UKC

arc'teryx jackets advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
fxceltic 15 Aug 2006
ive just been bought an arc'teryx sidewinder sv jacket for my birthday, which is wicked obviously.
However, its too big and i need to change it.

Looking at the design, it strikes me as more of a ski jacket, can anyone recommend other arc'teryx jackets for mountaineering use only?

has to be hardshell, suitable for scottish winter, alpine, ice, type activities. I prefer a shorter cut as well.

I want reinforced elbows, and arms, as otherwise they get f*cked when climbing
cheers
In reply to fxceltic: patagonia mixmaster or readymix or arc'terx gamma hoody.
 Wilbur 15 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic:

eVENT job from montane or RAB

Powershield (gamma hoody as mentioned above)

Macpac do a powershield jacket (the stealth??) for about £100 less than the gamma mx hoody...
fxceltic 15 Aug 2006
In reply to Wilbur: i already have a soft shell, want a hard
 carnie 15 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic: Agree with the previous post try the Montane Super XT, great jacket, great material has the reinforcements that you want and is avalable on sale from loads of places at the moment.

PS Yes the sidewinder is more ski orientated
 carnie 15 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic: Sorry that should have read Montane Superfly XT.
 ste_d 15 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic: haven't used them but if you want arcteryx hardshell, you need something like the alpha sv, or fission sv, or alpha sl or some such...oh yes and a small loan
In reply to fxceltic: take lots of cash
lippy lion 15 Aug 2006

In reply to fxceltic:

I've got the Alpha SV which is excellent, but if I were to buy another it would be the Alpha LT.

Peace, Lippy

mo 16 Aug 2006
In reply to lippy lion: i've got the beta lt which i'am really pleased with, reasonably lite but also enforced elbows and shoulders.
fearlessfox 16 Aug 2006
In reply to lippy lion: cheers, why the LT?
 Merlin 16 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic: I've got a theata AR, which is great (the arc'teryx website will let you know what the letters after the name mean, but the main three for shell jackets are LT (light weight), AR (alround), and SV (severe weather).

My theata AR has been scuffed from climbing and ripped after an ice axe went through it. Its still useable thought, so after carefull reflection I wouldn't bother with the LT models, which are Gtx paclite, or a mix of paclite and XCR.

You could probably get away with one if you are a "most of the time" softshell user, but in Britain, with our wonderfull weather, you find your self pulling the shell out of the pack more often than not. So with the weather and climbing, the jackets got to take a battering. I'd go for the AR or the SV models, there is not alot between them, although the SV's design seems slightly better, although more expensive.

If you buy from an american ebayer you can pick one up for 200 squid brand new.

Hope the advice helps. All the best.
 GrahamD 17 Aug 2006
In reply to fxceltic:

Just as an aside, how on earth did you manage to commit that much money to the WRONG jacket in the WRONG size ? you must have won the lottery, at a guess.
lippy lion 17 Aug 2006

In reply to GrahamD:

I think it was bought for him by someone else

Peace

GrahamD 17 Aug 2006
In reply to lippy lion:

Someone else has won the lottery !
lippy lion 19 Aug 2006

In reply to fearlessfox:
> (In reply to lippy lion) cheers, why the LT?

I suppose cos it's lighter & still XCR material & a little more close fitting. Don't know if it's reinforced on the elbows though.

Peace, lippy

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...