands for tackling hills? I feel like I am going to fall off when I start using the granny gears and prefer to push hard rather than pedal really fast - but it's killing me. I suspect the best advice is just to keep at it, but I am hoping I am missing something and I can make things a bit easier for myself... (ie: riding behind Muz last night it was obvious to me that his seat was WAY too low - he adjusted it and said it felt LOADS better. unfortunately, my seat is the right height.)

Thanks in advance.
Fex Wazner 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Just keep doing it, it uses very different muscles than most other sports.

It took me years before I could nail most haills without even getting out of breath. I could just aboutdrink my water and cycle after about 3months. Just remeber to keep in a low gear at first, be patient and spin up the hills.

Fex.
johnsdowens 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
>
> Any tips for someone brought up in the flatlands for tackling hills? I feel like I am going to fall off when I start using the granny gears and prefer to push hard rather than pedal really fast - but it's killing me.

I'm afraid the granny gears are the way forward. Try concentrating on you cadence (rpm of your legs), and try to keep it constant. when your legs slow down a bit, drop a gear. When going uphill try to keep the same rhythm going, in a lower gear and staying in the seat for as long as possible.

Not sure if that's good advice, but works for me.

OP TN 08 Aug 2006
In reply to johnsdowens & Fex:

Thanks guys. I figured it was just a case of keeping at it, it's just a bit soul destroying when I hit a hill and have to stop so soon.
I am not bad, coordination-wise, I just feel 'unstable' when I am going SOOOOO slowly - like the gyroscope has stopped gyroing, if you know what I mean...
When I stopped and had to walk I was walking almost as fast as Muz was pedalling and that sort of disheartened me a bit too.
I know any exercise is good, but I used to cycle hundreds of miles a week when I lives in Donny and I feel like I should be able to do the same now, even though I am twice as old and on entirely different terrain. Women, eh?
 Martin W 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: Sheldon Brown on pedalling cadence and the use of gears:

"Pushing" vs. "Spinning"

"Pushing" a high gear at a slow cadence is like power lifting. It is good for building up muscle mass and bulking up your legs, but it does little for your heart or lungs, and you can hurt yourself if you overdo it.

"Spinning" a lower gear at a rapid cadence is more like swimming. The rapid motion, with many repetitions makes the legs supple and flexible, it is highly aerobic, and the light pressure that goes with this style reduces wear and tear on the joints. With practice "spinning" becomes easier and more comfortable.

I was out at the weekend with a couple of adventure racers who disappeared up hills leaving me struggling in their dust. One of them swore that pushing a higher gear was better. Her performance seemed to bear that out. Mind you, they had the significant advantages of being about ten years and having a rather less sedantary lifestyle. I prefer to "spin" as far as I am able to, then get off and walk. My bicycle computer was very useful on that ride for telling me when walking would be just as quick!
johnsdowens 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

do you have toeclips or clipless pedals, or are you on flats? being able to "pull" as well as "push" can be a lifesaver, and I find having resitance for the full stroke when spinning feels a lot more stable as well - a lot less like you're flailing with your legs.
 lost1977 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

trade in bike for a tandem sit behind Muz and let him do all the pedalling

OP TN 08 Aug 2006
In reply to johnsdowens:

Good point. I have got flat pedals with 'spikes' in them. I have a spare set of pedals with toeclips that I might put on this evening and see whether that helps.

I think I also need to sort out the gears on this bike - I don't have a hard enough gear to allow me to pedal hard enough on downhills, so I think I need to get my clever cycling bro involved...
OP TN 08 Aug 2006
In reply to lost1977:

Hey, I used to ride tandem time trials with my dad when I was a teenager. I have never been so scared! Never again.
 steev 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

If you're cycling on predominantly tarmac then seriously consider your tyres. Slick road tyres make a massive difference. Any time I ride a bike on tarmac with nobbly tyres I feel as if I've suddenly become really unfit. I also find making sure that my tyres are fully inflated (60-70 psi for my slick MTB tyres) makes a big difference too.

Oh, and as said above, I've found that learning to spin makes a big difference too.
 lost1977 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

it did some tandem mountain bikeing about 10yrs ago (great fun but you really have to trust the other person)
stoo 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Sounds like you and me are in the same boat, except I started a couple of weeks ago. Hang in there, after just a couple of weeks I am starting to notice the difference.

