UKC

soft shell trousers

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Si dH 05 Oct 2006
I need something water-resistant enough for scottish winter and the alps (assuming Im also wearing decent gaiters when necessary), warm enough for the same purpose and also for winter cragging, and somethign thats also as light and un-bulky as possible. A trouser version of my Rab Vapour Rise would be ideal I reckon, although they would also need stretchy panels in appropriate places so I can climb hard in them, and decent (preferably full-length) side zips so I can put them on over boots and maybe even crampons.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Si
 JB 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

There is a trouser version of the vapour rise going but has no zips. I love the top but tried them on but they actually felt quite baggy (unlike the top) and I think they would flap around a fair bit and annoy. So I didn't buy.
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to JB:
I guess thinking about it, if they were that sort of thing and warm enough to wear without other trousers underneath (in the past ive just ahd thin hardshells) thne Id always have them on before boots etc anyway, so zips not important.

Can anyoen recommend some soft-shell pants that are warm as well as wind/water resistant, ie not just a shell?

Cheers
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:
(ie apart from vapour rise whch are one option, if I can find them anywhere...)
 JB 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Cotswold near me have quite a few pairs so they may stock them if there is a store near you
 nniff 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

The Mummut stuff should do - base jump or champ. there are loads of others too, but the fit can be peculiar - best to try them on. Having said that, the mammut stuff seems to be more 'normal' in cut.

vscott 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: macpac mission pants see
http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=17&t=152&p=2603&sid=c29...
are along these lines- about the only thing out there that comes close to the awesome patagucci mixmaster pants
 Wilbur 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

get Schoeller

the rab ones aren't stretcy enough for me for climbing

Mammut do Schoeller trousers (base jump or champ as someone above mentioned). I have the champs and they are brill - keep you warm but they breather really well. break the wind and are water resistant - and v stretchy
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to vscott:
do those have a linign that makes them warm enough to wear on their own, or are they just a thin shell? I assuem the schoeller ones are ok on their own.
Cheers
 Wilbur 05 Oct 2006
In reply to vscott:
> (In reply to Si dH) macpac mission pants see
> http://www.rockrun.com/shop/prod.html?d=17&t=152&p=2603&sid=c29...
> are along these lines- about the only thing out there that comes close to the awesome patagucci mixmaster pants

or also gamma mx pants by arcteryx - also made from Powershield

Wilbur 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

schoeller or powershield fine on it's own..
Max Gough 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

I've worn Mammut Champ pants without anything underneath (apart from shreds obviously!) in Scottish winter, January icefall climbing in the Alps, and on the summit of Mont Blanc in a gale, without being excessively cold. There are times when I'd have appreciated a baselayer (like at belays), but assuming you keep moving you'll probably be OK. The cut is snug but not tight anyway, so you'd get a Powerstretch or similar layer underneath with no probs. I've also worn them walking in and out of routes in 30°+ heat without being excessively warm, as they breathe so well. An all round top piece of kit.
 Adders 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: can't remember exact name but marmot somethings ive got are ace.
can wear base layers underneath if really cold and can use more than say my 2nd choice of vapour rise rabs.( as can wear them when not cold and won't bake alive.)
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Max Gough:
I like the look of the Mammut ones. Can someone tell me the difference between the Champs and the Base Jumps? The BJs are £18 cheaper rrp, and arent on the Mammu website so cant find enough info about them

Cheers
Max Gough 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Basejumps are lighter - more of a summer trouser and definitely not as warm. Great for summer alpine and general three season use though (my climbing partner and my girlfriend both wear them).
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Max Gough: ok cheers - will go for the champs since I want the mto be warm enough for scottish winter and toastie for winter rock.
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Wilbur:

I can only find one place sells them and its in south wales (upandunder). Anyone know anywhere else - where did you guys all get yours?
 Wilbur 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Up and Under on the web!

they do loads of diff sizes - maybe ring them?
 martin riddell 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:
> (In reply to Wilbur)
>
> I can only find one place sells them and its in south wales (upandunder).

go on, give us teh link - would be interested in a pair of these as well - can't find any retailers doing soft shell trousers in scotland at all
OP Si dH 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Wilbur: yer ut id like to try them on really, and upandunder dont show all the different sizes which other sites suggest are available, they only show s, m, l etc.

martin - www.upandunder.co.uk. If youve never used them before, theyre really good for winter stuff (axes etc are often cheaper than elsewhere) and really fast altho they do charge a bit of postage. Unfortunately though theyre either cardiff or swansea based I think.
Max Gough 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Peglers stock them: www.peglers.co.uk 01903 884684. Dave had to order mine in but was spot on with the size, and I'm sure they stock them in most common sizes. They're right down near the south coast though which isn't going to suit you.
 nniff 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

peglers - give them a waist and inside leg and they'll get the right size for you - they come in three leg lengths per waist size.....
jon_nz 05 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: Have been using Macpac mission pants for the past ~3 years. Haven't seen em round recently- mine are almost worn out and getting a bit draughtly so don't keep the rain out so well any more. My normal partner has the Basejumps and swears by em. Except for the nastiest days both worn with only normal u/w and no shell over the top. I feel the cold more than him and the Misson pants are definitely a warmer material. They are not absolutely windproof all around so still breath enough.
paulsimps 10 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH: Patagonia guide pants or the heavier super guide pants are ideal for what your thread is about, try www.themountainfactor.com for both types. They give good customer service and will do their best to get them quickly if out of stock as they are a Patagonia proshop.
Anonymous 11 Oct 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Mammut Base Jump pants are pretty nice, I'm also a huge fan of Rab VR but reckoned the trousers would be too warm for me. Pair of lightweight long johns under them will work fine in Scotland when it's really cold, had no problems wearing them on their own in the Alps this year

Iain (not signed in)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...