UKC

REVIEW: Dosage 4 by Big Up Productions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Michael Ryan 14 Dec 2006
The Dosage Series of climbing films by Josh Lowell's Big Up Productions have generated a good reputation. They are well filmed with quality music, containing plenty of climbing variety and an insight into the lives of some of the world's better climbers. Dosage 4 is no exception featuring five short films showcasing major achievements in the world of trad climbing, big wall, sport climbing and bouldering.

Mike Binks reviews Josh Lowell's latest......

http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=285
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: Pretty much agree with mike on this one. Highlight: El Cap, slight let down: Switzerland (but very slight). The best Dosage yet?
 Rowie B 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com:

Only seen first 3 so far and thought the 1st one was deffo the best.
 IainWhitehouse 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Rowie B: Hey Mike, I've just looked at your profile pic. Has someone air-brushed some pecs onto it?

Hope you're still doing well.

Iain
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Rowie B:

Whilst this review is generally good, it really didn't tell me much more than I already know about the DVD - i.e. what's in it, and who's in it. That much is on the Big-Up website. Apart from the actual mix of Doses on the DVD - which can be seen by looking on the box - why buy this rather than any other DVD full of Sharma and Graham bouldering, or someone doing a hard grit route (that we've seen before on lots of vids)? It it worth, for instance, paying to see Dave Graham climb his 9a+, or is the footage just the same as when he's trying it in the last Dosage video, but without the fall? I know Dreamcatcher is an inspiring line - I read the news reports and saw the pictures, and the trailer - is the seeing the full thing worth £20? I've got 3 vids of Sharma in hueco - what does this one give that others don't etc etc.
 GDes 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Agent Moog: you get to see Caldwell freeing 2 routes on El cap in a day.
OP Michael Ryan 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Agent Moog:

Dosage 4 is worth it for the footage of Tommy Caldwell alone, doing the Nose and Freerider.

Mick
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006
In reply to GDes:
> (In reply to Agent Moog) you get to see Caldwell freeing 2 routes on El cap in a day.

I know - it says on the box, on the website and so on. What I want to know is do I ACTUALLY want to see Caldwell freeing 2 el cap routes in a day. Is it exciting? Does he struggle? is he climbing 5.13 in the pitch black with only a head torch? Or is it like watching someone climb an identical crack for 24 hrs edited into 10 minutes where you can't tell where he is on the wall?
 Tyler 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Agent Moog:

It's very good, the footage of LR on Gaia is brilliant, so much better than any other grit footage you will have seen in terms of clarity etc. I watched it the same day as i watched E11 and to be honest it knocked E11 into a cocked hat. Then again, I've just bought Masters of Stone 3 and 4 (£25 the pair) and each of these knocks E11 (and most other UK vids) into a cocked hat as well and these are old films.
In reply to Agent Moog:
> (In reply to Ged Desforges)
> [...]
>
> I know - it says on the box, on the website and so on. What I want to know is do I ACTUALLY want to see Caldwell freeing 2 el cap routes in a day.

I can't read your mind Agent Moog.

> Is it exciting? Does he struggle?

Yes, yes and more. Very inspiring. Depends what rocks your boat.
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Tyler:

Cheers. Mick why don't you get Tyler to review DVDs? This is more like the stuff a review should have in it.
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006
> (In reply to Agent Moog)
> [...]
>
> I can't read your mind Agent Moog.

?? that's a daft way to think about a review. If for instance this DVD was a Shakespere play, say 12th Night, with Kenneth Branagh in it and I read a review and the review said:

"this is 12th night, the shakespere play. All the usual scenes are in it, with people saying the lines, in particular Kenneth Branagh as one of the characters. The scenery is nice. The play is a very good play, classic Shakespere. I don't know whether you'll like it or not, it depends whether you like 12th Night"

It would be a fairly pointless review. There's lots that can be said about a DVD without needing to be able to read the mind of the reader.
In reply to Agent Moog:

Follow the link in the review......and watch TC on the Great Roof pitch

http://www.alpinist.com/doc/ALP17/great_roof

Then report back.
 Katie Weston 14 Dec 2006
I'm not usually a fan of American made climbing films, them climbing is fine, and then they go and open their mouths, and I need restraining from punching the TV.
I did however really enjoy this film, for me Dreamcatcher was the highlight, just an amazing piece of climbing, and made better by a reasnoble commentry.
I did enjoy the 2 routes in a day on El Cap, Tommy Caldwell came across really well, his climbing partners less so!
Still not the best film of the year for me, that honour has to go to Set in Stone!
 Alex@home 14 Dec 2006

Very good footage but what is that belayer doing?
How does she think all that irritating whining is going to help him?
Much better with the sound off
 GDes 14 Dec 2006
In reply to Agent Moog:
> (In reply to Ged Desforges)
> [...]
>
> I What I want to know is do I ACTUALLY want to see Caldwell freeing 2 el cap routes in a day. Is it exciting?

if it doesnt then you take some pleasing. Its probably one of the greatest free climbing and athletic achievements of our time.
In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com: I did find the encouragement from the camera person for Dave G on one of the problems slightly disturbing. I think it is on the bouldering extras bit.

and the broken leg bit on the out-takes is amusing.

Overall, if you like the previous dosages then you will like this one.
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006
In reply to GDes:
> (In reply to Agent Moog)
> [...]
>
> if it doesnt then you take some pleasing. Its probably one of the greatest free climbing and athletic achievements of our time.

Why bother reviewing it then? And anyway, it's possible to video a great achievement in a boring, uninspiring way - in which case I'd just wait to watch someone elses copy and save £20. The point isn't about the content of the DVD, I was commenting on the review: that a review should do more than state the contents. To which most people so far have once again pointed out the contents. I'm not making a difficult point here.

In reply to Agent Moog:

Agent...what Mike did was fine.

He described the content....not everyone knows what the content is or indeed the very existance of this particular DVD...or the Dosage series. UKC has an audience of many thousands, all aren't clued up to what is available.

Second he said he liked it and said why.

Third we provided links for further information. My goodness, you can even watch a clip from Dosage 4!

And lastly, and you don't get this at all, this an internet forum. This thread, your comments and others, is part of the review. This is something you won't get in a print review - feedback from others who have watched this particular video and others.

Lowell's videos are always top notch....I'd go so far to say that they beautiful and I have got a great deal of pleasure from them. I like watching these top climbers do their stuff, very inspiring. Superbly filmed, great climbing footage, appropriate interviews, wild places and an excellent soundtrack.

Mick
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006

I stand corrected then.
In reply to Agent Moog:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
>
> I stand corrected then.

Oh come on fight back!
Agent Moog 14 Dec 2006

Ok then. If all a review needs to do is put the contents down for people that don't know, link to the trailer, express an opinion, and start a thread to discuss it, why not review all future DVDs like this:

Thread title Dosage 4:

I like this, it's got stuff on I like. Do you? Please comment.

See here for contents and trailer: http://www.bigupproductions.com/

I still think this would be lacking as a review, despite including all the things you say is necessary.

Jenn 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Katie Weston:
> (In reply to Mick Ryan - UKClimbing.com)
> I'm not usually a fan of American made climbing films, them climbing is fine, and then they go and open their mouths, and I need restraining from punching the TV.

I am sure that your Northern accent must be rather attractive. Maybe you shouldn't open your mouth.
 Jenn 18 Dec 2006
In reply to Agent Moog:

I agree with you. The film is great, but the review is horrible. What does it tell us that we don't already know.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...