UKC

HB Brass Offsets Available Again

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Timmd 15 Dec 2006
Taken from Rockclimbing.com

DMM Wales

Once we were finished at Misty, we stepped across the aisle to meet with Steve at DMM to talk about their new gear coming up this season.

Although it didn’t come up right away, I finally got the lowdown on the story with the HB Offset fiasco. The short version is that DMM could not produce the stoppers without upping the price by almost 50% per unit. Thus, the former HB employee who actually manufactured the units for HB was given leave by DMM to go ahead and produce them on her own and try to make a go of it. The final end of the story comes when Julian (the employee), signed an exclusive contract with the Yosemite Mountain Shop for distribution of the HB Offset (Hugh still owns the rights). So, there it is- the only place in the world you can buy the HB Offsets is at the YMS…just in case you were wondering!

http://www.yosemitegifts.com/hboffsets.html

Now, on with DMM’s really fun offerings this season! First up is a new standard in lightweight wiregates. DMM’s new wiregate called the Phantom will set the new record for ultra light when it comes out in March- barely registering on the scales at a scant 24g! It is tiny, like the Nano, but I bet folks are going to love it.

DMM’s trend of ultralight stuff continues with their other carabiners- the Shadow, a regular gate carabiner comes in four versions- straight, bent, screwgate, and autolocker. The straight and bent gate versions are only 43g and keylock, making them an attractive carabiner for those not into wiregates.

DMM’s final ultralight offering for next season is a tiny stainless steel belay device called the V-Twin that really looks cool (and was tough to photograph- so shiny!). This is a prototype- the production version will be a bit beefier and with slightly wider slots.

OP Timmd 20 Dec 2006
In reply to Timmdoes anybody know what's happening with the alu offset nuts?
Anonymous 20 Dec 2006
From what I've heard the situation was rather less planned/friendly than that post suggested and the production of the alloy offsets will be delayed while the fallout from that situation resolves itself.

The reason it would have been so much more expensive as a DMM product is that if somebody else makes them and they are only sold in the US there there is no need to the very rigorous and expensive QA testing they would undergo at DMM to be CE marked.
 beardy mike 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous: Either thats a very informed or a very uninformed post... I'm hoping uninformed as the other version implies that the alloys weren't very strong despite being the best nuts to place i've ever had.... I hope they will reappear...
 beardy mike 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous: P.s. I'm half cut so not entirely in my right mind...
OP Timmd 21 Dec 2006
In reply to Anonymous:I guess not all deals or agreements work out. The shop in the link does ship to outside of the USA,which is handy for people over here.
Cheers
Tim

Removed User 21 Dec 2006
In reply to mike kann:
being the best nuts to place i've ever had....

same here! my nut of 1st choice in many circumstances
 harry1969 26 Dec 2006
In reply to Timmd: Er, Tim, yes they do.
 abarro81 27 Dec 2006
In reply to Timmd: how much do people think they would cost to ship? the site doesnt give any idea of cost to ge em over here

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...