UKC

Chalk bags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jameshs 21 Nov 2006
I have searched and cant seem to find any results that are useful. I am in need of a chalk bag but i have no idea on which one to go for, i am a beginner (excuse for asking a stupid question) and only climb and boulder indoor. I know its much down to fasion of the bag but what ones really stand out as being good value and that are effective.

I ask this a begineer so please be understanding

Thanks
James
 Skipinder 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs: Does your local wall have a shop? If so they usual offer discounts for members, or there is Alpkit, or any local shops
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs:

In reply to Jameshs:

The best value ones are the 'abandoned' chalk bags the Leeds Wall sell on here occasionally, gives a new home to sad bag and puts a few quid in the Yorkshire Bolt Fund.

Chris
Chris Tan.Clone II 21 Nov 2006
 Skipinder 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Chris Craggs: I'd forgotten that one....oops
 whiting.jp 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs:

In all seriousness, don't get one. At least, put off getting one until you're experienced enough to know both a. If you personally need chalk and b. What you might personally want in a chalk bag.

Just because 99% of climbers seem to own chalk doesn't mean that all climbers need it, and as a beginner you can get away without anyway.
 54ms 21 Nov 2006
In reply to whiting.jp:

I got most of my rack before my chalk bag, it was only a busy day that the foundary that got me to buy it, more to deal with the slightly damp holds from other peoples sweat, rather then my own.
 Craig Geddes 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs: I can make custom chalk bags in any fabric you like at £10 or under if you supply your own fabric. My materials are bought second hand from charity shops so a part of your money goes to a good cause. If you are intrested then feel free to contact me through this site (just click on my name above). I can provide pictures to give you a feel for the quality of the work.
 climbingpixie 21 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs:

If you're feeling adventurous you can always knit your own. They're really fluffy and keep your hands warm on a cold crag.
Jameshs 22 Nov 2006
In reply to whiting.jp: just getting annoyed with damp hands when i am about to climb, i must admit though that even with slightly damp hands i still get good grip
 Reaver2k 22 Nov 2006
In reply to whiting.jp:

Personally I disagree, I chalk up alot,almost a mental safety mechanism sometimes to be fair, but I get VERY sweaty palms when climbing indoors, I wouldn't last long on a route without peeling off from sweat.

Outdoors fair enough, I don't need to chalk up unless its high summer, but I still seem to, but if I realise im doing it and know I don't need to I stop. I take it up with me incase I hit a puddle when pushing myself, but end up using it more than I need to.

In conclusion, I use it too much, but when indoors I need to use it that much.
 whiting.jp 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Reaver2k:
> (In reply to whiting.jp)
>
> Personally I disagree, I chalk up alot,almost a mental safety mechanism sometimes to be fair, but I get VERY sweaty palms when climbing indoors, I wouldn't last long on a route without peeling off from sweat.

I only said not all climbers need chalk, not that no climbers need it.

> In conclusion, I use it too much, but when indoors I need to use it that much.

It's because of the amount of people that 'use it too much' but don't seem to actually think about it much that I reckon people should at least give climbing without a go for a while. If they do need the chalk, fair enough, if not, no point faffing with it.
 crezzer 23 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs: Most walls will only allow balls so get a biggish bag, most standard sized ones don't leave much space for giving the balls a good fumble!
Beal do a "clic-clac" that's big enough and has a fancy closure. Alpkit's bigger bag looks great value for a fiver and is cheap enough for you to discover what type/size of bag is for you.
noah 30 Nov 2006
In reply to Jameshs: i doesn't reaaly matter about a chalk bag, as long as you can fit your hand it in, your away!, my mate picked 2 up for 5 quid before he went deep water soloing, i think there montane ones

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...