UKC

I am the God of Strathyre's new Reactors

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TobyA 12 Mar 2007
In reply to TobyA: Haha! Cheers for that.

Here's a wee review I did-

Reactors are quite different to my old Rages, having a lighter and different feel to the swing. The Reactors seem to like a pretty wristy action and this really improves the success of getting first time placements.
They seemed to work fine on neve and mixed stuff. I was also able to hook small rock edges confidently.
They have the same pick angle as Vipers and seem a similar weight.
I think the ergo handle is excellent and made from a urethane (like skateboard wheels) so it is grippy but won't disintegrate like some rubbber grips. The wee rest above the ergo handle is really good when you are daggering on easier angle stuff.
The micro hammers supplied are a bit wee for hammering pegs so you might want to buy a Rage/ Viper hammer to fit- or if you like an adze you'd have to buy one of them too. I've got mine set up with a proper hammer and a micro hammer. I've also got T rated picks on them for Ecosse, saved the B rated ones for watter ice, annat.
I've only used them for 2 neve/ mixed routes but don't have any complaints. I'd need to get a shot on a water ice route to be able to say if I like them for that.
They do look the business though, and that's what really counts....

As regards falling off them, I haven't managed to fall off this season (yet). But there might still be time! Those Grivel Springy leashes make a huge difference to leashless climbing though. Best thing I've bought apart from the tools this season.

Davie
 Bill Davidson 12 Mar 2007
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre:

Believe it or no Davy but I saw a pair of X-Monsters in Krokan for the first time! Nuthin wrong wi that you may say but he then stuck leashes on them....................... WTF is that no against the law or summit!
In reply to Bill Davidson:

Somebody had a set of them at Ozzimosis this year too. Steven Reid seems to rate them, wonder what they're like? Obviously you'd have a shot when nobody was looking..!

Davie
 mart rich 12 Mar 2007

Did you think about X-monsters as an option to the Reactors? They are a bargain, saw them in La GRave for 99euros, can bet them on the web here for about the same if you look around.

I met someone usingthe X-monsters this winter in Ceillac - looked good, he seemed to like them but then he was only on his second route with them. They may look mad but actually in action they look very good indeed.

Martin
In reply to mart rich:

The leopard print clashes with my colour scheme, so it'd have to be a 'no'.

Davie
 lithos 15 Mar 2007

TonyM used X monsters in Rjulan last week, I wes belaying him, had a go with them, pretty good. Very different action to my quarks. Hammer is tiny. They are springy as well which is a tad odd,

Ask tony he seems happy and very able with them
TWINKLETOES 15 Mar 2007
In reply to I am the God of Strathyre: I wouldn't mind a go with a proper leashless tool. I've been leashless on my Vipers for a wee while now, but I find sometimes on featured stuff, the fang hinders a placement.
In reply to TobyA: Where's that first route in the photos? Nice looking line.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...