All good replies re. cadence, from what I remember of being a fit cycling whipper snapper, but also try and concentrate a bit on the quality of your pedalling, particularly as the cranks go round past vertical. If you can smooth that transition out, it will provide a noticeable increase in power on the long drags.
OP TN 08 Aug 2006
In reply to steev:

Hi. I do have fairly slick MTB tyres already but suspect they are probably underinflated - running at about 50psi. Muz has the fattest knobbly tyres I've ever seen and I figured that would make things harder.

Must keep at the spinning thing it appears. :-S
OP TN 08 Aug 2006
In reply to stoo:

That's reassuring - thanks! And well done too!

In reply to everyone:

Thanks a lot for all your really helpful replies. Will keep them all in mind when I go out again later (if it doesn't rain. Yes, I know that's poor but I don't fancy riding in the rain.)
WillinLA 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Get your backside over the back of the saddle, hands on the brake hoods or top of the bar, and err on the low side of gears. Start low, and if you're feeling good you can change up - chnaging up will make you go faster, but changing down will almost always slow you down and break your rhythm. Most people sit up and relax as they get to the top, good climbers (in a cycling sense, that is) keep driving hard over the crest of the hill and beyond to get up speed for the descent.

Testoterone is also pretty popular.
 andy 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: Article on climbing technique in this month's Cycling Plus - low gears and honking seems to be the answer!
 yer maw 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: definately stick with the advice on using higher reps (say 100rpm) which is harder on older legs at first but will get better.

improvements will come in about 3 weeks at the rate you're going out and the mileage, but don't expect miracles. after about a year you should be able to do 100 miles a week.

as for hills, don't get off the bike. bung it in a smaller gear and keep pedalling. even if it's walking pace you're using your muscles etc in a different manner. eventually you'll be honking and able to control how hard you take a hill which is one of the great pleasures in cycling.

keep it up dude.

Timmd 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:Make sure you stretch regularly as well,to help stop you getting pulled muscles and achilies or hamstring problems from everything being tight in the backs of your legs,i think it helps pedalling feel a bit easier as well,i find if i miss out stretching for a while things feel knotted up and it's harder work.
Tim
 Timmd 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

http://www.cyclefit.co.uk/stretching.htm

http://www.totalbike.com/November1999/stretch1.html

http://www.cptips.com/stretch.htm

http://websterbicycle.com/page.cfm?PageID=80

Here's some sites with information about stretching,i hope there's not too many,but i think there's something different that might be usefull on each site. It's satisfying to cycle out to Burbage when you eventually get that fit,the views seem especially nice.()

Cheers
Tim
 lost1977 08 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Testoterone,clen,HGH,EPO,decca

all popular choices for improving performance
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to lost1977:

I think I'll stick to apples, pizza and water for now, but thanks anyway!
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to yer maw:

Thanks for this. We didn't go out last night in the end as it chucked it down - tonight, maybe.

I was thinking of riding to my parents house some time soon, maybe at the weekend - only about 30 miles and once I get out of Sheff it's relatively flat (I can pedal forever on flats/gentle slopes - it really IS just the steep stuff)

What the heck is honking? It doesn't sound pleasant (or feminine!)

Cheers, all.
 Alan Stark 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

I was doing the Preston 10 mile TT last night and it started to p155 down 2 minutes before I was due to start!

Got drowned, but at least rain does not penetrate the skin!

'Honking' is an old fashioned term (I first heard it over 40 years ago) when you get out of your saddle on a climb.
 rallymania 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

these steep hills you are doing are they on road or off road?

good suggestions (some already meantioned i know) are:
clips and straps or QR pedals (imagine pedaling in circles... not up and down)
the top roadies seem to recomend spinning the pedals at about 90rpm (count ur right leg coming up 15 times in 10secs) offroad i tend to pedal a bit slower as i find it aids balance.
if off road, try pushing your bum towards the back of the saddle a bit, and bending your elbows in and down to move your shoulders forward, loosen ur grip on the bars a touch.

but the things that make the biggest difference for me are actually mind tricks.
first off don't watch muz to closely, concentrate on you.
try and control your breathing if you can keep that as long deep breaths you'll start to feel better sooner.
break the hill into sections and ride each section, forget about the rest of the hill until you reach the next section (in your head you're going "yay, i did that bit, now lets do this next wee section") before you know it the hill will be gone
when you reach the top of the hill, don't sit up on your bike and go "phew glad thats over", the tip is to keep riding over the top of the hill changing into a higher gear and pedal for about 10 - 15 secs before you sit up. (that was a tip from when i used to race and it really works) otherwise your mind and body treats the top of the hill as the end of the climb where as the end of the climb isn't until you are back up to speed again

and finally, make sure you are taking on enough fluid. i know this might sound ecky but if you sweat a lot consider getting an isotonic drink for your bottle. isostar / high5 are both good. and do some stretchs when you've finished.

keep at it kid, cycling is great fun and even better when ur fit
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to rallymania:

It's all on road at the moment - I want to get a little bit fit before I venture on to the more exciting terrain!
I have some replacement pedals to put on as I am on flat ones at the moment.

