UKC

NZ Tramping, Suitable footwear choices?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
moomin 25 Aug 2006
Who know's which forum.. could be gear.. could be destinations..

Anyway - t'other half and I are going to get hitched in NZ early next year (March. mainly). We'll be doing some tramping, but probably more walky tramping (We have the Queen Charlotte track, and the Tongariro crossing in mind).

Bearing in mind NZ is famous for rain.. I was debating whether it would be better to take the fast/light/quick drying approach with a pair of approach/trail shoes, or go for the more traditional approach with my sturdy leather boots.

I know it's a long time away, but hoping to pick up some bargins in the sales!

Cheers.
 Daniel Duerden 25 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin:

not done the Charlotte track, but you could probably get away with flip flops on the Tongariro crossing - it is incredibly popular and hence has a well kept track. Really you should get yourself on some of the more 'out-there' tramps. There is a Lonely Planet guide to tramping in New Zealand which is very good - it also covers those mentioned above. I would recommend sturdy boots, even though they won't stay dry for long, a proper New Zealand tramp is a damn site harder than any walk you'll do in Europe!

have fun.

D
In reply to moomin:

March time the weather will probably pretty nice and not too wet. The Queen Charlotte and Tongariro will both be pretty busy as it will be the height of the tourist season.. bad choices if you want solitude.
I didnt do the queen charlotte but have heard good things (pop into paynes ford for some climbing, about 1hr west just outside of Takaka, near motueka). The tongariro crossing is definatly something different if not mega exciting, but raved about by alot of people. But the best and most popular walk in NZ is the Milford track. Do a google for more info, you will have to book onto it in advance though. The rob roy track near wanaka / mount aspiring would be a good option if you want a sense of solitude.
So yeah, shoes... you'll be fine in approach shoes.

Enjoy! Its an amazing country, mail me if you want any more info, or google.
 Panda 25 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: There's some amazing stuff to be done out there. Spent 6 months doing as much of it as possible last year, so feel free to give me a shout if you want any pointers (me and weeman may be able to cover the lot!). I only had hiking boots, but there were fine for most. some of the more popular ones could be done in approach shoe-types. Tongariro - great hike - the 4 day circuit is better cause quieter. If you wanna go up Ngaurahoe ('Mt Doom' in LOTR) you'd want more esp. for scree run down!!).

Lucky lucky you. I'll be living there one day.... top place.
gbuchanan 25 Aug 2006
In reply to Daniel Duerden:
I certainly wouldn't suggest even thinking about doing the Tongariro in flip-flops; well-maintained it may be, but there is plenty of scree at different points!

Though you can do quite a few of the more used walks in good quality approach shoes, if the conditions are dry enough, I'd normally suggest decent boots to be on the safe side. If nothing else, they're more supportive on rougher terrain, and defensive when tree roots are bulging all over the place.
kiwimade 26 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin:
Go boots, even on the easy tracks, because if it rains you'll still have reasonably dried feet. If your trying to pack in as much walking time as possible your definitely going to hit a couple patchs of rain and if done in 'approach' shoes they'll be saturated.
 TobyA 26 Aug 2006
> a proper New Zealand tramp is a damn site harder than any walk you'll do in Europe!

That's a good UKC ridiculously sweeping statement.
 nz Cragrat 26 Aug 2006
Most of the main "walks" are often run so you decide what is suitable - personally unless there was a heap of snow around I would go for approach shoes or a very light Goretex boot.

On average, are NZ Dads any harder than their Euro counterparts, and if not, how many uncles would it take to back them up in a fight over whose walks are more 'hard core'?

