UKC

Platypus are crap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Simon Overton 13 Aug 2002
After 3 burst bottles including one in a Cairngorm blizzard and one on a sun soaked day at Gimmer I am sick of Platypus bottles. They delaminate and then leak, the tops burst off etc. Anyone had similar problems? Mine were bought with a lifetime guarantee.
 Chris Fryer 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: I think storing water in unusual creatures is a bad idea anyway.

I have only used Camelbaks before and mine burst when i hit a tree while skiing - doctor reckoned it probably absorbed a lot of the impact, so I'm not complaining.
our rich 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton:

Use the tried and trusted sigg bottle, never herd of them leaking before. Built like brick sh*t houses!
Ian Hill 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: have used the same Platypus bottle (1 litre) for three years or so with no problems whatsoever...

as they've got a lifetime guarantee if you've had any problems why not take it back and get another one...and another one...
Weakboy 13 Aug 2002

I was all ready to stick up for the duck-billed creature and lo, a plastic bottle thread.

They have poisonous spines on their back legs, you know.
 Chris Fryer 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Weakboy: And they lay eggs. Who says God never smoked dope on day 5?
Weakboy 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Ian Hill:

I'm guessing that after having had up to 3 litres of water poured into his sack at various intervals, Simon is bored of the wetness that a platypus assures...
MikeyD 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: I have a 2 litre Platy and have nevey had anyprob despite usually being the last thing rammned into my rucsac. I have to say I would whole heartedly recommend them. If they have the guarantee use it!
Simon Overton 13 Aug 2002
In reply to MikeyD:

Bottle is 2 years old- don't have receipt, can't remember where I got it from.
Weakboy 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Chris Fryer:

Did you know?

Hawks, eagles, owls, crocodiles, water-rats, pythons, goannas, foxes, dogs, and cats make up the predators of the platypus.

For further info:

Duck-Billed Platypus
Ornithorhynchus anatinus
Also Called: Duck-mole

The platypus has a flat, streamlined body. They have a muzzle shaped like the bill of a duck, webbed feet, and a tail like that of a beaver. The bill is not hard like that of a bird. It is actually an elongated muzzle covered with a leathery skin. The bill and feet of a platypus are black while the fur is usually a dark brown color. The platypus also possesses a spur on it hind legs that can be used to inject venom into another creature. In man this usually causes agonizing pain but can be fatal to smaller creatures. The platypus forages for food by diving underwater for up to 1.5 minutes and searching for food. While underwater, it stores any food it finds in cheek pouches. On surfacing, it sorts out what it found and eats it. When searching for food, the platypus is relying solely on its electrically sensitive bill to find food. The bill of a platypus can detect small electrical currents put out by the creatures that it eats. The platypus is a strong swimmer though not very fast. It swims by alternating movements of its front feet only. When out of the water, the webbing folds between its toes. The fur of the platypus is some of the most waterproof in the animal kingdom and the tail is used to store fat.

The platypus eats insect larvae as well as freshwater shrimp, bivalve mollusks, frogs and fish eggs.

The platypus is found in Eastern Australia in freshwater streams and rivers. Platypus live in burrows that they dig along the banks of streams and rivers that they use as a food source.

Hawks, eagles, owls, crocodiles, water-rats, pythons, goannas, foxes, dogs, and cats make up the predators of the platypus.

The platypus is primarily nocturnal. It is also a solitary animal and usually only comes together to mate (although you can often find several animals in the same general area.) During mating season, it is not unusual for male platypuses to become very aggressive. However, the platypus is usually a shy and wary animal.

The platypus is one of only two mammals that do not give birth to live young but lays eggs instead (the other is the echidna.) After birth, the young live on milk provided by the mother. However, the platypus does not have nipples. Instead, glands along the side of the mother secrete milk and the young platypus will lap it up. After six weeks the young have fur and may leave the nest for short periods. They are weaned by five months old.