It appears I am doing at least one of those things you suggested by pedalling up to a decent speed after reaching the top of a hill - not sure why I am doing it, I just do it. One down...

I will keep at it and one day I might even be able to join in on one of those UKC bike meets...
 JLS 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

>"I don't have a hard enough gear to allow me to pedal hard enough on downhills"

If you're doing less than 140rmp on the downhill then the above statement probably isn't true.

In time you will learn to pedal fast. As a rough guide...

Uphill - 75 to 85 rpm.
Flat - 90 to 100 rpm.
Downhill - 110 to 140 rpm.

There are no Tour de France type climbs in the UK most hills here circum to a wee bit of thuggery i.e get out of the saddle and push hard.
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:

I was pedalling as fast as I could and feeling NO resistance at all (it's a Halfords special bike, so I am thinking it is quite possible that it's got a weird set of gears on it!)

I DO prefer the thuggish approach to hills, I have to admit. Unfortunately, so far, my lungs seem to disagree!
 JLS 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

>"fast as I could"

The point being it's your legs that are (currently) too slow not nessacarily the gear too low.

If you count the teeth on your big chain ring (at the front) and your wee sprocket (at the back) and report back, I'll be happy to comfirm or retract my statement.

However it is true that some hills are steap enough to merry a tucked position rather than pedaling but like I say if you're just starting out you're not likely to be pedalling as fast as you think.
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:

I am sure you're right, but given the previous dramas I have had with this bike who knows. I reckon it was built on a Friday afternoon out of bits from the 'spare parts' bin...

Actually I was never good at pedalling fast anyway - on the tandem my dad used to pedal so fast down hills the only way I kept up was because my feet were clipped in. Terrifying!
 McGus 09 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to TN)
>
> Uphill - 75 to 85 rpm.
> Flat - 90 to 100 rpm.
> Downhill - 110 to 140 rpm.

Interesting. thanks for that....

> circum

could this be the word of the day?! Love it....not poking fun really, just like the variation. presuming you meant succomb? mind, I've probably spelt that wrong!

heather monkey 09 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:
> In time you will learn to pedal fast. As a rough guide...
>
> Uphill - 75 to 85 rpm.
> Flat - 90 to 100 rpm.
> Downhill - 110 to 140 rpm.

Ok, just for arguments sake, say after quite a lot of time you still havent learnt to pedal that fast could you possibly give some hints & tips on how to learn, please?
(For reference I have a touring bike set up - triple on the front & I think the big ring is 48. I've been cycling recreationally for years & I dont have a problem with reasonable mileage (up to 35/40 for an evening run, longer at w/e) or hills (cycled the Bealach na Ba pass to Applecross, Wester Ross a couple of weekends ago) but I'm definitely more of a higher gear grinder than a low gear spinner, but I'd love not to be!)
 Adders 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: hi ya trudi - rik will happily have a look for you and fix anything on friday if you bring it with you.
i think you pretty much know what your talking about with biking so its probably just a matter of practise makes perfect.
i still die on the hills too. i think you need to be biking a few times a week often to get hill fit. walkers could go faster than me on the hills at the moment but the trick is to keep on peddaling and not give up and each ride you'll notice small improvements - whether it be in a dif gear, distance or just feels better.

keep on riding mate is my only advice.
 Chris the Tall 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
Floyd Landis seems to be blaming beer and whisky for the testesterone boost that enabled him to win the Tour de France - I'm not keen on whisky so I double up on the beer
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:

LOL!
I reckon testosterone is the LAST thing I'll be needing - I'm 'blokey' enough as it is....

In reply to Adders:
Thanks - I might take you/Rik up on that, although I suspect the fixes that I need to do (initially at least) I should be able to manage myself, under supervision anyway.

I HATE hills. Did I mention that?
 JLS 09 Aug 2006
In reply to heather monkey:

>"some hints & tips on how to learn, please?"

