UKC

Ice axe Cassin X-Ice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Jouny 25 Jan 2007
Hallo everybody,
in the near future I would like to buy Ice axe Cassin X-Ice, mainly for icefall and mix climbing and sometimes for dry-tooling. In the page of Cassin ( www.Cassin.it ) this axe is described as very good tool for these using. But, it is realy true??? Please, tell me any experience (good and also bad) about this ice axe or others steel Cassin's products.
Thanks for your help, Hi, Jouny
 Will1 25 Jan 2007
In reply to Jouny: Never seen anybody using them in the UK, don't think you can get them here.
Rob Cordery-cotter did a review in A Frozen World 12 still available from the weird site below.

http://www.drytooling.co.uk/a-frozen-world/a-frozen-world/3.html
 iceland41 25 Jan 2007
In reply to Jouny:

I have used the X-Ice and I they are in my opinion too light. I only used them for ice but I found that I had to nearly chip a hole in the ice and then hook that hole instead of swinging the tools for a placement.
 kairenong 27 Jan 2007
In reply to Jouny: You can get the Cassin X-Ice in this country. I stumbled across them LAST YEAR (bought them in May 2006) here:

http://www.walkhigh.co.uk

This is an odd supplier - they sell older Cassin stuff so I asked if they were planning to stock the X-ice, and surprisingly they already were doing so, but they did not, and still don't have them on the website itself. I suggest you contact them and ask if they still stock them. They were very helpful, gave me sensible advice and were extremely prompt with the delivery.

With regards to the axes themselves, the closest axe that is reasonably easily available if you wish to try swinging them is the Camp Awax (apparently they are designed by the same people and are pretty much the same axe). The Awax is used at the Ice Factor in Kinlochleven and the instructors say they are popular tools.

I am a small, light female with smallish hands and I like them. They are one of the lightest axes on the market and I don't personally find getting a good placement a problem. You need a good wrist flick. My husband thinks that they vibrate a bit more than the DMM axes he uses. If you are a big strong chap you may prefer something with a bit more weight.

It is a completely modular axe - if you wished to, you can change the picks and the handles for others in the X range.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...