Davie
sam the man 26 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: There's a kind of widely and loudly spoken agreement amoungst New zealanders that their tramps are much more hardcore than anyone elses. The popular ones are well maintained paths better than most in britain, &well signed, so you can go really fast and light. For that trainers would be fine, as one other poster said they are often run. the harder tramps are pretty hardcore, very wet, in densde bush with no actual tracks, tho i didnt do any of those!(I wonder why!). Some leather boots would see you right for any of the tracks-so that is what I would reccommend-it can get very wet in NZ!
Have a great time,
Sam
sam the man 26 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: There's a kind of widely and loudly spoken agreement amoungst New zealanders that their tramps are much more hardcore than anyone elses. The popular ones are well maintained paths better than most in britain, &well signed, so you can go really fast and light. For that trainers would be fine, as one other poster said they are often run. the harder tramps are pretty hardcore, very wet, in densde bush with no actual tracks, tho i didnt do any of those!(I wonder why!). Some leather boots would see you right for any of the tracks-so that is what I would reccommend-it can get very wet in NZ!PLus, huts in nz are great, somewhere between a posh bothy and alpine hut, so often have a wood burner, beds etc. this makes them warm& cosy and so drying booots is pretty easy.
Have a great time,
Sam
Dr.Strangeglove 26 Aug 2006
In reply to sam the man:
all the kiwi's i have met seem to have a "never leave the trail"
mantra. clearly a good idea in dense bush, but as a consequence they
have jack all nav skills.
In reply to sam the man:

>the harder tramps are pretty hardcore, very wet, in densde bush

There's quite a few of them kicking around the Oakshaw bit of Paisley. Some of them absolutely soaked. I'd like to see this argument settled with a 'Tramp Off' sometime soon. Paisley Tramps vs. Allcomers.

Davie
sam the man 28 Aug 2006
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: Good idea, thogh in my opinion anyone who wears shorts over long johns is a muppet and a gay, so they lose straight off. I think their tramping is harder cos no one else in the world goes tramping-we walk, and wherever we damn well please...
Sam
mzuri_2 28 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: Go boots. Doesn't matter if they're leather or lightweight. Doesn't really matter if they're gortex lined either - you'll probably end up filling them up through the top. Andy
 jam 29 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin:

Not sure what you're worried about- unless you are wading into rivers, a good pair of waterproof boots and *gaiters* should keep your feet dry for many days.
 AdrianC 29 Aug 2006
In reply to jam: Erm - not sure of you're being funny but wading into rivers is precisely what you are likely to be doing if you're tramping in NZ. Wear boots. Get wet feet - it doesn't matter.
moomin 29 Aug 2006
In reply to all:

Wow - you go away for the weekend, and look what happens.
Thanks for the advice, everyone.

Jam - yes, I've heard that river wading seems to be a feature of NZ tramping, whether it's intentional or not.. (heavy rain, rapid river rises).. hence the question in the first place.

Yes, I know the Tongariro is the equivalent of going up Snowdon, but there's still something about it that appeals to me.

Milford - much as we'd like to get down to the lakes, I don't think our schedule will allow it. I also think it's the least likely place we're likely to find peace and solitude in NZ!

We'd chosen the Queen Charlotte for two reasons - a) the water taxis take your bags, and b) you get to stay in hostels along the way, rather than bunk huts. Call me a wuss if you like, but at the end of the day this is our Honeymoon as well, and spending it with 50 strangers in a bunk bed wasn't really what I had in mind...
 wiwwim 30 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: southern circuit stewart island, quietude at its best, unless you find mud noisy.do it!
In reply to wiwwim:

totally agree. probably the most enjoyable tramp i did - 3 days through the bush and with a real remote feel to it. For proper remoteness try the 10 day northern + southern circuit combined. and yeah your right, paths all the way but not as we know it... mud mud and more mud with a few ambles along the beach as you go... but i guess you wont have time for that.

RE not wanting to share a bunk with 50 strangers, the huts along the Queen Charlotte will still be pretty busy in march. There are equally good walks to do, particularly around the queenstown / wanaka region and still serviced by huts (no full time warden though, just you and a couple of others)

What ever you do, you'll still have an awesome time.
 toad 30 Aug 2006
In reply to moomin: I did one of the "great walks" (the Kepler) and wished I hadn't. groomed to within an inch of its life and no real opportunity for variation. Noticed no kiwis either. Later told that none of the locals would be seen dead on a "great walk" but that they all have their own epic route from hut to hut - I did a bit of exploratory tramping round Arthurs Pass and Wanaka later and they were right!

In answer to your original question - boots and gaiters!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...