Ride with a low gear fixed wheel or single freewheel.

Fixed wheel is best but it isn't very sociable when your mates freewheel away downhill. If you have the will power then just stay in a low gear on the flat, if not disable your gears so you're stuck in a low gear.
 T-Rex 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
For the hills, sit as far back on the seat as possible and pick a gear that you will be able to sustain all the way up the hill. Selecting a high gear then keep dropping a gear as soon as it gets hard will tire you out quickly. Give it a few weeks and you will soon be zipping up those hills!
heather monkey 09 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:
> (In reply to heather monkey)
>
> If you have the will power then just stay in a low gear on the flat, if not disable your gears so you're stuck in a low gear.

I have a feeling that will be the latter for me then!
Ta.
 Chris the Tall 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
> I HATE hills. Did I mention that?

You on a road bike or a mountain bike

I hate hills on a road bike (but occasionally do them out of a bizarre mix of catholic guilt complex and protestant work ethic), but love them on a mountain bike. The difference being the technical challenge - bit like climbing rather than rambling
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris the Tall:

It's a mountain bike (of sorts) with slick-ish tyres. I was actually wondering about borrowing a road bike off my dad and seeing whether that suits me better.
 davidwright 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: If you are riding on road the whole time you will find road bikes lighter, more responsive and more airodynamic and easier to rest on, once you have got used to fully using droped bars that is....

The other thing I would say is that 6 miles sounds way too short. you will need 20 mins as a minimum for aerobic exercise and that would give most 12-18 mins, a bit more on hilly rides perhaps but not much. you ought to be looking at 60-80 mins for a short ride so 15-20 miles and then looking to put in at least 1 longer ride a week (40-60+) to get the most out of it.

I used to do some as non-load barring exercise when I was injured and couldn't run. Reckoned 6-8 mile would replace a 3 mile run (but had to be eyeballs out pushing hard all the way), 12-15 could replace a 10K, 30-35 a 10 miler and I needed 60+ to replace a long run.
 Alan Stark 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

It's all in the gearing.

Coming back to the bike after almost 40 years, I found that my brain still knew how to pedal with a fairly high cadence -- it's just the legs that lacked power! As you get older the gearing needs to be lower. I can currently get up most things (up to 17%) with a 42 x 28 whereas when I raced, I never used anything less than a 46 x 24 and that would see me over any of the big hills in Northumberland, Durham and the North Pennines!

I'm resisting the temptation to go for a triple chainring on my road bike, but will probably opt for a 'compact - 50/36 double next year, with a closer ratio cassette 12 - 24.

Above all the secret to getting over hills is MILEAGE, and not going too hard at them too soon.
 TobyA 09 Aug 2006
In reply to yer maw:
> (In reply to TN) definately stick with the advice on using higher reps (say 100rpm) which is harder on older legs at first but will get better.

I've asked about cadence before, but now having done maybe 1000 kms with a computer with a cadence metre on it, I've got more data on this and have come to the conclusion I just cannot cycle at 100 rpms for any length of time. To get above 100 rpms I have to be going downhill and along the flat doing 90 - 95 rpms is possible but hardwork. But the thing is I still managed to average 30 kms over 60 kms on a ride recently so I think I can ride at a respectable speed - but my physiology seems to favour pushing over spinning. This is cycling around 100-120 kms a week, i.e. cycling fit, and using SPDs on my commuter and mountain bike and Look pedals on my road bike, and concentrating on pulling as well as pushing on the pedals.

Does anyone else have similar experience?
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to davidwright:

I didn't say how long it took me to do this 6 miles!

I know it's not far, but at the moment it's really all I can manage - the hills are horrendous and unless I drive out somewhere flat, there is no avoiding them, so I am just building it up as well as I can...
 Alan Stark 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:

A cadence of 90 - 95 is a comfortable rate to aim at.

It may seem strange at first, but believe me, you'll be able to sustain it longer, and the lactic acid does not build up in the legs as quickly. Keep using the gears to maintain as even a cadence as possible.

Once you hit a hill, unless you're very fit or have plenty of lower gears your cadence will be guaranteed to drop -- we cant all climb like Armstrong or Pantani -- more's the pity.
 TobyA 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Alan Stark: On my post I wrote: "the thing is I still managed to average 30 kms over 60 kms on a ride recentl" I should have said: "the thing is I still managed to average 30 kmph over 60 kms on a ride recently.

