UKC

Head torch

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
astragale9 27 Nov 2006
Hi there,
Yet another question on gear !
I’m looking to buy a head torch, and hesitating between Petzl Myo XP, Petzl Myo 5 or Black Diamond Vectra IQ.
Could anyone advise ? It’s mainly for coming back from winter walking in the night, so would have thought I need powerful light, with good battery life too ?
Many thanks for your help !
 2pints 27 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9

Got a Myo 3 and it's brill.

Bulb for walking and LED for close up stuff.

brill
 rallymania 27 Nov 2006
In reply to 2pints:
got a myo 3 as well, i use aa rechargables
oh and BTW if it's actually dark i hardly ever use the bulb, the LEDS are well bright enough IMO
 Skipinder 27 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9: +2 Myo3. Mine is great too.
WillyRose 27 Nov 2006
Which model is it comes with the battery pack you can stick inside your clothing? I'd like a Petzl for my Mera Peak trip early next year.
Regards,
Clive
Removed User 27 Nov 2006
In reply to WillyRose: def the Myo5 can come with a 'belt pack' - good if it's really cold but the battery pack seems quite heavy. Good light tho.
In reply to astragale9: I've got a Myo 5. It's like the Myo 3 but has different settings for LED brightness, although to be honest the brightest setting lasts for so long your batteries won't be running out quickly if you use just LEDs rather than the halogen bulb. The halogen bulb is alright, hugely powerful, but by the time it starts going to any great distance I found you get a tiny spot thats too small to be useful. The LEDs will give you plenty bright enough light; I never bother with the bulb.
 Colin Wells 27 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9:
Might be worth throwing the Princeton Tec Apex into your consideration mix as well - it's highly recommended by night fell runners and cavers.

Some good reviews here, from both US and UK:

http://tinyurl.com/ybyb88

http://tinyurl.com/ydbuqn

http://tinyurl.com/yzrfkn

Col
 Banned User 77 27 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9: I've got the MyoXP, use it for night fell running. Its great with fresh batteries. But the beam reduces after around 10 hrs of use by quite a bit. But with rechargables that is sorted. The diffuser also works very well, creates a nice uniform light and not a concentrated beam.
 Craig Geddes 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9: Myo XP would be my first choice for general hill use. I purchased a Myo Belt 3 while prepping for my ML training as I find the halogen usefull for night time micro nav and would be useful in search and rescue situations should I be working in that kind of enviroment. Have also since found it very good for use on my mtb.
 Simon Caldwell 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9:
Another vote for the Myo XP, the beam is as good as non-LEDs, more than good enough for Alpine starts.
I've heard good things about the new Silva torches (LEDs with a bigger range than a Petzl Zoom), but bad things too (short battery life, and bleeding expensive!).
 Rog Wilko 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9: Just picked up a great LED from B&Q; it was under £5, has up to six leds plus a different bulb (halogen, maybe?). Excellent head straps (not just a band. Switch seems positive, and battery holder is good. Don't waste your cash - Go for it!
 Banned User 77 28 Nov 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell: A guy at the running club had a new silva (S1 I think) LED torch but had a better beam than my XP, but I do like the diffuser.
OP Anonymous 28 Nov 2006
In reply to robert_siddaway:
> (In reply to astragale9) The LEDs will give you plenty bright enough light; I never bother with the bulb.

My only word of caution on that would be that normal LEDs tend not to work in fog, they just create a luminous mist around you, and you then usually need to switch to the halogen.
I assume that the new LEDs, like on the Myo XP, have solved this problem.
I have the Myo 3, and I'm very pleased with it. Interestingly, Mrs Ridge has a cheapo headtorch that has a much more effective halogen bulb in fog than my expensive headtorch.

Ridge
 CurlyStevo 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9:
black diamond head torches look shodely put together to me, look at the plastic.

I went for the tikka xp as it's lighter (as well as the batteries being less and lighter too!) and more compact than the myo. Sure the battery may not last as long in winter using a unit which doesn't have a battery compartment you can place inside your clothing but using nimh batteries I've not noticed a problem, infact the batteries last ages!
 DGY 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9:
I had a Mayo 3 and lost it but got a BD IQ as a replacement. Very little to choose between them. One nice feature the BD has is a green LED that flashes when the light is switched off (uses almost no power) so the headlamp is easy to find at the bottom of your sack or in a dark tent. The LED also chages to red as the batteries fade.
 steveshaking 28 Nov 2006
In reply to astragale9:
I have a Silva L1. Its very good. Battery life is long as it runs on 4 AA battery's, obviously this makes it a little bit heaver. Fade is low as it has control electronics to maintain the beam. It comes with a 4C external battery pack too, so this makes it less expensive then having to add this to the petzl. The beams are very usable, and being able to keep the high beam on is great for running (which you can't on the XP).
Steve
supertrickywoocheese 29 Nov 2006
In reply to steveshaking:
> (In reply to astragale9)
> I have a Silva L1. Its very good. Battery life is long as it runs on 4 AA battery's, obviously this makes it a little bit heaver. Fade is low as it has control electronics to maintain the beam. It comes with a 4C external battery pack too, so this makes it less expensive then having to add this to the petzl. The beams are very usable, and being able to keep the high beam on is great for running (which you can't on the XP).
> Steve

I also have a L1, it is like a lightsabre !!! Very bright & light. Not the usual brand freak option but from a perfomance perspective it is unreal !!!
Also Silva this month are about to launch a new model called the LX5 as you guessed the most powerful headtorch available on the market blasting out 5 Luxeons, until Petzl catch up.

