UKC

Crux packs - any good?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 'Hilda' 06 Nov 2006
Need to buy a new (bigger) pack for the winter - as I don't like overfussy or heavy packs I'm thinking of the Crux AK47 or AK57.

Tried on the AK47 at the weekend, which I liked, however, it seemed a bit 'small' for a 47 litre pack.

Does anyone have one of these, and what do you think of them?

Thanks for any advice

Fi
Anonymous 06 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

> Tried on the AK47 at the weekend, which I liked, however, it seemed a bit 'small' for a 47 litre pack.

The AK47 is a bit on the big side for a winter sack, but, personally, I like having a bit of spare room. It's very comfortable to carry, and is very light. You may need to take the frame out when you're climbing as it restricts visibility and you will probably want to put gear loops on it. I'm very happy with mine.

Mark

OP 'Hilda' 06 Nov 2006
In reply to Anonymous:

As I'm planning on using it on longer trips out, I need to fit a tent and sleeping bag in it plus the other usual climbing gear, so I need the size.

Anonymous 06 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

> As I'm planning on using it on longer trips out, I need to fit a tent and sleeping bag in it plus the other usual climbing gear, so I need the size.

In that case it would probably be a good size. The compression straps are long, so you could have a sleeping mat on one side, the tent on the other, and everything else inside. Why not go to the shop with all your kit, and ask to test the size? That way you could see if you need the size up or not.

Mark

Removed User 06 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda': I've used an AK47 in Norway, the Peak, the Lakes & the Alps & it's been great. It might be a little too big for standard ice days though (ie now camping etc).

The construction is very hardwearing & it's incredibly light. You can also modify it slightly with elastic/cord if you wish.

I've had this bag now for 18 months & it's showing no signs of aging. I would definitely recommend it!
 Wibble Wibble 06 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

Looked tatty quite quickly, but proved suprisingly robust in the long run. Very light too. I'd recommend them - I've got the 80 litre one for backpacking trips.
lippy lion 07 Nov 2006

In reply to 'Hilda':

Both great packs. I had an AK47 but sold it & got an AK57. Really happy with it & the guy I sold the 47 to is chuffed as well.

lippy

hamsforlegs 07 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

I bought the old A50 (precursor to the AK range) from the forum.

Apparently it's not as tough as the AK47, but it's coped with plenty of abuse and is always satisfyingly light.

I found it really convenient for winter climbing, as the size (only a touch over the AK47, obviously) meant that packing/unpacking was a doddle. The compression straps and light fabric meant that having it a bit empty is not a problem.

I like the lightweight hip-belt. It's very effective, but I agree that some gear loops would be a good addition.

Mark
almost sane 07 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':
I have the old A50.
I find it more comfortable to carry without the frame.

It is very light and very tough. It has become quite tatty-looking, but there are no signs of wear despite some serious abuse.

I like its big size, light weight, sturdy cary handle for hauling, top compression strap, large side compression straps (ideal for sleeping mat, shovel handle, tent poles, etc).
I dislike the way the rear lid adjustment straps flick me in the face on a very windy day.
Wes 09 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

Superb packs, used a AK47 and really like it. Tough as nails and simple too. The floating lid on the AK57 is handy as well.
 mathquirk 17 Nov 2006
In reply to 'Hilda':

I've got an AK57. Awesomely light, but has suffered in NZ conditions - the bottom fell out of the thing and some of the other stitching blew in unexpected places. Find the waist belt is poorly shaped (maybe I'm too skinny).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...