UKC

Filthy rucksac

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon1000 29 Jul 2002
It's covered in sh*t and smells! Is it ok to machine wash or would this damage it?

Cheers
Simon
 sutty 29 Jul 2002
In reply to Simon1000:
Look. If you cant use it till it is washed wash it. If anything goes wrong you have lost nothing and if it smells sweet you dont have to buy a new one.

Use a low temperature wash, it will do less potential damage.
In reply to Simon1000:

Try washing in clean warm water first, it'll shift most dirt (including actual shit). I rinse mine under the shower if things spill in it when I go shopping. If that doesn't shift it, bung it in a low temp wash with a normal washing powder. The only bad thing that's likely to happen is that you'll bind detergent to the fabric, buggering any waterproofing - not a great problem, and possible to fix by using a soap-based cleaner such as Nikwax or Grangers washing products, or even Lux flakes. Re-proof with Fabsil or equivalent, since you're not concerned about breathability.
Rick 30 Jul 2002
In reply to Simon1000: or if too lazy to hand wash run a high temp wash cycle with the machine empty to clean out any soap, conditioner etc then do a wash with the bag in - on the lowest temp, delicate, no spin cycle. Then waterproof. If this doesn't work then sod it and go for the soap option.
Martin Brierley 30 Jul 2002
In reply to Simon1000:

I had exactly this problem - I left a carton of milk in my sac, which leaked, and stayed unused for two months.

when I picked up the sac i got an overwhelming sense of "Milky Milky!"

what I did was strip out the frame, bung it in the gentlest wash the machine did - and it came out fine (had to repeat this as it still was milky).

It souldn't affect the waterproofing, but there's no such thing as a waterproof sac anyway right?

tip: make sure that you reinsert the frame the right way round!
H 30 Jul 2002
In reply to Simon1000:

scrubbing brush + hand wash liquid = top result, on bergans that I can almost guarantee were far smellier than yours

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...