UKC

Wasdale Scafell area

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 teddy_simmon 28 Sep 2006
hi there looking to do some rock climbing in that area ie green gable great gable etc will probably camp at the nt campsite in wasdlae any advice any easy multi pitch vs top end really
Also considering saint sunaday crag and doing pinnacvles scramble how hard is it compared with striding edge hellveleyn thanks

Matt
 Andy S 28 Sep 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon: get the FRCC guidebook for good routes, sorry I only done two routes at Great Gable, one was HVS, Crocodile Crack (good climb with a hairy bit in the middle) and the VD scramble at night, can't remember the name.

Did an unknown route at Green Gable - just picked a line which turned out to be far too easy.

You could do what has become my fairly standard Wasdale mission - on-route to Pillar in the evening, bivi at that saddle (Black something I think) and then walk round to pillar in the morning and do a route and walk out to finish at the pub.

Once of the most hilarious times I've had was getting wrecked in the pub in Wasdale and then walking up to the bivi site at about midnight, hammered. A mate caught a lamb on the way up (don't ask). I had a stonking hangover the next morning which mysteriously vanished by the time we got to Pillar.
 BenTiffin 28 Sep 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon: Realistically buy the FRCC Lakes general guide (not the Eskdale, Wasdale ... or Gable + Pillar).

Crags worth a visit are Napes, Pillar, Scafell Crag, East Buttress for classic routes.

Pinnacle Ridge gets Mod in one of the climbing guides and grade 3 in the scrambles guide - One of my dogs did it in the rucsac. Striding Edge gets grade 1 - its much easier.

Ben
 big 02 Oct 2006
In reply to BenTiffin: A grand route on Great Gable is Innominate Crack, at VS.
It's only one pitch, but it's huge fun and very well protected. Then you could walk up to the Needle and have a play with that...
toadwork 02 Oct 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon: grooved arete on pikes Crag (VD)is nice and finishes on a proper detached peak, with a scramble down and a very short walk to the summit

Moss Ghyll grooves on Scafell crag is good too (VS/MVS/HS depending on guidebook). Last pitch was also wet when I did it, which might be a problem this time of year.
 Horse 02 Oct 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon:

Possibly not the best time of year for the higher crags but some suggestions.

On Gable Try Kern Knotts crag do the eponymous crack and then Innominate. Round the back is on Gable Crag is Engineers Slab which is well worth the walk although it maybe cold damp this time of year being north facing.

You can also go to the crags of Scafell where there are more VS climbs than you can shake a stick at.

If the weather is unfavourable then take a look a the lower level crags such as Buckbarrow or the ones in Eskdale.
 jas wood 02 Oct 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon:
weather permitting i suggest tophet wall (gable) and botterills slab (scafell). now there is a good combo to get you started me awld trout.
jas
 nastyned 02 Oct 2006
In reply to teddy_simmon: Eagles Nest Ridge Direct at MVS on the napes is very good.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...