Denni 29 Nov 2006
In reply to supertrickywoocheese:
Was reading this thread as I was going to get a BD spot which is apparently very good.
Just looked up the L1, bloody expensive for a torch!
 Simon Caldwell 29 Nov 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:
> Just looked up the L1, bloody expensive for a torch

It's either worth the money, or we'll be able to get them for half the price in a year or so
 Denni 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
Might go for some of those 5 quid ones from b and q!
 Simon Caldwell 29 Nov 2006
In reply to outdoorbloke:
> Might go for some of those 5 quid ones from b and q!

They're probably fine - but I wouldn't want to risk one as my only source of light on the hill. I used to have a cheapo one, which was great for camp site use, as it didn't matter when it suddenly packed up.
 Martin W 29 Nov 2006
In reply to Simon Caldwell:
> (In reply to outdoorbloke)
> > Just looked up the L1, bloody expensive for a torch
>
> It's either worth the money, or we'll be able to get them for half the price in a year or so

Available 30% off from here: http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/shop/Silva-L1-Headlamp-p-8121.html
andycl 09 Dec 2006
The Silva LX will be launched in January priced £99.95 including a 4.5ah BAttery pack with waist belt and charger included. The head unit is similar to you're L1 with the battery pack stripped off!

85 metre beam and is very impressive.

Andy
almost sane 13 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9:

The alpkit head torch is brilliant. Good light beam. £5.
http://www.alpkit.com/indigo/

For lots of light, if you can hold your torch in your hand, I have yet to see better than http://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/Cat/118242?Ref=124102
£8.
I have had it on continuously for 4 hours with still a reasonable beam of light.
It is ideal for providing lots of light in camp or in a bothy.
 Ian_gozer 14 Dec 2006
In reply to CurlyStevo:

Agree with that, my tikka XP has been great
Removed User 14 Dec 2006
In reply to WillyRose:
Keep a fresh set of batteries for the summit day and you'll be fine with and LED. Assuming you're off by 2 am you'll not need the torch by just before six. We used Tikka's, the batteries lsted all the way to high camp, but we replaced them anyway. Cold affected the camera barreies more, but I just kept it in the trouser pocket and loaded it when I was shooting.
 withey 14 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9:

It's simple. For a lightweight torch get the Tikka XP. If you want to do Night Nav. get the MYO XP.
 Martin W 14 Dec 2006
For those interested in the Myo XP, there's a retailer selling them through a well-known auction site for under £40 including postage. I've just got one from him and it's already proved its worth in fixing a TV aerial in a gale and for running along dark tracks. It is an ounce or two heavier than the Tikka XP but you don't notice it much because the battery pack at the back balances the light at the front. I do feel it makes me look a bit Borg-like though!
 Yyonnx 14 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9:

I picked up the Myobelt XP about 2 months ago and it is fantastic. I love the Myo XP I've used for the last 18 months (great light, long battery life, lite) but for night climbing wanted the battery pack inside my vest. And viola, they introduced the Myobelt XP. Battery pack unclips from the headlamp so if you want to take your helmet/headlamp off, the battery pack stays nice and warm where it is. And it is amazingly lite in weight.

Think it was 65 euro at Aux Vieux Camper.
DexterGranville 14 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9: Petzl Tikka Plus. Excellent torch, battery life fantastic. Best bit of kit i ever bought
 Bob 14 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9:

Check out these threads:

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=3441

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=4205

I was out on the Moel Hebog to Nantlle Ridge last Friday night and used a Myo XP which was fine for walking/jogging/running. Note that in mist it is usually better to hold the torch at waist height to avoid the light getting scattered and reflected in your face.

boB
 Jackt 15 Dec 2006
In reply to astragale9:
BD Spot - its awasome!
 HardenClimber 17 Dec 2006
In reply to Yyonnx:
I'm very pleased with my Myobelt XP. The batteries seem to last well, even in the cold....
Pleasantly surprised at how the cable doesn't get in the way.
It's simple to disconect the battery pack, so no worries about accidental switch on.

(did wonder if it would be useful to have a second battery pack....to carry a second set
dtmbass 17 Dec 2006
In reply to almost sane:

I was thankful for my fiver Alpkit on Ben Narnain this afternoon. Just got below the snowline at about 3.45pm so most of the descent (including the misery of the railway) was in the dark. Fine for emergencies, but if I was planning on being out in the dark I think I'd get something a wee bit stronger/brighter.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...