UKC

Peru Huascaran - trip ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
zak 02 Sep 2006
Just planning next summer's adventures. Looking for info and advice about Huascaran trip. Has anyone been with either jagged globe or adventure peaks? Are there any other companies who lead this particular trip? What about planning it myself, easy or not? Any suggestions of intineries, photos or local guides etc? thanks Zak
 nz Cragrat 02 Sep 2006
In reply to zak:

Do it yourself. I found climbing in Peru like climbing in NZ just a little higher.
 Taff 05 Sep 2006
In reply to zak: try www.focussoftware.co.uk/peru03 planning on going there aswell.
gregor_russell 05 Sep 2006
In reply to zak:

check out andes, small company run from castle douglas in scotland, run by john biggar, who wrote the book (literally) on andean mountaineering. was on one of his trips in the cordillera huayhuash year before last, very well run.

google his name and it will take you to his site.

from what i remember him saying though, huascaran is getting harder to climb because of poor snowfalls, and some years may be impossible by the normal route.

that part of the andes is amazing; and if you have time it is worth a visit to the arequipa area too, totally different to the ranges in the north, high desert and 6000m volcanoes. there is a 5 day trek though the colca canyon (see lonely planet trekking in central andes book) which has to be one of the best treks anywhere in the world; we used a local guiding firm in arequipa, zarate aventuras, though speaking some spanish would be necessary

hope you get something organised, it is a stunning country...

gregor
PJH 06 Sep 2006
In reply to gregor_russell:
Would second your recommendation that Zak check out John Biggar & Andes. As the company name suggests, they only do South America. I have been on two trips with them in recent years, although not to Huascaran, and found them very good. They keep to a max of six clients per trip + a leader so you avoid the big group feel.
At the very least, it would probably be worth looking at the Andes website and, if you decide on your own trip, getting hold of a copy of the latest edition of Biggar's book 'The Andes - A Guide for Climbers' which includes three pages on climbing Huascaran.
zak 09 Sep 2006
In reply to zak: thanks guys some really helpful info there Zak
PJH 09 Sep 2006
In reply to zak:
Just in case you don't know this site, some more useful info, pics, etc, about Huascaran on here:
www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150254/huascaran-sur.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...