UKC

Scottish stockists of these bad boys ??

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
fra5911 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: Try contacting Tiso, they are proboably your best bet, they may be able to get them in for you.
Geoffrey Michaels 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie:

No I haven't but I am up for climbing this year, are you?
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Donald M:

Was planning on getting them for posing in the Clachaig with !

Sarcasm - yes i'll be up for plently of climbing
 AlH 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie:
Nope but I did see some the rep had. We should have them in the Ice Factor this winter but my shop manager is off today so cant ask when.

Al
Yiman 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: Try www.climbers-shop.com. Not in Scotland but they do 24 hr delivery
 rusty_nails 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie:

My mate who works for Tiso was down in Wales a few weeks ago testing all the new gear that Tiso will stock next year, and i'm 99% sure that these were included in the range of gear he tested.

He did however comment on Sportivas new technical clmbing shoe, which he says is like wearing a slipper. Sounds good (and looks it to!)
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Yiman:

Didn't think i would have to explain why i wanted a shop in scotland but here goes :

If i'm shelling out over 200 bar for a pair of boots i would like to check they fit first, and try a few pairs on.

Thanks though (i've noted a few of the online English shops have them)
In reply to Burnsie:

They look too cold, has Andy not got a pair (older model), he found them a little cold, not snow proof?

Stuart
In reply to Burnsie:

They look rather incredibly shit hot...

I will have to steal them from you if you do buy them as you appear to be a 42 from the other thread. Do you run quickly in stock soles?

Andy
 Gav M 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie:

I think they have them in the shop in braemar that hires out bikes.
keith_D 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: Damn they are sexy. I would love to sniff a pair fresh from the box.
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Stuart the postie:

Andy recons they might be a good alternative to the XTs
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
In reply to the real dr gav:

Cheers : I'll maybe give them a bell.

In reply mylo: yes i'm a 8
In reply to Burnsie: are they water/weather proof enough for full on scotland? i know they have gore tex and all that shite, but well proofed nepals are going to be more water proof/breathable. the gore tex on this boot will make them very sweaty and to keep you feet dry, while bog trotting you'll probs need a yeti gaiter.

To quaote andy k: on boot materails:

THEY KEEP THE WATER OUT
Having wet feet isn’t conducive to an enjoyable mountain day. First of all wet feet are cold feet, and although you’d be unlucky to suffer frostbite in the UK, you may experience a great deal of pain standing around on cold belays. Secondly wet feet are more prone to blisters and other foot nastiness. If you’re boots are soaked at the end of the day then can often be a battle to get them dry unless you’ve got access to a drying room – not an option if you’re camping, sleeping in your car or dosing in a toilet. Dry boots mean uppers that are designed for full mountain conditions (slush, rain, rivers and bogs), not mincing around Cogne with a baguette under your arm. Most lightweight boots are more like rock boots these days, and are only meant to be snow proof; often using lighter synthetic alternatives to leather that don’t remain waterproof for the life of the boot. A full winter mountain boot should have a substantial upper of full grain leather, heavy weight synthetic laminate, or good old plastic. This should be backed up with a good solid rand which when combined with a gaiter should cover 80% of the boot. Boots that feature a breathable membrane add an extra waterproof backup to saturated or tired leather – juts don’t expect them to breath! Keep you’re leather healthy and waterproof by regularly applying a good quality wax. My personal favourite is Scarpa HS-12 which seem to give excellent longevity.

check out: http://www.psychovertical.com/?scottishwinterclothingandequipment

and

http://www.planetfear.com/article_detail.asp?a_id=273

would you not be better of with straight nepals extremes/plastics?
In reply to Burnsie:

Just watch, Tiso's like to charge you up front for ordering things in, even just to try on. Well that was the score in days of yore...
Tom Ripley- of course these boots will be waterproof enough for Scotland, being Goretex lined. Yeti gaiters are overkill. The main issue will be the hot aches for the Cap'n Burnseye.

Davie
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: have you used gore lined boots? i have. they are very sweatty. did you read the andy k article? he knows a great deal more on the subject than you (or me).
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide:

Whateva!
In reply to Burnsie: lol. have you read it? both articles are very interesting if your in the market for boots.

Yes I have owned 3 pairs of Gore- lined boots and trainers. They have been ok, but I don't have particularly sweaty feet. If you don't fall knee deep into peat bogs your feet should stay reasonably dry in Winter boots. Yeti gaiters are overkill IMO.
Andy Kirkpatrick knows his stuff, and I enjoy his reviews/ site.
There's no harm in having opinions of your own Tom!

Davie
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: i do have my own opinons. leather and plastic is best if you want real weather protection/durability. i know two people with trango s evo's, and they have worn increadibley quickly because of the light materails.

burnsie, may tihnk his new light boots are great, for a couple of years until they wear out (gore is only garentteed for 1000 miles), when he could still be useing nepal extremes in ten years time.

just my 2p.
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006

Cheers for the links, i'll have a read. I've been through a few boots - supersofts -> vegas -> supermountian guides. Looking for something lightweight but stiff for the mixed. so XTs or these boys are looking good.
In reply to Burnsie: i would be amazed if the weight of your boots will hold you back? you footwork/crampons might though. the walking fit is the most important, followed by the climbing fit. i'm in a similar position to you atm, my boots don't fit.

providing that they fit i wll get scarpa omegas for scottish winter and trang s evo for summer alpine.
OP Burnsie 04 Oct 2006

In ten years time boot technology will have come on a fair bit .......