The hills are all pretty small here but I find keeping the same cadence up on hill is fine by using the gears, it more just on the flats that doing 95 is hard work - I can do the same speed at about 88-90 rpms for me in a slightly hire gear and it just feels more natural. I just wondered how much different body type change the optimum in these things. Similarly, my heart rate when exercising seems to be a lot higher than average for people of my age, yet I'm relatively fit and drops quickly and to quite a low level when I stop - it just seems to be the way I work.

> we cant all climb like Armstrong or Pantani -- more's the pity.

It is! But I also think I climb more like Ulrich who seems famous for having big legs and pushing rather than spinning up hills!
 rallymania 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:

hey listen it's all just guide lines, if you want to ride one gear higher, pedal a wee bit slower and push the gears more there's nothing wrong with that. what we're talking about is the average optimum, not a hard and fast rule

the important thing is to get out on the bike and enjoy the ride, the rest will fall into place soon enough
if in doubt go out riding with a local club / group and see what they suggest
 Alan Stark 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:
> (In reply to Alan Stark) should have said: "the thing is I still managed to average 30 kmph over 60 kms on a ride recently.
>
Good going!

I just failed to break the half hour barrier fot the 10mile TT last night in pouring rain.

I can generally manage around 26 - 28kmph on most days on fairly hilly terrain of up to 60km., and I'm closer to 60 than 30, and have just taken up the bike again after more than 35 years.

I've managed to beat the 30 minute barrier once this summer, and with a bit more training, expect to get down to around the 28 minute mark next year!
 TobyA 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Alan Stark:

> I can generally manage around 26 - 28kmph on most days on fairly hilly terrain of up to 60km.,

We have very few real hills in southern Finland I imagine that would slash my average time!
 yer maw 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TobyA:
> I've asked about cadence before, but now having done maybe 1000 kms with a computer with a cadence metre on it, I've got more data on this and have come to the conclusion I just cannot cycle at 100 rpms for any length of time. To get above 100 rpms I have to be going downhill and along the flat doing 90 - 95 rpms is possible but hardwork.

100rpm isn't an average to aim for but would be feasible to keep up on the flats. it's different for you as you aren't aiming to use the bike to get fit and lose weight so a lower cadence is perfectly fine. I struggle with 100 rpm on my runs but then like yourself I'm looking for speed. granted though as I said earlier a higher cadence just ain't possible for some folks physiques, but the higher the better as gear crunching is bad for the joints.

30kph on a 60k run is quite impressive btw.
DeadSquirrel 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
> > Any tips ?

Avoid this...

http://www.youcanbefit.com/itbs.html

(there is a list of things not to do)
OP TN 09 Aug 2006
In reply to DeadSquirrel:

Sounds like a FINE plan! I'm all for avoiding pain and injury.
DeadSquirrel 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Get used to using the 'granny' gears - I think that's what did it for me, years of steep hills in too high a gear (think I regarded it as some kind of personal challenge not to use the granny ring). Plus in the spring, suddenly switching from winter climbing and hill walking to long bike rides without building up the distance gradually enough.
 TobyA 09 Aug 2006
In reply to yer maw:

> 30kph on a 60k run is quite impressive btw.

Yer Maw - you've just become my man! Cheers - that made my day. Like I said there aren't too many hills around here, although its not Holland. My legs were pretty tired the next day though!

Pocket Rocket 09 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
I recommend testing a road bike. Recently swapped my work run from mountain bike(with slicks) to road bike. Shaved 8 minutes off my average time. That's 8 minutes extra in bed and 8 minutes more home time. Wind permitting.
It's improved my cycling technique too.
 Chris Shorter 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Alan Stark:

I hope you're enjoying your return to testing.

I persuaded my wife to return to time-trialling this year, riding with me on a tandem. It's got a bit serious as we're down to 20-35, 52-45 and 1-52-22 (which included time off the bike following a crash!). Great "fun".
 Alan Stark 09 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris Shorter:

Those are serious times for you and your lady on the tandem.

Cant say I ever 'enjoyed' tt's -- I was more of a 'road man' and a climber as opposed to a clock basher, but I did win our clubs mountain time trial one year, even though the handicapper was a pervert and handed me the no1 number despite knowing I stood a good chance. The bugger made sure everyone else had time checks and someone to aim for.

