UKC

Berghaus Crag Rucksac! 100% waterproof?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 matt22 03 Jan 2007
Bought a brand new crag, used it all last week in the lakes and glen nevis, got drenched everytime we went out and every time the pack let all the water in. I wasn't a believer to start with so I had a dry sac inside. I dont expect a rucksac to be 100% waterproof, as theres no need. But when its advertised as that. it should be. Anyone else found this or was I just unlucky?
sam the man 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22: Well the thing is the bag does have a gert hole in the top, so unless you carefully folded down the drybag style closure and cliped it shut, and then taped over the hydration hole then obviously no it won't be waterproof. I have one, and the only time water gets in is when i open the bag and it rains in... So I guess you were unlucky-possibly a hole/damage to to the sac somewhere? the material is water proof.
Sam
OP matt22 03 Jan 2007
In reply to sam the man: Thats interesting. The top end was all sealed, might send mine off to berghaus then.But after using I cant eally see the point in it. I was hoping it wouldnt get really heavy and soak in the water and that it would be easy to dry because most of the water would stay out, but that wasn't the case either.
 Barrington 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22:

I started using one last year (after years of using Karrimoor). I was amazed the the thing - it lets water in but not out! I also ended up ditching the back plate thingy & replaced it with a cut down fformat, with makes it much more comfortable. What really hacked me off was that it seemed to be the fabric as much as the seams that were leaking - I can honestly say that it is less waterproof than the 10yr old Alpiniste it replaced. I re-proofed it & it is better but still leaks a bit right down at the base.

You are not alone....
OP matt22 03 Jan 2007
In reply to Barrington: I was also considering taking out the back plate, and i like your idea of replacing it with foam. The problem is the codura fabric is like a sponge, yep the thing is like a bucket, it would make a fantastic water carrying system.
 beermonkey 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22:

The bag isn't meant to be 100% waterproof, however the sealed seams are, check the small print.
OP matt22 03 Jan 2007
In reply to beermonkey: So explain to me the point of having sealed seems then.
Paul F 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22:

I dont' expect anything to be waterproof, these look handy though,

http://www.alpkit.com/gourdon/
 Barrington 03 Jan 2007
In reply to Paul F:
Nor do I, my point in agreeing with the original poster was that this particular sack fell short of what I had come to expect over the years in terms of water resistance when brand new. In other respects I am happy with it (altering the back-plate is probably a personal thing). Having re-proofed it, it is now much better - so how come it was poor to start with?
 beermonkey 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22:

The have a lower profile resulting in less abrasion, are less likely to fail than stitching, are more waterproof than stitching, and now, the most important reason, consumers look at them and go 'ooh' increasing their chance of buying the product, ie a marketing gimmick.
In reply to matt22: In my experience no pack is 100% water proof. To many seams and would cost far to much money. Go Dry sacks and if you really must the geeky rucksack rain sail i mean cover!
Jim
chilirock 03 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22: Definately not waterproof. Doesn't seem any different to any other rucksack to me. The stitching is crap too. Had my first one for three months before one of the buckles for the back adjustment ripped off. Sent it back to Berghaus and got a new one. Exactly the same happened and the haul loop also came away.
 beermonkey 03 Jan 2007
In reply to chilirock:

The moral of the story is don't buy anything from Berghaus as genereally it's pretty crap stuff.
chilirock 03 Jan 2007
In reply to beermonkey: Yeah wont be buying another rucksack from them.
 SWalls 03 Jan 2007
In reply to chilirock: Back adjustment buckle also broke on my bag after a very short time. For a climbing sack it's really not very durable.
Adrian Stokes 21 Jan 2007
In reply to matt22:

Hiya Matt - things these days aren't always what they're suppposed to be. Manufacturers speil contains so much bullshit its not true - literally. I got a quasar tent that got absolutley demolished some years ago camping high level in coire nan lochan, glencoe. Took us 5 hours to dig the tents out of the snow, which were absolutely f*cked. Had a meeting at terra nova and told them the situation and they virtually laughed at us, saying also that we should have double poled the tents. Says in the advertising bumf that they can withstand himalayan storms.... eeeerrm.....maybe.......perhaps... but certainly not the wrath of a scottish winter storm. Wankers. Anyway, sorry to hear about your sack - just remember; manufacturers will tell you anything to get a sale. Best wishes and regards - AdyS

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...