The platypus has an electro-sensitive bill. They also have excellent senses of sight and hearing.
 chris j 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Friend of mine had one break - sent it back to Seattle (~£1 postage), they sent him a new one, no questions - use the guarantee.
stoney in exile 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Should have used possums instead. Bad luck mate. Never had trouble with mine for 5 years. Hope you didn't have to pay more than once.
Ogre 13 Aug 2002

if its two years old then it is probably out of its lifetime. i've used them for years and find they last about 12-18 months hard use and then replace. they're chaper than camelback bags and much lighter than bottles.

just buy another one.
SornaBob 13 Aug 2002

I'd suggest not buying another one if you're so unhappy with them - try an alternative. However, i'm sure you'll probably get a similar lifespan. I got about 14-15months out of my last one - it had a lot of use. For £12, i think that's pretty good - a few pence for every day used.

No outdoor products are realistically likely to last forever - particularly something made out of plastic. However, they do perform really well during their realistic lifespan.

You would have thought that by your 3rd one, you'd learned to hang on to the receipt.
 Carolyn 13 Aug 2002

What are you doing? Jumping on them?

Mine have been fine - one has delaminated, but not leaked (though I seem to have lost it....). But I have been a Bristol gear shop when the staff were giving the rep a lot of grief about similar problems.

I'd just stick it in the post to Platypus and see what they say.... most decent manufacturers don't really care if you have a receipt or where you bought it....
 LizS 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: : Must say I've had no problems so far tho I've noticed the bottom of mine starting to delaminate, and you have to make sure not to catch the bite valve when putting rucksack on.

Only real problem I've had is putting my rucksack down against something, trapping the bite valve and thereby emptying the contents - not too bad in the open tho does mean your water supply for the day is gone (bugger!), but not a good thing to happen in the car (oops, sorry, I've wet the seat.......).

You don't have the same trouble with hot water bottles do you?

Liz
 Rubbishy 13 Aug 2002

Nevr had a problem with mine. Given it some right stick as well. Stuff it in the top of my bergen, hurl myself into the blueyonder and splat, Rubbishy and his platypus both fine.

Good as a pillow when empty as well
H 13 Aug 2002
> (In reply to MikeyD)
>
> Bottle is 2 years old- don't have receipt, can't remember where I got it from.

what does that matter? - if it has a lifetime guarantee and it's undisputedly a Platypus I'd send it back to the manufacturer anyway.

info on their web-site:
http://www.cascadedesigns.com/customer_service/

Chris Fryer 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Weakboy: Fascinating - didnt know about the electrial currrents bit.

If it has a lifetime guarantee you should be able to take it back to any main distributor and they will give you a new one. An Aussie mate had a Thermarest that he bought in Oz that delaminated. He took it to Snell Sports in Cham and they gave him a brand new one. Not sure if everyone will offer that deal though.
rich 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Weakboy: and, strangely, use the same orifice for reproduction and defecation
Miles T 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: a bit of support for ya, i've had two leak
well, one was pierced by a soggy, soft little wood chipping, and the other cracked and started leaking
i still use them (as i've got one more) but i doubt i'll buy another

i know a lot of people say the easiest thing is just a volvic bottle or similar drinks bottle, if you're that worried about it splitting then run some tape round it. suppose they don't compress, but then neither does a sigg
Miles T 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Weakboy:
> When searching for food, the platypus is relying solely on its electrically sensitive bill to find food. The bill of a platypus can detect small electrical currents put out by the creatures that it eats.
be bugg*r*d if it came across an electric eel then...
OP seth nlo 13 Aug 2002

Platy - yup, gave up on them. plastic seems brittle, especially in extreme cold. mine ended up leaking from a crack.

Very happy with the Camelback I replaced it with. more robust, better quality bits.

Given up on Sigg bottles. 2 have leaked - tiny holes which I assume came from being dropped. Oh and I trashed one by putting it in the freezer to get rid of dents. Forgot to leave enough space for the water to expand as it froze. Bang! Oops. But not Sigg's fault...