I also know someone who has been through 4 pairs of nepal tops in a season. Swings and roundabouts horses for courses etc etc
In reply to Burnsie: fair ponit.

how do yu go through 4 pairs of nepal in a season? wouldn't think this was possible, even for a guide.

Bruce Goodland (the lcimber gear columist and guide): said his nepal tops lasted 10 years of guiding, with just one resole.

The old ones used to fall to bits at the front. Believe us, we do not speak with forked tongue.

Davie
wcdave 04 Oct 2006
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: Stick in there Tom...
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: i'm not disbeliving you. i just thought they were really solid bits of kit. i have never heard of a durability problem before. i was refering to the extremes anyway! i'm clearly fighting a loosing battle!
 beermonkey 04 Oct 2006

Ummm, aren't you the guy who keeps asking people what gear he needs for routes? Inc. orion direct? Not that I think you're being a hypocrit at all...
OP Burnsie 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie:

Anyone ? - Central Scotland would be easier but if not it looks like a trip to braemar for me.
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

> Cap'n Burnseye.

Does Burnsie eat a lot of curry then?

Andt
OP Burnsie 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Mac Ghille Aindrais:

Bump.

Still really keen to try a pair of these on so i can decide beteeen these or the XT's. naebdy seen them in the shops yet ?

Curry : WTF are you on about Mylo ?
 Erik B 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: have you tried the Omegas? if they fit they are the ultimate scottish boot i reckon.

the la sportivas look more suited to dry alpine conditions, andy k makes a good point about the rand, the boots your thinking of dont seem to have much of one? i would imagine scree would trash them in no time? also, i would be concerned about how much ankle support they have, if your miles from the road on a remote crag the last thing you want is to snap your ankle falling down a snow covered hole, the nepals where excellent in this department, maybe la sportiva have continued this good work with that boot your after.

im on the the hunt for a new boot as well, let me know how you get on.
 Erik B 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Tom Ripley Mountain Guide: ive only had one pair of nepal extremes in the last 6 seasons and they are finally on their last legs beacause i didnt resole them and its now too late, the uppers are still bomb proof which is a shame. having climbed with the loons in question it is more to do with their lack of finnesse walking on rough ground than boot construction, they are born and bred weegie urbanites you see
 TobyA 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: Burnsie - I bought the yellow ones which are virtually the same except for minus the thinsulate or whatever it is - these anyways: http://www.sportiva.com/products/prod/278

I bought them in a sping sale from an internet shop, thinking that because I have size 42 Nepal Extremes and size 42 Trango Ss, I didn't need to try them on. The fit is very different from the Nepals and Trango Ss - in a not good way for me. I decided not to send them back and hope that with a bit of wearing in the slight pressure spots will break in and they will become as comfy as my beloved Nepals. Of course it maybe that they will remain weird feeling. I hardly have to walk anywhere to climb in Finland, so I'm not too worried about blister or anything. I'm much more worried about the the tight spots leading to cold feet and worse. When the car is five minute away you'd have to be silly to get frostbite, but I know people who have managed it! Anyways - your decision to try first I think is the right one, even if you've had good experiences with Sportiva in the past.

Having said all that, they don't half look trick. I'll report back in month or two when the ice gets here.
 TobyA 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Erik B:

> the la sportivas look more suited to dry alpine conditions, andy k makes a good point about the rand, the boots your thinking of dont seem to have much of one? i would imagine scree would trash them in no time?

I've got mine sitting on my lap here and the rubber looks pretty chunky around the front and comes over the toe more than the Nepals. The look and feel really sturdy overall - but like I said in the other post I haven't got to use mine yet.

My Trango Ss which are much lighter have stood up well to some decent bashing over rocky walk-ins and scrambles on big mountains
 Erik B 12 Oct 2006
In reply to TobyA: they sound good, in what way are they a different fit from the nepals?
In reply to Erik B: but, agian are they going to be durable and weatherproof enough for use in full on scottish bogs and screa, without resorting to a yeti gaiter.

omegas look the best. i'll go and try some on.
 TobyA 12 Oct 2006
In reply to Erik B: hard to describe: narrower heel, bit tighter across the ball of my foot. I think they are more of offset or whatever its called - bent, like modern crampons. My terminators fit nicely on them!
 Jon Cox 13 Oct 2006
In reply to Burnsie: Tiso's do stock these boots. They have them in the Rose Street, Edinburgh branch at the moment.

Jon

If I was you I'd buy some Omegas and then get a cobbler to somehow fashion a set of fishing waders onto the tops of the boots, or maybe a diver's dry suit might be the another idea (it's the ultimate softshell).

Davie

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...