UKC

peakbouldering.co.uk - comments please

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
 Tom Purnell 08 Feb 2007
Hi ya,

http://www.peakbouldering.co.uk

This is a website that i am developing for bouldering in the peak district. It will hopefully grow to become a great resource for bouldering in this area. When completed it should end up looking something similar to www.yorkshiregrit.com or www.bleau.info

It is currently knee deep in development, however the main layout is done, with only the crag database to do (the main bit!!!).

When completed it will have more images, and hopefully look a bit better. The content at the moment needs to be improved, but you get the picture, lots to do, but enough there for you to coment on.

Before i start the crag and route database i would appreciate your comments on the look and layout of the site, what you like, how it could be improved, etc. Because i want to get this spot on before i start making the crag and route database. Any comments on what you would like to see in the crag and route database would be good too. Criticism is welcome too.

This website will also begin to use advertising to pay for the upkeep of the site once it is fully up and running. If you are interested in this then please contact me too. You can contact me throught the site, on here or by email (peakbouldering@googlemail.com).

Thanks for your help.

Tom Purnell
Anonymous 08 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

The layout is very 90's. Photo headings and better colours would work a treat. The stick men are shit and the colour is bad.

Yorkshire grit has a noce simple layout

Good luck with the main bit!

Fidget 09 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Not sure if it's just my work web machine, but it needs a smaller font, looks a bit 'home page' with one so big...
 monkeydrummer 09 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Its easy to use so don't change that but maybe a few pics to liven the pages up a bit
 Simon 11 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Needs a bit of content - nothing worth looking at and thats the main problem besides poor graphics. I think you may struggle to get anyone to advertise on the site I'm afraid. I hope it works out for you but its a huge task that your undertaking and I think you need to speak to a proffessional if you are going to pull it off...sorry to be so negative.

Si
 Offwidth 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

How are you going to afford the time and expense to run this?

Best of Luck anyway.
OP Tom Purnell 12 Feb 2007
Thanks for some of your comments.

I have redesigned the layout and look of the website, i think it may be more to peoples liking after some of the coments.

I am taking a year off after uni before i start the world of work to have some fun, climb, travel. I will be doing a part time job to earn money for a car, etc. I thought this would be something fun to do, and would be of great benefit to the climbing community. I am making this for everyone, i will get no profit from it, but hopefully enough money from sponsors once it is up and running to pay for the running of the site.

The reason i have put this post on ukclimbing is because this website is going to be for people like you. And i want it to be something you want to use, thats why i am asking for your views and comments.

Enjoy

Tom

ukx 12 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell: Hi there! I agree with a lot of the posts above, the layout does need work, however, rather than just criticising, thought I'd offer something a bit more constructive. I'm a professional web designer and it looks like a fun project. I'm also very good at building databases etc, so if you would like someone to work with on this, or just a helping hand, drop me a mail...

I think you can get me through my forum profile.
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Any chance of putting something (anything!) on The Crags page, a list of where you intend to include would be a good starter and one sample cliff (pick a small one) to see how it is all going to look.

All the best with the project

Chris
 winhill 14 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

It's a bit Sheffield centric - could you add stuff to include Nottingham, Staffs, Manchester etc? (Mainly shops and walls I'm thinking)
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 14 Feb 2007
In reply to Tom Purnell:

Now its gone altogether!

CC
OP Tom Purnell 14 Feb 2007
In reply to Chris Craggs:

Hi ya,

Thanks for your comments eveyone, the site is now going to be redesigned, with the help of some professionals.

It should look really good on its launch and hopefully poeple will find the site extremely useful.

Hope your looking forward to it as much as i am.

Cheers

Please Register as a New User in order to reply to this topic.
Loading Notifications...