Use Nalgene Trail bottles, or cheap plastic bottles from the army surplus if I want a bottle now. Pop bottles crack too easily even if you gaffer tape 'em.
Matt Wall 13 Aug 2002

I use the tried and tested Sigg bottle, and I have never had any problems and they have seen some action! I think that Sigg bottles are the best by far. I know that the plastic things have their advantages, but I think going by your track record you should look into going back to sigg bottles...

Matt
Will 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Matt Wall:

I've liked the concept of the PLatypus, but always found them nothing like robust enough - especially when they're cold. Apart from a few burst/ punctures, I've also had the mouthpiece come out in my mouth. I was belaying at the time, so had to just stand there while the feed tube sprayed me. That was pretty much the last straw

I now use the liner from something like a camelbak- can't remember the actual name. It was a quid more than the equivalent sized platypus, and has been SOOOOOO much better.
 LizS 13 Aug 2002
> Mine were bought with a lifetime guarantee.

Ah, but whose lifetime - yours or the platypus'?
And why do they sell platypatches if they're never supposed to leak...............

Liz

Yanchik 13 Aug 2002

Danska vodka bottles. Lighter than Sigg - flimsier, but so far so good (about a month of alpine mountaineering by now, plus a few years of Lakes trips. It looks battered, but the water stays in.)

Nice big grippy stopper, and a handy bit of plastic just where you'd want it so your lips don't freeze to the metal.

And you get to drink the vodka first. About 10 dollars duty free, though you can get down to about 6 in some places...

My Platypus stays on the shelf waiting for a Cuillin ridge trip...

Y
 Martin W 13 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Just wanted to add myself to the list of satisfied Platypus users. I've used mine everywhere from Venezuela summer to Cairngorm winter and experienced no delamination, no bursting, no cracks and no leaks.

I will agree that the new style mouthpieces are easier to get off than the originals. This makes the tubes easier to clean, imho. The bite valve is also better in the new style ones. They shouldn't come off in use. Make sure they're pushed well down on to the hose when you start, and make sure you've got enough hose free that you're not puylling on the mouthpiece every time you use it. Or gaffer tape it in place.

I can't compare Platypus to Camelback because I've never tried Camelback - partly because I've never had any problems with my Platypi.

As others have said, if it's got a lifetime guarantee and it's faulty, take it or send it back for a replacement or refund. No receipt should be required for a lifetime guarantee - you've got it, that's receipt enough!
OP Anonymous 13 Aug 2002
never had one so can't comment but they look considerably less durable than Camelbak bladders which are much cooler.
Martin Brierley 13 Aug 2002

Mine are going fine. I've never had them in a cold enviroment though, but they get chucked around a bit.

the main advantage I can see is their small empty pack size.
OP steve, b 13 Aug 2002
Having been on a couple of expeditions where lots of people had different makes, most people noticed the camelbaks where in a different league to the platypus and flexi flask. Camelbak's are far better in every way. Had one for 4 years and have never had a problem the larger lid is much better, the bite valves don't leak, the new on/off switches onthe mouth piece is such a good idea and you can buy any sort of add on you could imagine.
Costs a bitmore but well worth it.
 Mark Stevenson 14 Aug 2002
If you send them back to First Ascent, the UK importers they will replace them under the lifetime warrantee.

Have done this once before, but now have another two dead platypuses (is that the correct plural or is it platypi?) I need to send back when I can be bothered and have tracked down my scrap of paper with the address on.

Mark
mo 14 Aug 2002

it a strange phenomenon those platypi. me and bf both bought one, me being very careful with mine and him being sloppy with his. mine leaks (were the hose connects to the bottle) and his is fine (and got a lot more abuse).

i'm going back with mine, and i hope they replace it.

tip: a friend bought one in the rock and ice shop in london, one of their own brands, and that seems fine.

well good luck!

mo
 Colin Thomson 14 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: I think you miss the point. It is a lifetime guarantee, just take it to any stockist and they will swap it for a new one. THey will then just return it to Platypus folk
Martin Brierley 14 Aug 2002
Free naked ladies with everyone returned?

