UKC

Base/Mid layer?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Flicka 01 Dec 2006
Been browsing the old internet and have found a rather nice item (by mistakenly ending up in the mens section of the base layers at The Climbers Shop): Haglofs Bungy Q jacket. The write up said that it could be used as a base layer or as a midlayer, which seems like a cool idea. Are there any other companies that make something similar?
Because otherwise I need a base layer AND a decent fleece. My fleeces are ok and would probably do the warmth trick over an extra warm baselayer hence fleecy baselayer sounded good.
Any info gratefully received!
 A Crook 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

Agin similar to my gloves I like layer more bulky but more options.

thermal/fleece or soft shell if warm/gortex ( belay jecket for cold gullies)
 GrahamD 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

I have something that was billed as a baselayer from the mountain equipment coop (Canadian). Basically polartec 100/lycra. Its too warm just as a baselayer and I always use a helly hensen style thing underneath for flexibility of layering.
 smithy 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

Falke do a nice one, I'll see if I can find a link!

OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to smithy:

The write ups I've found are suspiciously silent on the wicking properties...
 2pints 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:
What about a RAB VR or a Buffallo?

I wear my Rab VR with nothing underneath when there's no-one looking...
 A Crook 01 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:

I'm not a fan of the buffalo thing although other seem to love it

IMHE they are either too hot or too cold.
 2pints 01 Dec 2006
In reply to balti boy:

I don't wear mine much anymore, but I do still swear by my Rab VR.

I guess it'd all depend on how much you want to open a zip all the way down your chest when it gets warm.

If you're a bird, I'd love ot be out with you when you get too warm...
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:

Rab VR looks nice. How bulky is it? Hard to tell from the pics! I'm liking the hood =o) The Haglofs one I saw had a hood aswell.
Can you comfortably wear another fleece over this smock?
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:

Am ideally looking for something close fitting that is like a baselayer but with extra warmth. I'm pretty small on top so size small has to be properly small!
 2pints 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

It's very thin.

It's like, a really thin microfleece layer with a pertex outer.

It's much thinner than a normal fleece.

I've jsut checked your profile and realised that you wearing it as a base and mid layer might not be such a good idea...

However, for 90% of the time I've been out a Rab VR and a helly has been fine.
 Si dH 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:
Vapour Rise isnt ber ybulky at all, its quite thin. ITs warmish but nothing lie as warm as a thick base layer and a fleece.

Having said that, in scottish winter on very easy rotues, where you will be mving almost the whole time, you will be miles too hot in all that. I find a single decent base layer (I have a £10 merino wool one from aldi), or instead two thin base layers, and a then hard shell does me fine.
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints:

Am trying to save money by getting a baselayer/fleece double up thing. Because else I have to splash out on a decent base layer and a microfleece. So sort of looking for a compromise really.
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Yes I have heard of these £10 aldi specials, but when I went to Aldi today they didn't have any! Did get some cheap ski goggles though =o)
 Si dH 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:
They only have them for about one week each year.
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Si dH:

Damn! Obviously missed that week then!
Saw some synthetic ones but that not what I'm after.
 threepeaks 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka: Having been a Haglofs test pilot, for the soft shell jacket a few years ago I can vouch for the quality of thier garnmets. I also have a Haglofs powerstretch top which is superb. The only problem with the system you are talking about is overheating and 'bulkiness'. When you're slogging it out in the mountains you will sweat buckets, then cool down rapidly when you have arrived. When you have a midlayer and fleece on it will restrict your climbing movement. If you are buying you should consider the following systems:

Thin baselayer - HH Lifa top or similar
Fleece - microfleece top - good for climbing in.
Windproof top - Montane windshirt or similar
Belay jacket - thick fleece or whatever or hard shell
You could dispense with the windshirt if you have a windstopper fleece.

My current system is - HH Prowool top - outstanding.
Rab Vapourise or similar.
Belay jacket - TNF redpoint or similar synthetic jacket or hardshell.

I believe that the latter system is much more versatile, lighter but not necessarily cheaper! To be honest I only use fleeces for the pub these days.
 A Crook 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Dave Sarkar:

second the fleece at the pub thing .

can't wait to tyr out my new HH merino wool thermal.
 threepeaks 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka: You don't need to buy the smock, they offer two sorts of jacket VR Trail which is thinner and the VR Climb which is, of course, thicker. You can but the Trail either as a smock or full zip jacket and the Climb is full zip. Expensive but I agree with 2pints, I never wear anything else.
Dave S
 threepeaks 01 Dec 2006
In reply to balti boy: A truly great piece of kit.
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Dave Sarkar:

Great, someone in the know!
So the one I was talking about in the original post, that sells itself as a baselayer or fleece i.e. can be used as a baselayer or as a fleece, have you tried it?
 2pints 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Dave Sarkar:
Ditto

I've got the HH wool/Lifa blended one and it's brill.

Doesn't smell too bad and not too expensive, think I paid about £35 for it, much less than a pure merino wool one.
 smithy 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

They're fantastic for wicking (well, the blokes one is anyway!) I use mine for jits as a warm up top, for riding, walking, and running, and that either on it's own, or with the falke baselayer is by far the best wicking top I own.

threepeaks 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka: I'm afraid I haven't had any involvement with them for the last couple of years so I don't have much exposure to recent stuff. I would be very wary of anything marketing itself as a baselayer and/or fleece as they are contradictory systems! Overheating is key here.
Dave S
 threepeaks 01 Dec 2006
In reply to 2pints: Had mine for ages and haven't washed it yet!
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Dave Sarkar:

Makes sense. Cheers!
 Caralynh 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

Rite, yes, gear is a personal thing, but I DO know you, and I CAN tell you now that YOU will get too cold where you're thinking of going if you get a baselayer that doubles as a midlayer, then just wear your shell over it. Look at all the options, think about how they will work with items you already have, and make a decision. OK it may be the wrong one, but over the years I've experimented with all sorts of stuff before finding the best combination for ME.
OP Flicka 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Caralynr:

I was thinking more of wearing another fleece over base/midlayer. I thought that would be warmer than getting just a baselayer to go with the fleeces I already have.
 Caralynh 01 Dec 2006
In reply to Flicka:

maybe. Best is to go to a good shop with stuff you already have, and literally try it all on together. Try differnet combinations, see what works with what. OK so you can't simulate -20C temps, but you can at least see how much dexterity and movement you have in stuff. I was tempted ages ago by modern systems like pile/pertex, fancy softshell tops, buffalo etc, etc, but after a few mistakes realised it wasn't for me. Others I know swear by them though, so trial and error really IS all you can do.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...