UKC

Icebreaker vs cheaper alternatives

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
NorthernerDownSouth 06 Dec 2006
hey all

noticed a dead thread on here about places to get hold of cheaper alternatives to the merino icebreaker stuff

was wondering if anyone owns both and can do a comparison? Is the cheaper stuff as warm? If i were to go for icebreaker it'd be the bodyfit 260 weight so would be comparing to that

or anyone with the cheaper versions get a label or leaflet saying about warmth properties n giving any figures?

anal i nknow but icebreaker so expensive n me so poor...

cheers
 Flicka 06 Dec 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth:

Look in the clearance section of Facewest and Mountain Warehouse.
Good merino deals on at the moment. =o)
 nastyned 06 Dec 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth: rohan have merino stuff going cheap too.
NorthernerDownSouth 06 Dec 2006

ah but do they work?
stizzy 06 Dec 2006
In reply to NorthernerDownSouth: buy the cheaper, I looked out on the washing line this summer and saw an icebreaker that would fit my 3 year old, my mother in law had kindly put some washing in for us
Jon_83 06 Dec 2006
In reply to stizzy:

Dose any one know how important the washing instructions are on kit?
I always do my best to follow them, but I recently put my icebreaker in the tumble dryer by accident It looks ok and is the correct size, but I was wondering if it could have done anything to the performance. Fried the fibers or something?
 Simon Caldwell 07 Dec 2006
Well my Aldi top works as well as my Hely one.
Supposedly the expensive stuff is sourced from sheep that are housed in luxury and fed on caviar, whereas the cheaper garments are made from sheep that have been starved, beaten, tortured, and shipped to Guantanamo Bay.
 Simon Caldwell 07 Dec 2006
In reply to Jon_83:
> Dose any one know how important the washing instructions are on kit?

My experience:
On cheapo Aldi tops, it's critical.
On expensive Hely, it's not.
 practicalcat 07 Dec 2006
Howies are having their end of line sale in London this weekend - they often have reduced price merino tops going. Check their website for details.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...