For anyone who knows Northumberland, it was basically a circuit of the Simonside Hills. The course started at Rothley Cross Roads, then headed north over Garleigh Moor to Rothbury, west along the valley to Thropton, over Bilsmoor to Elsdon, then over the Gibbet and back to Rothely. 27.5 miles, and just over 1 hour 24. (And that was in 1966) -- They were hard hills.

Best 10 was around 23.50, 25 was 1.3.18, and 50 was 2.08 if I remember correctly. Gave up the bike in 69 and started climbing as I reckoned it was safer than being on the road as much!

Chris Shorter 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Alan Stark:

I've sort of oscilated between cycling and rock climbing for 30 years. I've not done much climbing for about 5 years since I had a frustrating series of hand injuries.

I once did try to be serious about both in the same year in about 1985; The idea was that I raced until about July and climbed after that. It sort of worked; I won about 20 opens, including the Anfield 100 and had a share in the 100km TTT Nat Champs bronze medal. On the climbing side, I could hardly touch rock for a month because my hands got sore really easily but I did get up to leading a few E4's by the end of the season.

I tried it again the following year. E6 this time but no wins and precious few sub-hour rides either. Never tried both seriously again!
Nao 10 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:
Hi there! Am not really the best person to give advice as I am rubbish, but... being a small/unfit person, I have generally found that using slightly bigger than the 'granny gears' helps me get up hills better. I don't really like that feeling of pedalling furiously and getting nowhere! So I generally go for larger gears. Not the huge ones but just not the tiny ones where you have to pedal really fast.

Also, as you said, I think seat adjustment/position can make quite a lot of difference.
 kevin stephens 10 Aug 2006
In reply to Chris Shorter:

Rashly I recently set myself a daft ambition of doing a sub hour 25 and redpointing 8a when I'm 50; 2 years time

From a base of 29 for a 10 and redpointing one 7b I'm not sure which is more far fetched! I'll probably be lucky to not get any worse than now
hillmuncher 10 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Did my first 1000 metre climb on my road bike last week, I practically wanted to throw my bike over the edge in the last 2 KMS, to get me up there I used granny gears the whole way and mind games......

Did play around with where my bum was on my seat and sitting back helped quite a lot.

coming down was a whole other matter, scary as hell.

You'll get there, I only started out a few months ago as I entered a triathlon for 20 August and the improvement is huge and it is great great fun.
 Chris Shorter 10 Aug 2006
In reply to kevin stephens:

I'm sure the 8a would be the harder proposition by miles. Loads and loads of old men beat the hour but not many get anywhere near 8a.

There's a 25 course in South Wales where the net of descent over ascent is favourable by about 500 feet. Not much traffic but who needs it with a start like that!
OP TN 10 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Well, we just did the same ride again. I rested for a shorter time and we did the whole run quicker overall. And that included me throwing up! (I think we went out too soon after eating. Ooops!) My legs don't feel as wobbly this time either.
I AM improving. Yippee! This year Stannington, next year the TdF! Well, maybe not.
joe bailes 11 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: well i have been cycling now for 8 months now, and my average speed at the start was 16 MPH, not its 22-23MPH, just do alot of miles is my advise
 Alan Taylor 11 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

reading this has inspired me to get back on my bike. hope I can keep it up and do as well as you.

Cheers

Alan
OP TN 11 Aug 2006
In reply to Alan Taylor:

Ha ha - do as well as me? I have just been to the docs for an inhaler after having a bit of an asthma episode last night... So I hope you do better than me! Good luck! :-D

On the plus side, by backside doesn't hurt as much today as it did last time. And next time we go out I will tack on some of the additional mileage 'loops' that are available. RARING to go!
 JLS 11 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

>"I have just been to the docs for an inhaler after having a bit of an asthma episode last night..."

Bl00dy hell you've not been cycling 5 minutes and your on the drugs already!!! PMPLOL
OP TN 12 Aug 2006
In reply to JLS:

I'm easing myself into the testosterone slowly...

Actually, I am still wheezing now! I could really do without it - I sound dead rough.
superfurrymonkey 12 Aug 2006
In reply to TN: I started about 2 months ago and I`ve cycled at least 80 miles this week around N wales, I`ve been doing hills one day and the next on the flat then a couple of days off.
OP TN 12 Aug 2006
In reply to TN:

Well, I doubt it's cycling related but over the last 3 months I've lost (at least) 4kg - not massive amounts but a start. And I guess the more I lose the easier the cycling will become. Slightly happier bunny...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...