I'll take mine back even though it's working fine!
OP CLH 14 Aug 2002

Well, I might be the only one, but I hate the camelback unbottle I bough to replace a Platypus that had started leaking near the opening after several years of faithful service with much folding etc.

The camelbak screw top has failed after not much use. The thing is ridiculously overdesigned, with that black plastic thing you have to use to handle it. I don't find that big an opening useful at all...

I'm back to using a platypus now.
OP ben e 14 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: in the alps last month we managed to break about 8 platypuses between 6 of us, there wasn't a single person on the trip who didn't have a buggered one!
 Mark Stevenson 15 Aug 2002
In reply to Colin Thomson:
> (In reply to Simon Overton) I think you miss the point. It is a lifetime guarantee, just take it to any stockist and they will swap it for a new one. THey will then just return it to Platypus folk

This unfortunately is not the case. Stockists are only required to do this if you bought it from them in the first place. Otherwise they will just give you the address on the UK importer.
However if the gearshop is being particularly helpful (or you have/are or are going to buy lots of gear) they may well do what you suggest regardless of where you got it from.

Take it back to where you bought it, or persuade your nearest gearshop that you 'did' buy your platypus from them, then they will give you a nice shiny new one.

Mark

BTW FYI the UK Importer/distributer is:
First Ascent
Units 2-7
Limetree Business Park
Matlock
Derbyshire
DE4 3EJ

And for some reason I've got two phone numbers for them
01629 580484 and 583800
adrian 16 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: never had any problems with bursting but mine seems to hold onto the taste of whatever I put in it last summer (grapefruit squash) despite the claim this doens't happen. I guess most plasti bottles do that tho. makes the water taste funky but not unbearable.

Also - they take forever to dry. still I like it a lot.
 Martin W 16 Aug 2002
In reply to adrian:

> mine seems to hold onto the taste of whatever I put in it last summer (grapefruit squash) despite the claim this doens't happen

The Platypus 'Care and Use' instructions do actually say: "Platypus can absorb flavours, so using pure water is best." This is not to be confused with the 'No Plastic Taste' description which says: "Lined with taste-free, food-grade polyethylene so there's no unpleasant plastic taste." One says the Platypus material on its own doesn't taste of anything, the other says that it can pick up flavours from stuff you put in it. The two statements are not incompatible.

You could try baking soda to remove absorbed flavours. This should be OK, according to the Platypus cleaning instructions.
MikeyD 16 Aug 2002
In reply to Martin W: Do they mention anything about the bouquet being spoiled with a decent Rhone Valley red?
 steev 16 Aug 2002

c
a
m
e
l
b
a
k
!

they rule, and they replaced mine when the lid bit started to leak. magical.
Matt C 16 Aug 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Friend has Camelback - leaked from screw-top. I've had 2 Platypus bottles - never any problems. But I am careful with how/where it is packed - i.e. away from sharp climbing kit etc. They are a lot lighter than water bottles - so obviously you can't treat them as harshly.
 Mountain Lass 16 Aug 2002
I've had one platypus fail and another that's lasted well.

I love The duck billed variety though.
Taxonomy pah!
Aristotle has alot to answer for...

Peace
ML
Laura Tate 16 Aug 2002
> After 3 burst bottles including one in a Cairngorm blizzard and one on a sun soaked day at Gimmer I am sick of Platypus bottles. They delaminate and then leak, the tops burst off etc. Anyone had similar problems? Mine were bought with a lifetime guarantee.

what my non-climbing friends call my catheter bag (read platypus) has lasted a good while now without leakage. only problem i find is bite valves coming off without warning and leaving you with a nice wet patch down your top (or once unfortunately inside the tent when i sat on the tube!) have found gaffer tape to be suitable solution, so will be sticking to the duck-billed one.
GFoz 18 Aug 2002

Down with all monotremes. Echidnas ? Pain in the arse more like.

