UKC

climbing in Peru

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
electerr 01 Jan 2007
Me and a friend r planning a trip to Peru to climb 6000+ meters next July and r trying to decide if we should invest in a pair of hard plastic boots or if we will be able to get by with a leather and gortex style boot. Any tips from someone with more experience in S. America than us?
In reply to electerr: plastic, leather & goretex may cost you your toes
 Squirrel Bill 01 Jan 2007
In reply to electerr: From what I've read. you're better off with plastic with yeti gaiters as well
 RBK 02 Jan 2007
In reply to Squirrel Bill: Agree with that. I wore Scarpa Alphas out there and they weren't really warm enough. People do get away with leathers but loosing your toes isn't worth it! Take proper warm boots and it'll be one less thing to worry about [I'd take Spantiks if I was going again tomorrow].
 pauls911 02 Jan 2007
In reply to electerr: I was out there this summer (their winter) using Spantiks & regular gaiters. I had no problems with cold feet & returned with all toes intact. Buy with blood circulation & thick socks in mind. Great boots imho & great destination for alpine climbing
 pec 07 Jan 2007
In reply to electerr: I've used Scarpa Vegas there up to 6000m and they were ok but I definitely wouldn't use anything less warm.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...