My main concern with them is the tube and nozzles must be real breeding grounds for bacteria and are very awkward to clean unless you want to sterilise like a baby's bottle.

G
 Dan_S 18 Aug 2002
In reply to GFoz:
Keep it in the freezer until needed, that'll stop the little germy bastards growing!

ross 19 Aug 2002
I've got a great and cheap hydration system.
1)Buy a 2 litre bottle of fizzy po or water (whichever is cheaper.
2)Drink contents or pour them away (depending on quality).
3)Fill with water.
4)Put in rucksack.
5)When thirsty - take bottle out, drink some.

(C)Copyright 2002 mcgibboncorp.
 chris j 19 Aug 2002
In reply to ross: Great till you put the rucksack down & the f'ing bottle splits & turns your chalk bag to mud!
MJones 19 Aug 2002
In reply to GFoz:

had a 2 litre platypus for bout 4yrs and its still doing the job nicely, though will say i agree with dirty tube problem although my father managed to clean the tube out very nicely some how the time i leant it to him.. so there must be a way,

but then i guess its down to the abuse you give it.. i'll take it to austria next month and let ya know if comes back intact!!
 Mark Stevenson 04 Sep 2002
Well they may be crap but I've just got two brand new shiny ones back through the post from the importers replaced under the warranty.

Mark
OP Anonymous 12 Sep 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: I just use an old milk bottle.
DaveH 12 Sep 2002
In reply to Anonymous:

To the amusement and/or annoyance of my companions, I kept losing the nozzle of my platypus whilst in the alps. First I lost the clip, so I threaded the nozzle through a loop in the webbing of my rucksack. But then I would do something strenuous, the platypus nozzle would get pulled through the loop and fall off.

So the moral of this boring post is to wind some tape around the nozzle to keep it attached to the tube.
iron in the soul 12 Sep 2002
Platypi are sound. I've even managed to partially melt one of mine and it still doesn't leak.

As for cleaning them - just soak in a baby bottle sterilising fluid like Milton for half an hour or so. Comes up all sparkly clean.

As for the Camelbak/Platypus debate, isn't that largely angels on pin heads? Surely the real question is: are these new fangled hydration systems are better than rigid bottles? I think they are - much more usable.
LA 12 Sep 2002
In reply to Simon Overton: Regarding the lifetime warranty on Platypus products.
It says on the packaging of the goods `Lifetime Warranty with normal use,warranty does not cover abuse or normal wear and tear`
This is a material warranty and does not cover punctures or misuse. If you stick an axe through it it will puncture! if you put a sharp object through it it will puncture! Such misuse is not, unsurprisingly, covered under Platys warranty. If however the materials fail ie. delamination or seam failure then that would be covered under warranty and a replacement provided.
As for cleaning them that is also on the packaging.
Hot soapy water and rinse thoroughly,. For more thorough cleaning add in to the bladder1/4 cup baking soda to 3/4 cup water, shake it.
Add 1/4 cup lemon juice and shake vent by loosening cap(away from face) >Rinse with hot water allow to air dry.
Milton fluid for babies bottles also works well,or you could just rinse out the bladder and drinks tube thoroughly immediately after every use. Enjoy
MJones 07 Oct 2002

well just to make this posting re-surface to the the top of the pile,
and as i said i'd report back, platypus survived the peaks and glaciers of the austrian alps last month so can't be bad ..

whoever it was that said camelbaks look cooler, well 1: do you really worry about how cool you look at great heights or in the outdoors!!?? i mean you're surely not there to make a fashion statement or maybe you are.. & 2: they cost more than a platypus and i don't see many people using them over the platypus..

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...